Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

My four most hated things about pick/up shinny are:

#1 Guys who use your water bottle/Gatorade without asking! This pisses me off! I mean this really pisses me off! It's cold/flu season I don't want your germs. It's almost like you've got to hide your water bottle on the bench.THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!!

#2 Guys who take it way too seriously, like they're in game 7 of the cup finals. It's just pick up with a bunch of different levels. Who cares if we are losing! It's for fun and exercise, please take a chill pill.

#3 Guys who shout and say at the top of their lungs ONE, when a guy is getting off the ice. Hey pal I can see that guy coming to the bench relax please. We are not in the NHL where a poor shift change can cause us to give up a 2 on 1 or something like that.

#4 Guys who want to goon it up on you just cause you are better than them. Yes you are a pylon and I am going to skate around you like you are one. I did it on my last rush and I will do it again. No need to slash me, b*tch!

My four most hated things about pick/up shinny are:

#1 Guys who use your water bottle/Gatorade without asking! This pisses me off! I mean this really pisses me off! It's cold/flu season I don't want your germs. It's almost like you've got to hide your water bottle on the bench.THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!!

#2 Guys who take it way too seriously, like they're in game 7 of the cup finals. It's just pick up with a bunch of different levels. Who cares if we are losing! It's for fun and exercise, please take a chill pill.

#3 Guys who shout and say at the top of their lungs ONE, when a guy is getting off the ice. Hey pal I can see that guy coming to the bench relax please. We are not in the NHL where a poor shift change can cause us to give up a 2 on 1 or something like that.

#4 Guys who want to goon it up on you just cause you are better than them. Yes you are a pylon and I am going to skate around you like you are one. I did it on my last rush and I will do it again. No need to slash me, b*tch!

x1000000000. I can't believe I didn't think of posting that lol. LIke can people really not remember to bring their own drinks? I mean they are only playing for 2 hours. Why would they need to keep hydrated.

Also I hate when people try to play referee. Like seriously, I don't care if I was tripped, we don't need to stop play and take over at the red line

Not everyone is paying close attention. A lot of people chat on the bench or just may not be following the game closely. People yell that to make sure you go becuase they want you to keep things moving.

Not everyone is paying close attention. A lot of people chat on the bench or just may not be following the game closely. People yell that to make sure you go becuase they want you to keep things moving.

I understand that, and I normally just nudge the guy and tell him "you're up" and he'll respond. But you sometimes get the guy who calls out "ONE" in a pissed off tone because you just wasted half a second not paying attention to the change. Normally those are the guys who don't pass the puck to the less skilled, or get pissed because the less skilled couldn't handle the pass.

The worst has gotta be the guy who doesn't touch the defensive zone.

There is this one guy who is a regular and he stays at the blue line the whole time waiting for a breakout pass. His stick handling is brutal too (sounds like hes chopping wood). Comes down everytime and goes five hole

The worst has gotta be the guy who doesn't touch the defensive zone.

There is this one guy who is a regular and he stays at the blue line the whole time waiting for a breakout pass. His stick handling is brutal too (sounds like hes chopping wood). Comes down everytime and goes five hole

So don't pass him the puck. Ahh but then that would give said person a reason to come on here and add to this massive list....it's a vicious cycle

So don't pass him the puck. Ahh but then that would give said person a reason to come on here and add to this massive list....it's a vicious cycle

I usually play on the opposite team. Its frustrating for his team more than it is for ours.

pass in the shins every time they do that usually results in the message being received with the guys I play with..

I've done similar to a guy that would beaver-tap on the ice like he was having a seizure. Regardless of whether he was open or not, or if you had 3 guys on you against the boards, he'd smack the ice so hard it sounded like he was going to break his stick. It started to get annoying, so when he'd do it I'd rifle him a really hard pass and he'd lose it everytime. After the 2nd or 3rd time he stopped trying to break the ice with his stick. Normally it doesn't bother me much, but he's also the same guy that will look you off on EVERY 2-on-1, but if you don't pass it to him he stares you down like you just lost the Cup for him. He's also the same guy that took a full wind-up one-timer from 4 feet off the crease, and put it 2 feet over the crossbar. With atleast 2 or 3 people in front. Guy is retarded.

The repeated circle back into your own zone until the guy who thinks he's Bobby Orr's reincarnated self finds a hole to go coast to coast.

Just. The. Worst.

The repeated circle back into your own zone until the guy who thinks he's Bobby Orr's reincarnated self finds a hole to go coast to coast.

Just. The. Worst.

You know how you fix that? Take the puck from him or hit him.

You know how you fix that? Take the puck from him or hit him.

I've played on a couple teams with guys like that. I always used to poke the puck away from them, then everyone on the ice (both teams) would laugh. It seemed to fix the problem (sometimes :/)

Played shinny at lunch today and was feeling good and thought I was pretty close to skill level with the rest of the guys UNTIL I came in with the puck and their D slowwwllly backed up and gave me all the room in the world to shoot without even trying to check me. I appreciate the sentiment but I won't get any better if you take it easy on me and I realized it must have been clear to the other guys on the ice that I was a weak player.

Played shinny at lunch today and was feeling good and thought I was pretty close to skill level with the rest of the guys UNTIL I came in with the puck and their D slowwwllly backed up and gave me all the room in the world to shoot without even trying to check me. I appreciate the sentiment but I won't get any better if you take it easy on me and I realized it must have been clear to the other guys on the ice that I was a weak player.

It was nice they did that, but something like that would make me angry after a while. Like you said, you arent going to get any better if people are taking it easy on you all the time.

It was nice they did that, but something like that would make me angry after a while. Like you said, you arent going to get any better if people are taking it easy on you all the time.

Yeah it was nice. I think I am more pissed realizing that I didn't look as good out there as I thought I did :)

It can be hard to balance out going hard enough so that a weaker player is learning something but not being a douche bag just because you could take the puck at will. It's kinda like there's this girl in her early 20's that just started playing in one of the skates I go to. Everyone is more or less content to let the offsides thing go with her, and it's not something that bothers me really, but at the same time how is she gonna learn if no one says anything. But on the flip side you don't want to be an A-hole and penalize whatever team she's on because she can't skate well enough to get out of the zone like everyone else. As for defending her I usually give pointers, and will take the puck away if she tries something that just wouldn't work. A lot of the other guys just let her shoot it...... I'm not sure whose right, wrong, or even if that applies to these situations.

And you'll be even more pissed and say the better players are being dicks when they play you for real and you lose the puck .4 seconds after each time you get it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Skate with people that are your ability, when no one challenges in that group anymore you find a group thats a little better, and so on and so forth. Going from lunchtime D league pick up to the Saturday night skate full of ex college and junior players is going to be frustrating for everyone. You'll be frustrasted because you can't keep up and really just take up space, they'll be frustrated because you can't keep up and just take up space, hindering whichever side you're playing on and becoming a safety hazard for everyone on the ice. And GoBucky, I'm not calling you out by any means, I'm just feeding off of your post.

And you'll be even more pissed and say the better players are being dicks when they play you for real and you lose the puck .4 seconds after each time you get it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Skate with people that are your ability, when no one challenges in that group anymore you find a group thats a little better, and so on and so forth. Going from lunchtime D league pick up to the Saturday night skate full of ex college and junior players is going to be frustrating for everyone. You'll be frustrasted because you can't keep up and really just take up space, they'll be frustrated because you can't keep up and just take up space, hindering whichever side you're playing on and becoming a safety hazard for everyone on the ice. And GoBucky, I'm not calling you out by any means, I'm just feeding off of your post.

True, but I think most people would much rathar have people playing them for real than to have people go easy on them all he time. Honestly, I wouldnt say those players were being dicks, it would either motivate me to get better or I would choose to play in a league of people who are closer to my level.

I cant imagine that anyone would feel very good if they went out there and busted their butt and felt good about how they played, only to later find out that all the other players were just patronizing them and playing them easy just to make them feel better.

What about someone giving you room say once for every three times you come down? That's basically what I've been doing when helping out at my cousins practices. I'll try to stickhandel through them(with no speed so it's pretty easy to take it from me) a few times then let them get it from me.

Same thing at pick up, I try not to be obvious when giving people some room to manuver and don't try to show anyone up.

What about someone giving you room say once for every three times you come down? That's basically what I've been doing when helping out at my cousins practices. I'll try to stickhandel through them(with no speed so it's pretty easy to take it from me) a few times then let them get it from me.

Same thing at pick up, I try not to be obvious when giving people some room to manuver and don't try to show anyone up.

That's a nice balance. As I said, I appreciated the guys trying to make it enjoyable for me. I was just disappointed that it was obvious to them I sucked :)

This morning we had three kids wearing no facial protection. Two of them couldn't even skate. I don't want to be responsible for one of those idiots getting hurt especially since they looked they were in high school or maybe just out.