Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

main thing i hate is the kids that wind up for slap shots at the hash marks and then when you say something to them they want to fight and act like the hard asses they really aren't.

Elbowers and check-from-behinders in shinny. Just because I poked the puck away.

If Ifs and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas. This topic has reached 74 pages. There's always going to be somebody out there that does something you don't like. Ignore it, address it,or don't go. If a guy two hands you in pick up, two hand him right back, if he does it again, drop the gloves. If a guy whacks you in the arm, chop him across his wrist. In a perfect world everybody would play nicely and apologize if they did something wrong, but that doesn't happen very often. Sometime's you have to go overboard to get the point across.

If Ifs and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas. This topic has reached 74 pages. There's always going to be somebody out there that does something you don't like. Ignore it, address it,or don't go. If a guy two hands you in pick up, two hand him right back, if he does it again, drop the gloves. If a guy whacks you in the arm, chop him across his wrist. In a perfect world everybody would play nicely and apologize if they did something wrong, but that doesn't happen very often. Sometime's you have to go overboard to get the point across.

Completely disagree. You just like starting sh** don't you? It's friggin shinny, no need to go ape just cause someone is playing a little edgy; you'll just look the fool. It's one thing if the other player is doing all of this on purpose and being an a** about it, but it's something else if they're just playing edgier than necessary. It's shinny, drop-in, free skate. If it bothers you, talk to the person; no need for this eye-for-an-eye nonsense. Going for revenge isn't going to help anything, it will only escalate.

Agree with aireaye.....luckily everyone is pretty respectful in the shinnys I go to.. 99.9% of the guys realize there's noone in the stands...and I mean NO ONE!!!

Theres a general bitching thread, this is the hockey bitching thread. Simple as that.

might have been mentioned already, but the hot shots that show up only wearing skates, shins, gloves, and a helmet and try to dangle everyone. I feel like I have to be extra careful so as not to hurt the idiot. I just stopped playing the kid today. head down, skated like he crapped his pants, backhand toe drag everytime.

Pick up is the perfect place to learn to play...if you are in with a good group of guys. 9 times out of 10 if a beginner shows up at the pickup session I frequent, almost every guy won't even look his way when he is on the ice. I just wish guys would remember when they started playing the game and how it felt. It seems like when a player starts to get good, he forgets what it was like when he first started.

Not sure if it's the same with anybody else but my parents made me learn how to skate really well before signing me up for house league the first time. From my first game ever I was already one of the top players in the league, pretty much just because I could out skate everybody. I don't remember what it's like to be that beginner player because I've never been that player. Yes, I've played against people better than me but I could pretty much hold my own against almost all the kids.

However I can imagine that it's not very fun for those kids who rarely touch the puck because, well, they rarely touch the puck. I do try to distribute the puck out there but like others have mentioned, the new guys are usually in a useless position and someone else is in a better position. I once passed the puck to one of these beginner players wide open in front of the net and he tried to one-time it and he missed and landed on his ass instead. Of course even though that happens doesn't mean I won't pass it to him again, but that's what it means for most people.

What annoys me at shinny is the puck hogs who are constantly calling for a pass but then for the life of them they won't pass back or to anybody else. Then when you decide to never pass to them again they bitch at you. :rolleyes:

Well the same guy who I've complained about for slashing has oficially been named Hacksaw Jim Duggan. This D-bag highsticked me and that's not what bothered me he didn't apologize but said it's fine you have a cage. :mad:

I went to a pickup game last weekend and there was a guy who didnt even know how to hold his stick. He only held it with one hand and he held it in the middle of the shaft. He then skated by pushing off with only his right foot. I know you need to get experience and playing time to get better but this guy needed to learn how to skate and learn how to hold a hockey stick before he played in a game. It just sucks cause you are playing short handed evertime he is on the ice.

Had a couple of experiences like that. Most of the time when I play in my hometown its just dropin/shinny. There were a couple of kids that had just started to learn to skate, and they were sitting on the side of the rink just watching us play. I went over and asked them to suit up and join in...

pickup/shinny is just to have fun, and for newbies to learn stuff. Normally if there is a newbie on the team, we'll let that team have an additional person until the newbie is comfortable enough on their own. You meet a lot of interesting people that way, and lot of weird ones as well.

Not sure if it's the same with anybody else but my parents made me learn how to skate really well before signing me up for house league the first time. From my first game ever I was already one of the top players in the league, pretty much just because I could out skate everybody. I don't remember what it's like to be that beginner player because I've never been that player. Yes, I've played against people better than me but I could pretty much hold my own against almost all the kids.

However I can imagine that it's not very fun for those kids who rarely touch the puck because, well, they rarely touch the puck. I do try to distribute the puck out there but like others have mentioned, the new guys are usually in a useless position and someone else is in a better position.

I understand that some people have played since they were three years old, and have no idea what it was like when they started playing. My main thing is that not everyone was that lucky. If a guy isn't trying to get open, or always seems to be right next to an opposing player, I understand that he won't be seeing any pucks. But when I see a new guy busting his ass to get open...and is open, and one of the regulars doesn't even look his way just because he isn't good enough in his eyes to get the puck...it grinds my gears quite a bit.

The biggest problem for me is that we have one pickup night a week that is specifically for beginners, and yet the hotshots still show up. It's VERY difficult to learn when you never get to touch the puck. I understand that pickup on any other night is going to simply be a skating exercise since nobody is going to pass to me, but on a beginner night there's no reason why those gretzky wannabes need to be there.

The biggest problem for me is that we have one pickup night a week that is specifically for beginners, and yet the hotshots still show up. It's VERY difficult to learn when you never get to touch the puck. I understand that pickup on any other night is going to simply be a skating exercise since nobody is going to pass to me, but on a beginner night there's no reason why those gretzky wannabes need to be there.

I certainly feel for you in a situation where it's only supposed to be beginners on the ice. It seems to me that a lot of the things that people complain about in this thread could be rectified by having different pickup sessions for different skill levels. If everyone one the ice is at the same level it would ensure that most people out there are looking for the same thing from the ice time. Obviously this isn't feasible in all places, but in places where it is, it could solve a lot of problems.

The only problem is that it would cost the rinks twice as much potential ice time, and I doubt they make as much off of pickup as they do renting slots out/public skating/etc.

Public skating session as a comparative...

Pick-up; 20 skates x $12 = $240

Skate; 100 public x $6 = $600

Not even getting into rental skate costs.

The rink I play at has Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced skates on three different nights. Theres also an "invite only" over 40 night.

That doesnt keep novices from showing up for intermediate night and good skaters from showing up for the Novice skate. I have skated with the novice guys a few times and its alot of fun just getting some ice and setting those guys up. Its fun to watch people learn and get better. Plus they seem to have alot more fun and are joking and whatnot since they dont feel the pressure to be competitive. That being said, advanced skaters dangling and skating coast to coast against novice folks is just stupid and rude. Like fighting a girl or stealing a gold medal from a special olympian. If youre gonna skate a novice pickup, then treat for what it is or should be, a learning session. Basically, its Golden rule stuff, just dont be an asshole...

I see more problems with novice skaters at more advanced skates. I'm talking real novices, who lack the ability to control their bodies and sticks on skates and have trouble stopping or changing directions. They can be a real menace on the ice. I avoid them like the plague because they are bound to give you a stick in the chops or hurt themselves falling on top of you...

The only problem is that it would cost the rinks twice as much potential ice time, and I doubt they make as much off of pickup as they do renting slots out/public skating/etc.

Public skating session as a comparative...

Pick-up; 20 skates x $12 = $240

Skate; 100 public x $6 = $600

Not even getting into rental skate costs.

Like I said, its clearly not feasible at all rinks, but I've seen more than a few multi-pad rinks that have some of the rinks sitting empty during the time when there is pickup going on in one of the others. In situations like that it would seem to be an easy way to remove a lot of the frustration voiced here.

A dude shows up late to drop in. Great player and all and probably the best on the ice but takes a 20 minute shift I kid you not. He wasn't on my team though but just seeing it was disturbing.

I hate the guy that shows up to the Friday morning skates, walks in the locker room, drops his gear and heads directly to the shitter. Does the whole locker room really have to deal with your morning glory?

I hate the guy that shows up to the Friday morning skates, walks in the locker room, drops his gear and heads directly to the shitter. Does the whole locker room really have to deal with your morning glory?

A guy taking a pre-game duece is a pet peeve of yours? Now we're jsut getting petty.

There is an entire roller hockey team full of 18-19 year old punk ass rich kids who show up to pick ups, always wear the same jerseys, try to make sure its just them vs. whoever else shows up. they whine and bitch and moan whenever someone on the other team is better than they are. I dont have any particular issue with them because they never screw with me but they try to start fights with lots of people all the time. its pretty lame. kids are ultimate wiggers to boot.

There is an entire roller hockey team full of 18-19 year old punk ass rich kids who show up to pick ups, always wear the same jerseys, try to make sure its just them vs. whoever else shows up. they whine and bitch and moan whenever someone on the other team is better than they are. I dont have any particular issue with them because they never screw with me but they try to start fights with lots of people all the time. its pretty lame. kids are ultimate wiggers to boot.

A local travel team has been coming down to open ice recently. They always play together, forcing everyone else to play on the other team. Some weeks its bad because we get a lot of beginners, so it makes it tough to really get anything going. I'm friends with a few former college players and some current junior players that come down from time to time and we give these guys a taste of their own medicine though, so it works out.

Question for you vets out there. Do you get upset at beginners? I'm a little intimidated to play drop in, especially in Vancouver where everyone is seemingly somewhat decent. I'd love to go to stick and puck, but it conflicts with work so my only chances to try and get better are drop in sessions.

I'm not a superstar by any means, but I say just play the drop ins. It is what it is, and folks shouldnt be getting upset at people who want to learn the game, IMO.

Last night I skated a novice pick up again, since it works out with my schedule. The level of play has risen dramatically to the point that its definantly an intermediate level skate or better depending on who is showing up. I kind of feel bad for the beginners, their puck time really suffers, even when people give them space to move, they seem to be thrown off balance just knowing that most everyone on the ice can steal the puck from them at will.

Short story long, if you dont mind the lack of puck time, I wouldnt worry about skating a drop in as a beginner. IMO, as long as you are decent enough skater that you can control your body AND your stick, no one should be bothered...