Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

This Prep school kid showed up tonight. No one knows him. He skates over to me on the bench and says, "we try to keep the shots and passes down here. Ok?". First off the only thing I did while on the ice was bail him out on D and throw a stretch saucer pass from goal line to just past center ice. Second, who is this kid? Third, the group plays together three to four times a week so we knew he was the FNG. Lastly, we all wear shields or less. We all throw in the high shots, even from the point. Who the F!@# are you?

This Prep school kid showed up tonight. No one knows him. He skates over to me on the bench and says, "we try to keep the shots and passes down here. Ok?". First off the only thing I did while on the ice was bail him out on D and throw a stretch saucer pass from goal line to just past center ice. Second, who is this kid? Third, the group plays together three to four times a week so we knew he was the FNG. Lastly, we all wear cages or less. We all throw in the high shots even okay with high shots from the point. Who the F!@# are you?

Doesn't everybody? :biggrin:

Might have said this before, but it happened all night last night. I get annoyed at pick up games when a guy playing defense just backs up all the way to the net every time you come down 1 on 1. If I'm at the blue line and your half way to the net still backing up im just going to have to shoot through you so don't get mad when you get hit.

Might have said this before, but it happened all night last night. I get annoyed at pick up games when a guy playing defense just backs up all the way to the net every time you come down 1 on 1. If I'm at the blue line and your half way to the net still backing up im just going to have to shoot through you so don't get mad when you get hit.

Pull up and wait for your team; pass the puck. Stop trying to be Gretzky at pick up.

I don't think that me coming down 1 on 1 and wanting the D to actually attempt to play defense makes me Gretzky, I think you're carrying over ur anger from another thread into this one (I.E. me thinking Steve Ott is a scumbag). which is probably why u responded the way u did.

I skipped morning hockey to sleep in because I thought I'd be too tired with morning hockey work and then night hockey, and of course night hockey got canceled while I was at work, so not only did I not play all day, but I had to keep my bag in my car for 10 hours even though I wasn't playing. (My bag doesn't smell horrible, but I don't want any smell to linger in my car.)

Doesn't everybody? :biggrin:

Thank you I did not proof read it! LOL!

I meant shields or less and no shoulder pads. I was that fired up that I missed it!

Thank you I did not proof read it! LOL!

I meant shields or less and no shoulder pads. I was that fired up that I missed it!

aaaaahhh. Roger that!

I don't think that me coming down 1 on 1 and wanting the D to actually attempt to play defense makes me Gretzky, I think you're carrying over ur anger from another thread into this one (I.E. me thinking Steve Ott is a scumbag). which is probably why u responded the way u did.

So he backs up and makes you shoot around him? So what exactly do you want him to do? Step up so you can deke and walk in on the goalie 1 on 0? I'm confused.

It's just like playing D in no contact adult leagues. If you play too close to him he'll just go around you because you can't take the body. So leave a bigger gap. You could actually trying playing hockey and working on a skill set that doesn't include you looking like a douche every time you go into the zone (read: passing, cycling, getting assits?) This is has nothing to do with your thoughts on Ott; it has everything to do with me hating people that shoot into you without regard during pick up. It not fun for the people playing D forced to block shots because you shoot it into them, and not fun for your teammates having you be a one pump and done every time you get it into the zone.

That's a pretty harsh mentality. "I don't like the way you play so I'm going to blast a shot at you. Sucks if you get hurt, but you should have played me closer like I want you too."

That's a pretty harsh mentality. "I don't like the way you play so I'm going to blast a shot at you. Sucks if you get hurt, but you should have played me closer like I want you too."

What would you do if someone backed up until they were standing in front of the goalie all game.

It's just like playing D in no contact adult leagues. If you play too close to him he'll just go around you because you can't take the body. So leave a bigger gap. You could actually trying playing hockey and working on a skill set that doesn't include you looking like a douche every time you go into the zone (read: passing, cycling, getting assits?) This is has nothing to do with your thoughts on Ott; it has everything to do with me hating people that shoot into you without regard during pick up. It not fun for the people playing D forced to block shots because you shoot it into them, and not fun for your teammates having you be a one pump and done every time you get it into the zone.

Very harsh and a lot of assumptions Not sure where in my original post I said I don't pass I gave a 1 on 1 scenario there's no need to be a prick 'one pump chump' lol.. quite clear u are perturbed about something greater than the content of my first post to be this mad and make a personal attack. I simply said I don't enjoy when people back up all the way to the goalie. I don't consider standing in front of a goalie playing defense. Passing or not isn't going to change the fact the D man plays so deep he is standing in front of the net every time we have a rush(buy some goalie pads if that's what u wanna do). All i'm saying is if you want to stand in front of a net then have a blast but don't be mad if you get hit.

What would you do if someone backed up until they were standing in front of the goalie all game.

Take advantage of the screen, and thank the nice man.

There's no reason to be shooting into people at shinny. Pass the puck, pull the D-Man out of position, make a play. Do something fun, don't just skate into the zone... shoot... then turn the puck over. It's not all about how many goals you get in a session of pick up. Hell, how about tell the D-Man in a break that he should play up. Help him improve his game. Help your teammates improve by slowing down and waiting for a teammate to catch up and give a nice saucer. This is shinny; not game 7. And for the record the content of your post is exactly what frustrates me at pick up. I've been hit several times from shots at the blue line in 1/2 ice shinny when I was ontop of the hash marks. That's not fun, and you look like a jackass.

Rinks not calling the league manager or the guy renting ice for pick-up and letting them know that the schedule has changed and you can get on a little earlier than 10:40! I don't think everyone who cancels ice cancels the day of. Frustrating to walk in the rink, see clean, dry ice that has just been sitting there and know that I'll be getting home an hour later (or drinking fewer beers) for no reason other than laziness.

Shoot at the open areas of the net not the d-man like 85% of the people out there.....if you hit the d-man go home and practice your aim..........make a play pull up and make a pass

the "bro" at drop in who throws his stick when you get a clean hard earned break away. next time you throw your stick better plan on getting a new one after i snap it.

You shouldn't have any break aways at shinny. You should pull up immediately and look to pass.

Aaaaand I'm being totally sarcastic.

Had an older guy in a visor At pickup today ream me out for following through on my shots high, even though I was nowhere close to hitting anyone. then about 5 minutes later he slashes me in the face, (I had a cage) and told me that I am fair game for wearing a. cage. I brush it off, then he spears me in the upper chest area for no reason. My friend and another older guy decided that the guy had done enough and knocked him flat on the arse. Rink manager saw it luckily, agreed that the guy was a d**che, kicked him out and apologized for the inconvenience of the guy by giving me a card worth 3 free pickup sessions. nice to see that there are some nice rink guys around

You shouldn't have any break aways at shinny. You should pull up immediately and look to pass.

Aaaaand I'm being totally sarcastic.

LOL i dont really get many, and my buddy plays net so i had something for him.. or so i thought when a stick went into my feet and knocked the puck away :facepalm:

Had an older guy in a visor At pickup today ream me out for following through on my shots high, even though I was nowhere close to hitting anyone. then about 5 minutes later he slashes me in the face, (I had a cage) and told me that I am fair game for wearing a. cage. I brush it off, then he spears me in the upper chest area for no reason. My friend and another older guy decided that the guy had done enough and knocked him flat on the arse. Rink manager saw it luckily, agreed that the guy was a d**che, kicked him out and apologized for the inconvenience of the guy by giving me a card worth 3 free pickup sessions. nice to see that there are some nice rink guys around

Don't you wish life always worked out that well.

Tonight on an icing, I had one young chicken**** shove the skate out from under me by poking at my skate blade with the tip of his stick blade... during open hockey for crying out loud! :facepalm: