Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

Depends on the group. Some are very open to people of all levels... and then some are real fast and really not appropriate for total beginners. Have to use your judgment. If you're so much slower than everyone else that you present a danger on the ice, then that particular game probably isn't for you. On the other hand, playing up is a great way to improve, so long as you aren't just a cone out there. Like I said, reasonable judgment.

I think if you are at a lower ability level, playing with people you know is a better idea than an "open to the public" session where you may not see the benefit of a faster game. Friends will want to help you get better, an open session is just going to be frustrating, IMO.

So, what would you guys say is a base level of skating ability that a person should have before going to play pickup hockey?

It really depends on the skate. I hit a Thursday and Friday night skate that is almost completely guys that played at the very least AAA midget. A few spent some time in the show. It's a very fast game, and best case a skate like that would only be not fun for a beginner. Potentially dangerous for someone that can't at least get out of the way when the play is flying by him/her.

Now the lunch skates I go to are a pretty wide mix of skill levels, and that gears everyone down. There may be some moments when the better guys are controlling the play and we move up the speed. But overall, the group skill level is lower and when you have a regular crowd that's just out to have fun it's a lot easier for a beginner to work into the game.

What I would recommend is going out and watching a skate someone thinks they might want to try. If the average level of play is way above you then you can find something else that suits your ability better.

The other night my buddy and I went down to a pick up that we used to go to regularly, but stopped a while ago because a lot of younger guys who were really immature started showing up and ruining the game for everyone. Thankfully that group wasn't really present this week.

Seeing how many people were wearing each color we decide to split up to make sure things stay even. When the game starts it quickly becomes evident that the teams are very unbalanced. I was probably the only decent player on my team, and at that point I'm probably the the 4th best player in this game. So we are easily outmatched.

With that said however, the guys on the other team, especially the better players, recognize this and tone the game down to a level where everyone can play. Eased up defensively, not taking the puck to dangle around guys who can't skate well, etc.

Well, then two guys show up wearing matching jerseys, we tell them they need to split and they refuse saying they play on the same team. Our bench is now two guys short, and the game is small enough that those two guys make a huge difference. But we just continue playing at first, still a very relaxed game.

That is until these guys get on for their shift. They immediately come in with hard stick checks and overly aggressive defense, setting picks and showing up lesser players. I go to one of the guys on the other team and we discuss re-balancing the teams since they now have two extra guys. So my buddy and another really good player join our team.

After a few more shifts of us trying to play a relaxed game and give the other guys on our team chances with the puck, the three of us get fed up and decide we are going to play these guys like the scouts are watching. So we step up our defense and completely shut the guys down who are playing like jerks.

So of course one of the guys has to open up his yap and remind us that its only open hockey. At this point my buddy gets pretty mad and starts arguing with this guy saying that we had a relaxed game until they came in.

It annoys me when people play like its the championship game in a pickup, especially when its clear the game level isn't that high.

The way one of the local rinks has to shot itself in the foot with greed every year by not enforcing its own rules. The Saturday night skate through the fall and winter is usually a pretty good mix of guys and there's a pretty consistent turn out, it's clearly listed as a 21+ skate. Without fail every summer kids from the local junior B teams start showing up and drive off most of the regulars, a few of us don't have a problem with that skill level. But most of the guys aren't up to that, and the kids don't help matters by refusing to pass to the slower guys or gear down to work everyone into the game. Then fall hits, the kids go back to their teams, and for weeks it's going to be me and 3 or 4 other guys playing 2 on 2. The rink staff act like they have no idea why the turn out sucks and start these silly crisis promotions. Of course, I'm not really going to complain about all the free ice time I end up getting, I'd just rather pay and have a good skate than get the crisis promo's and wait for a decent turn out. If they just enforced their own rules the Saturday night turn out would remain consistent all year around. There's a Friday night midnight hockey that's a higher skill level anyway, let the junior B kids play then. I get the temptation for the extra money, but a week or two of increased turn out until the regulars are driven off doesn't make up for the weeks of low turn out while the regulars are waiting for it to be "safe" again.

I got asked to join a friendly game last Sunday by a friend of mine. Basically, he has a team who plays a "set" other team every week just for fun. No refs or anything, just good ole fashioned hockey. No chance I'm saying no to that!

So I get there, and I recognize some people, take my first shift, and it's very apparent that this is a very low level for my caliber. No problem, I'm gonna have a sweet time setting the other guys up, and I immediately move to defense instead.

The other team isnt too great but they have one dude who isnt too bad, decent hands and all, but as im entering the zone, i drop the puck across, and the guy tries to take my head off (think richards on booth hit). I had my head up the whole time so I was able to dive out of the way, but I didnt expect that kind of shenanigans in a friendly match. I went over to him and let him know to cut that garbage out, since it was a friendly game with beginners around. He tells me "dude, chill out, this is for fun, you had the puck, im allowed to hit you, thats the rules." So not only does he not apologize, he says hes allowed to do that.

He continues with the body work, knocking down some of our players along the boards, even delivering an open ice check on one of our beginners, who can abrely skate, and had the puck in his feet.

No problem, I think to myself. Unlike him, I've actually played in leagues with hitting, something I'm sure he hasn't realized. I tell my defense partner to watch the guy coming up the ice, and try to cut him off at the blueline. Obvious reason? Well, go watch a Scott Stevens highlight video. Guy cuts to the inside of the ice with his head down, i take three crossover strides, and boom, the guy is out. For the rest of the game, he played timidly, refused any body contact whatsoever, and played the right way.

Looks like when the shoe's on the other foot, not so fun.

TL;DR

People who toss the body contact irritate me. They always get what they deserve.

There's a guy I play with who does almost everything on here. Doesn't play D, complains when he doesn't get the puck, takes extremely long shifts, and on top of it fires out of control slap shots from the point. He's going to kill someone one of these days.

So, what would you guys say is a base level of skating ability that a person should have before going to play pickup hockey?

in my experience... a basic foreward/backwards/stopping. You'll get burned by the junior/college/ex pro/even highschool guys but no one cares. just try to keep moving and make an attempt to contribute. don't stay out too long either, especially when the game is playing way above your level.

theres one guy at my local rink that i've seen a few times, can't really skate, just kinda stands around. literately... and takes like 10 minute long shifts.

theres one guy at my local rink that i've seen a few times, can't really skate, just kinda stands around. literately... and takes like 10 minute long shifts.

I recently noticed one guy on our side taking very long shifts; it finally struck me that he wasn't able to skate hard enough to need breaks. Someone has to tell players like him that shifts in pickups should be 60-90 seconds (maybe even less), and it seems to me it would be best if it came from whomever talked them into coming out to the rink.

This doesn't have much to do with playing, but it drives me nuts when guys show up late to the skate. They see your clothes on the bench, they see where your bag is, and how everyone has marked out their space and then sit in your spot. It's doubly annoying when there's an entire empty room next door, and instead of going over there, they need to sit in your spot. Then when the skate is over they act all put out if you expect them to move. On the locker room subject: they always open up a locker room for women, so it really seems odd to me why you'd want to get dressed with the men. I could understand in a beer league game wanting to be in the room with the team for matters related to the game or the social aspect of it. Not really the case during drop-in hockey. Also, if you're going to insist on changing with the guys then don't get your panties in a wad because there are naked guys in the showers.

It also drives me nuts when a guy takes it upon himself to bring his iPod to hook up to the rink's PA system. It's bad enough when the rink has Lady Gaga going in the back ground, I really have no desire to hear "Rocket Man" while playing hockey, or tons of stoner rock that makes you want to go to sleep. Everyone has different tastes in music, I can appreciate that. So how about you do the same and keep the iPod at home. Not to mention it's a lot easier to call for a pass when you don't have to scream over "Who'll Stop the Rain" to do it.

Some pet peeves.

• Long shifts/never come off the ice. It's usually the younger players that do this the most.

• Slapshots in close. That's just not necessary.

• Excessive celebration. You scored a goal in pickup hockey pal. You didn't just win states. Usually younger guys do this...

• Whining when a play gets even slightly physical. Saying "What the fuck man!?" when you get bumped into is pretty lame. Stop being a pussy. This isn't Basketball.

• No goalies showing up.

• People drinking from my water bottle while I'm on the ice. Usually the younger guys do this, I've caught them several times. Little do they know I spit in my water bottle.

• People who dont pay. It happens a lot. Again, usually the younger guys....

Hmmmm, see a trend here???

Some pet peeves.

• Long shifts/never come off the ice. It's usually the younger players that do this the most.

I've seen plenty of old guys do this. And a lot of time, at least in my experience, if the younger guys are taking longer shifts it's due to a big talent disparity in the game and if all the better players end up on the ice they'll stay longer to get some decent play in.

• Slapshots in close. That's just not necessary.

True. I don't block shots on purpose anymore, I certainly don't want to block one from 2 feet away in pick up wearing only half my gear.

• Excessive celebration. You scored a goal in pickup hockey pal. You didn't just win states. Usually younger guys do this...

I guess, sometimes its just goofing around.

• Whining when a play gets even slightly physical. Saying "What the fuck man!?" when you get bumped into is pretty lame. Stop being a pussy. This isn't Basketball.

Agreed, although I got bashed earlier in this thread for saying this

• No goalies showing up.

That's a fact of life man, bring goalies with you or call ahead to see if they're gonna show up. A lot of times I won't show up until 10 minutes before the skate that way I don't lose money if nobody shows up

• People drinking from my water bottle while I'm on the ice. Usually the younger guys do this, I've caught them several times. Little do they know I spit in my water bottle.

You kill it, you fill it. That's bush league if they're drinking your water without filling the empties

• People who dont pay. It happens a lot. Again, usually the younger guys....

I'm not paying if I don't have too. That's the beauty of having friends who work the rink. Sneaking in the back door is another story though.

Hmmmm, see a trend here???

I've seen plenty of older guys do every single thing on that list. There is no age limit for idiots.

the vast majority of my list – the culprits are almost always teens. It's rare you'll find an adult hogging ice time.

the vast majority of my list – the culprits are almost always teens. It's rare you'll find an adult hogging ice time.

Not even remotely true in my area. Everyone seems to do it.

Dudes that challenge people to fights or say they're gonna beat the shizzle out of someone because of stupid stuff... drop the gloves and stumble around already or shut the hell up and stop trying to be the derek boogaard of pick up.. You can barely stand up, you're wasting my time with your antics, and you look like a dick head

Witnessed quite a few yesterday, and odd coincidence the college kids all seemed to be home for Thanksgiving break:)

I've always noticed the "10 minute shift" is really more of a snow ball effect. You have a couple of guys that take asinine shifts, and then the guys on the bench get (understandably) PO'ed and take long shifts. This pisses off yet more guys that are on the bench, and the vicious cycle repeats. IMHO, beginners are actually the worst for the 10 minute shifts. I don't think it's intentional, but I do think they have a hard time skating hard enough to really get to the point of exhaustion.

1. Getting tripped and being called a diver (its pick up, who am I embellishing for????)

2. Cherry pickers

3. Goalies who complain about defense

4. Guys who don't pass

5. Coaches

6. People who chirp other guys for their gear (live and let live right?)

7. Bad players, or any players, who will try not to try

1. Getting tripped and being called a diver (its pick up, who am I embellishing for????)

2. Cherry pickers

4. Guys who don't pass

5. Coaches

6. People who chirp other guys for their gear (live and let live right?)

7. Bad players, or any players, who will try not to try

I've NEVER seen #6 happen. Gosh, #4 happens a lot though. LOL.

I've always noticed the "10 minute shift" is really more of a snow ball effect. You have a couple of guys that take asinine shifts, and then the guys on the bench get (understandably) PO'ed and take long shifts. This pisses off yet more guys that are on the bench, and the vicious cycle repeats. IMHO, beginners are actually the worst for the 10 minute shifts. I don't think it's intentional, but I do think they have a hard time skating hard enough to really get to the point of exhaustion.

Absolutely. I had said something about this a couple of days ago, and I noticed it again yesterday when I was playing goalie. Suddenly it struck me, "Wow, Ty's been out here for a looooooong time." Although Ty is a good guy, he's a big man and new to hockey, so he doesn't skate well; he's more of a walker than a skater. Obviously, he's not tiring, so it doesn't cross his mind to shift out. But, as I said earlier, whoever brings these newbies to their first pickup has to teach them the etiquette of sharing the ice time.

Yesterday illustrated to me that I hate, Hate, HATE goalies who chirp during pickups.

I played goalie yesterday and got absolutely worked over. There's no doubt the side I was on had more of the bottom tier players, so I faced a lot more odd man rushes, but I just played horribly. The way I look at it is if I played with better technique -- like dropping into the butterfly more -- i would have given up a lot less goals. In other words, maybe I faced more shots than the other goalie, but it's my fault that I let so many in. I told the guys afterward that I must have gotten my holidays confused, because I thought it was Christmas out there....

Anyway, I had really wanted to skate out yesterday (I only played goalie because just one showed at my normal skate), so i decided to skate out in the open pickup. What a mistake. They turn the pickups into mini games, switching goalies after one team scores five goals. On the surface, that sounds like a great idea to add a little hustle to the game, but the goalies become jerks because of it. They were screaming through their masks the entire 90 minutes about lack of defense, but of course it was muffled, so all we heard was. "ARRRGHGH! RAAGGHGH!"

This skate was much faster than my regular pickup, particularly since some of the college club players were home for the week. After one goal, the goalie snapped at no one in particular, although obviously at me, so I felt like saying, "Hey, you know how that guy made you look foolish on that goal?? You know why?? Because that guy's pretty good and made me look like an idiot before he got to you!"

The point is too many guys act like jerks at goalie, yet they're too stupid to realize that it's not always lack of hustle in front of them that puts them in a position to look bad. Sometimes it's lack of skill.

There isn't any worst place than pick up or drop in hockey for a goalie. It's as simple as that. Usually, at least in my area, people who show up at pick up/drop in, organized or not, are for the most part people who have always played on outdoor rinks, pick up or drop in hockey. Most of them have no clue about positionning and I would include myself in the lot when playing out. Most skate all over the place, back up on D in the wrong spot thus screening you or worst, deflecting pucks in their own net. I've been guilty of about every imaginable bad play/positionning at any given position and I've played them all with moderate to passable success at any given time since I've been playing hockey which was about 30 years or so ago.

A lot of goalies at pick up/drop in are the same. They've never been coached or played any league hockey whatsoever and have learned the trade withoug any other help then watching others, hockey on tv, the net or reading books. It was the case with me too.

In other words, you can't ask for too much out of the people who show up at these games. Some show up to show boat as they are visibly a lot better than the rest of the crue while others show up just to have fun. A smaller portion shows up to showboat although they don't have the abilities to do so but in their own little world, they do.

I've always mainly played at drop ins and organized pick up but for the few times that I have played tourneys or leagues I can say that it is much easier for a goalie as league players usually have a clue as to where to be on the ice and usually know what they are doing. It is thus much easier for a goalie to anticipate the plays. I know I used to play better in league play even if the caliber was much higher than what I was used too.