Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

Oh yeah? We had some douche bag tonight stay out literally 30 minutes and went really hard on the new guys. It didn't take long before a couple guys and I said something to him.

Did he throw a punch? The time he took this girl that had been skating like 4 months into the boards I told him to take it the f*** down a notch and without even dropping the gloves he tried to hit me.

I hate that no one wants to play defense and i am left alone. I hate when there is no goalie and the players cherry pick. I dont see the point of trying to get a breakaway on an open net...

Since my pick up games generally feature a 5 forward technique, I tend to play a hybrid forward/defenseman. I'll both lead the attack and be the first one back. (Even when one of the lazy "forwards" is already in the neutral zone when I'm caught deep.) I like to do a lot of skating for exercise, but I probably take some of the shortest shifts.

If the rest of the guys on the rink are playing good positions I will just play positionally, but since that is rare, I just skate my butt off either way.

I think I need to start bringing a few bars of soap with me to drop-in to wash out the mouths of the young teenage hot-doggin' wingers who curse and swear when I shut 'dem danglers down on D.

Douche bag of the universe award to that guy.

Sorry, I didn't want to claim a whole page by quoting. Now, this is the most entertaining rant I've read in the while. My douche count was at 11 or 12. But on the other hand I might know his cousin. :wink: And I'm guessing you might not like to play with me as a partner as I'm a wingfensemen. :tongue: Not a lazy one(Or at least I try), but I've been having a positional crisis after playing house for a season and not finding a legitimate reason to play real D.

I love when people think pick up is a time to hit like the pros. This guy tried laying me out and in the process cracked my wisdom tooth with his cage.

Going to get this thing pulled tomorrow.

168vno1.jpg

I love when people think pick up is a time to hit like the pros. This guy tried laying me out and in the process cracked my wisdom tooth with his cage.

Damn dude. That's messed up. What happened his cage just nailed your back jaw or you clenched your teeth when hit? No mouth guard? Best of luck man. Dentist = death.

168vno1.jpg

Yup just spent an hour or so last week in the chair for a root canal, from a puck to the mouth.

the best of luck to you, wisdom teeth are a real pain.

That's why I hate people taking slap shots 4-5 ft in front of me. I don't care how "good" you are at keeping the puck down, but it's drop in. Last time it happened, we only had 1 goalie show up and this show off was taking clappers all the time..on the empty net. The 4th time he did it..I just threw my stick at the puck as he winded up.

Everyone cracked up and he got the point.

It happened like 5 days ago. His helmet/cage hit the side of my jaw. Needless to stay I stood this guy up, but still. This is the xray from the right(the only one I managed to sneak home with me) so you can't really see the damage. I have a filling in that tooth so it's blocking the crack which went straight through to the filling. You can see how close the crack is to the nerve. Plus my gum is wicked swollen now. So to avoid all pain and infection I've just decided to get it pulled.

Sorry, I didn't want to claim a whole page by quoting. Now, this is the most entertaining rant I've read in the while. My douche count was at 11 or 12. But on the other hand I might know his cousin. :wink: And I'm guessing you might not like to play with me as a partner as I'm a wingfensemen. :tongue: Not a lazy one(Or at least I try), but I've been having a positional crisis after playing house for a season and not finding a legitimate reason to play real D.

I don't mind when guys change positions, it's drop in and it's going to happen. What peeves me is he does it solely for the purpose of creating the least amount of skating so he can stay out for the 15 minute iron man shift.

It happened like 5 days ago. His helmet/cage hit the side of my jaw. Needless to stay I stood this guy up, but still. This is the xray from the right(the only one I managed to sneak home with me) so you can't really see the damage. I have a filling in that tooth so it's blocking the crack which went straight through to the filling. You can see how close the crack is to the nerve. Plus my gum is wicked swollen now. So to avoid all pain and infection I've just decided to get it pulled.

Yeah after I got hit it hurt for like a few days then went away and thought I was healed, then about a week or so later had the the worst pain I literally ever felt and it felt like the tooth was gonna pop out.

did you hear about the dude from Boston College who broke his Jaw from a cleared puck?

No I didn't. I was wearing a half shield though, no cage.

There was actually a case with a team from where I'm from and some kid getting arrested. At a junior game the goalie baseball swung his stick into a kids jaw....he got arrested.

there's a kid that plays with us who thinks he's the hottest shit on ice. common story, i know, but he's epitome of a douche. On top of it, he sucks. flat out sucks. skates with his head down, without the puck, he skates like a moron, and he looks like a hunch back. his dad owns the rink we play at, and the last few weeks he's gotten into shit with some guys that have been playing there forever. He caught one guy in the face twice, then as the same guy was skating up the ice with the puck, this kid starts hacking him. after a little bit, the other guy lost it and crosschecked him in the back, then put a beauty clean hit on him and socked him in the head. His dad comes down and goes on a tirade, and everyone in the rink basically told the guy to eff off. the kid didn't skate within 10 feet of that guy the rest of the night.

so you'd think he'd learn after that.

well next time i'm out with them, he catches me in the head twice as i'm skating by. he's one of those jackasses who skates like they are chopping wood or rowing a boat. his stick is swinging wildly at their side, up and down and around in about a 4foot radius. he caught me on the way up and down, so I gave him a great shot in the side and he didn't get it. mind you, he hit me about 3 seconds after I slashed his stick for almost catching me. he looked at me, and I go "watch your fucking stick bud." then whamo. the kid's going to get wrecked soon because none of us can stand him anymore. not to mention at the last skate he was celebrating after every goal like it was game seven, jumping into the glass and shit.

they allow you to wear visors in club? or was this pick up?

This was in a 20s pick up league. We have to wear cages in NCHA, but we might be going NCAA in a year or two which has rumored about switching to visors in upcoming years.

There are no clean hits when it's pickup, for the record.

If everyone is playing a clean game, then yes, I would agree with you. When a guy is constantly running people and high-sticking them, then how else would you police that?

It's not like it wasn't unwarranted. the kid was being a moron and got nailed for it. The guy could have driven him head first into the boards, or slashed him in the head or something, but instead he hit him clean to let him know.

If everyone is playing a clean game, then yes, I would agree with you. When a guy is constantly running people and high-sticking them, then how else would you police that?

Unfortunately you don't. Everyone hates playing with the tight-ass back from the NHL grind for summer practice, but taking the matter into your own hands serves no one well. It falls on the rink to police the ice, but I too know, this rarely, if ever, happens.

If you want to push your luck, injure him at pick-up with a clean hit, and see how far the "hockey play" argument gets you in litigation.

This was in a 20s pick up league. We have to wear cages in NCHA, but we might be going NCAA in a year or two which has rumored about switching to visors in upcoming years.

Yeah I was talking with the coach at my school he says that the NCAA will be going to visors in 2012