Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I guess I can skate okay. I've played in net before, but skating is so much easier on goalie skates. Should I be using a cage? I have a visor because I don't like the bars, but I'd hate to be the new guy who wears a visor because it looks cool.

If you read through this thread, you will see the general attitude here towards beginners at open hockey sessions. We all s'tarted without experience and skill.

As to any given session, you should just give it a try at your local rink, and see whether the players are nice guys. Worst case, it doesn't work for you, due to player attitude, or skill differences that just get in the way of it being fun for you.

Question for you vets out there. Do you get upset at beginners? I'm a little intimidated to play drop in, especially in Vancouver where everyone is seemingly somewhat decent. I'd love to go to stick and puck, but it conflicts with work so my only chances to try and get better are drop in sessions.

No, I'm OK with beginners. But others (I think the percentage varies by region) are not, and shun or barely tolerate them.

You shouldn't let this dissuade you from playing, though; one beginner that I know from 15 years ago has become a pretty good player through perseverence and hard work.

I find for the most part beginners are accepted pretty well. Usually the problem arises from a.) Good players who use the beginners as a way of showing off their gongshow moves. and b.) The players who aren't that good who need someone else to blame things on. ("We would have scored if we didnt have him out there with us.")

The only other thing is beginners usually have trouble figuring out how long a shift is. Which is easily remedied.

Question for you vets out there. Do you get upset at beginners? I'm a little intimidated to play drop in, especially in Vancouver where everyone is seemingly somewhat decent. I'd love to go to stick and puck, but it conflicts with work so my only chances to try and get better are drop in sessions.

This has been beat to death in this thread but I can understand you not wanting to sift through 75 pages of junk. So here's my take on it, coming from the perspective of a "better" player.

Beginners are welcome at drop-ins, like everybody is. We get that you haven't been on skates your entire life like some and you need a place to learn. Sometimes a league, even a novice one is not the place to develop. So here's a few tips:

- If everyone on the ice is playing at a much higher level than you, and there are high level players on the bench next up, take a change. This is as much a safety issue for all involved as it is the higher end guys being able to play and you not floundering. They'll appreciate that you recognized that you were in over your head for what was on the ice and, most likely, they will do the same when they end up being on the ice with mostly novice level players and you're the next one up on the bench.

- Everyone knows you're going to turn the puck over, it happens, they'll do it too so don't worry about it.

- Make the pass that you can make. Just because a guy is streaking down the side completely open doesn't mean you need to try and throw an 80 foot sauce to him, make the easy 8 foot pass.

- Control your stick. This goes for everyone, but be aware of where your stick is at. There's rarely ever a need for it to be higher than your waist/shoulders.

- GO TO THE NET WITH YOUR STICK DOWN. If you're open and in a good spot, chances are someone will try and get the puck to you.

- Be social with the guys

- HAVE FUN, noone should ever be pissed playing hockey.

Not at all, with one exception that I've been noticing lately. Most beginners can't skate hard enough to get tired, so we've had newbies take four to five minute shifts. That obviously is too long and also develops bad habits for when they get better, so I'd say you should try to be mindful to keep your shifts reasonable.

I actually like playing WITH beginners because I remember what it was like to be in their shoes a few years ago. The ones that are committed to getting better, even though it's just a recreational thing, are the most fun to chat with on the bench and they are always eager for tips. I also like to tell them where to be on the ice in situations so i can hit them with a pass to get them an open shot. even if they flub it it, they still get chances, and it's those moments of anticipation and excitement that keep you coming back for more, right?

I got bagged on pretty good this past Sunday for bringing 3 sticks. I've been in a pretty bad shooting funk...as in, really bad...so I brought 3 sticks with me to a pick up game to try out different patterns and was hounded mercilessly by some old timers. Not quite sure what the big deal is. It's not like I was asking anyone to look at them, or asked for anyone's approval. It's taboo in the one league I play in to have nice gear. The irony is, the league is comprised primarily of area professionals; doctors, lawyers, investors, etc.

Ran two D pairings at a pick up game on Monday and it was going smooth as far as getting off on time up until the end of the game. With about 15 minutes left before the session ended the D pairing in front of us went about 12 minutes and didn't come off the ice until we started chirping them. Thanks for the 3 minutes at the end. Dicks.

My biggest peeve is people who shoot try to take shots and use the D as a screen in shinny. When I'm out there just to have some fun I don't want to block or be hit with a slap shot or hard wrister. In my opinion its just annoying.

Hates:

1. Goalies who whinge about getting slap shots. Don't play goalie if you are not prepared to get slammed with shots it is what you are in the net for.

2. Newbie players who think they are good and try to skate the puck and get no where. If you actually played the game with the team you would get a lot better a lot faster.

3. Newbies who don't take the advice of better players.

Advice:

1. If you are new, skating is a key element to being a better player. No one cares if you can puck handle like a boss if you can't skate your puck skills are useless. Learn to skate then focus on other things.

2. Listen to your team mates. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION. Ask questions if you are not sure. Any pro would be willing to answer your questions and help you get better in anyway they can.

3. If you are tired get the eff of the ice. Team mates would rather you burst full speed for 2 minutes than skate slow as shit for 4. If you stick to this you will build more stamina. You should be coming on to the bench wrecked after every shift. This also shows your team mates you are genuinely trying your hardest. They will respect you for this and in turn will help you get better and better.

4. No matter how good you eventually get all good hockey players never stop learning.

Please feel free to correct in my advice anyone.

Hates: don't be a hater :)

2. Well if they don't try to skate with the puck, how will they ever learn?

3. Doesn't mean they should always take another player's advice, it's up to them to judge for themselves if it's worthwhile or not.

My biggest peeve is people who shoot try to take shots and use the D as a screen in shinny. When I'm out there just to have some fun I don't want to block or be hit with a slap shot or hard wrister. In my opinion its just annoying.

Yea, totally agree. Two weeks ago, dude tried to pass the puck to the front of the net from behind the goal line, no problem except he took a wrist shot @ my right skate and now I got a black toenail as a result. Whatever happened to a nice sauce? lol This was 4 on 4 with one sub per side.

It's shinny, just get out of the way. Is your coach going to bench you over a missed pick-up D assignment?

That's the thing - some people are skating to "make the team". Too many try-hards or asshats sometimes. Open hockey I skate about 50, maybe 60%, not trying to be a human youtube reel.

I use the the D as a screen all the time, but I take a little wrister, it's a dick move to take a slapshot with someone right in front of you

Hates:

1. Goalies who whinge about getting slap shots. Don't play goalie if you are not prepared to get slammed with shots it is what you are in the net for.

Not all goalies are used to getting hit with slapshots. Maybe they play at a lower level.

2. Newbie players who think they are good and try to skate the puck and get no where. If you actually played the game with the team you would get a lot better a lot faster.

Not sure I agree with this one. As a newbie, skating with the puck certainly doesn't mean I think I'm good. More that for how rarely I get to actually touch the puck during shinny, I'd like to get a chance to skate up with it.

gotta hand it to you players...I went for my first drop in game the other day and it was pretty tough. Maybe I should stick with goaltending..after all, I just have to stay in that little crease the whole time! Hardest part for me was keeping possession of the puck. It seemed like every time I touched the puck, someone was already on me. One of the vets told me to skate it up from my D zone but within seconds, a guy about twice my size was in my face. How do you guys stay so patient/react so quickly. I'm guessing my skating/skills aren't up to par so I panicked and would try to pass it off. One of the guys actually tried to beat me in a footrace so he could get a breakaway and as I was getting to the puck, He sort of nudged me down and pushed me over. It seemed pretty competitive that day. Is drop in always this up tempo?

gotta hand it to you players...I went for my first drop in game the other day and it was pretty tough. Maybe I should stick with goaltending..after all, I just have to stay in that little crease the whole time! Hardest part for me was keeping possession of the puck. It seemed like every time I touched the puck, someone was already on me. One of the vets told me to skate it up from my D zone but within seconds, a guy about twice my size was in my face. How do you guys stay so patient/react so quickly. I'm guessing my skating/skills aren't up to par so I panicked and would try to pass it off. One of the guys actually tried to beat me in a footrace so he could get a breakaway and as I was getting to the puck, He sort of nudged me down and pushed me over. It seemed pretty competitive that day. Is drop in always this up tempo?

It depends on who's there. I've skated drop ins where everyone could have gone without a helmet and been fine and others that have turned into full contact games.

I play in a weekly game and because the father plays, they allowed his 12 year old son to play with us. Understand that this is a private pick up game, typically by invitation only and is geared toward D3 type players and people new to hockey. My pet peeve is letting this kid play. He is twice as fast as everyone else on the ice and twice as good and basically takes advantage of that making it very frustrating for the rest of us. He also like to goal tend and cherry pick, as newbies we have a hard enough time keeping it in the zone let alone having some kid hang out in the neutral just picking up our missed passes and shots so he can keep skating them down on us..

Ok, I am done ranting now. Had to get it out..

I play in a weekly game and because the father plays, they allowed his 12 year old son to play with us. Understand that this is a private pick up game, typically by invitation only and is geared toward D3 type players and people new to hockey. My pet peeve is letting this kid play. He is twice as fast as everyone else on the ice and twice as good and basically takes advantage of that making it very frustrating for the rest of us. He also like to goal tend and cherry pick, as newbies we have a hard enough time keeping it in the zone let alone having some kid hang out in the neutral just picking up our missed passes and shots so he can keep skating them down on us..

Ok, I am done ranting now. Had to get it out..

Put him through the boards..

Or watch him and learn and try to figure out the best way to stop him. If that proves entirely fruitless I'd try politely explaining what he is doing to bother you. Or you could put a twelve year old through the boards.

Actually, one of my pet peeves is when higher skilled players come to drop in, and just keep passing to each other and leave everyone else out. Understand that you guys play on the same team and have been for the past ??? years, but give everyone else a chance to play.

There's a kid that plays as well, and all he wants to do is to play with the higher skilled players.

Skilled players who will only pass to certain people. I play inline with a mediocre crowd. There are a few very skilled standouts, who are terrific at involving everyone, and by doing so teach everyone raise their game. Enter one knob with good skills, a ridiculously good toe drag, and a refusal to pass to anyone except the other skilled standouts. After the fourth or fifth odd man rush where he looked to see who was with him, and promptly just toe-dragged himself into a swarm of opposing players, I got pissed. On the bench, we had a quick chat, and the next time he rotated on, the other four of us and the goalie just stood at the side of the net with our backs to him. Other team erupts into howls of laughter and shouts of "You puck hogging douce bag!" (They've all sufferered through this too at times). A little pissed, he actually started passing after the game got going again.