Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I guess I don't get it. If "the rest of us" are that frustrated, don't let the kid play.

I wish it were that easy. I think the coordinator got himself in a bind when he agreed to let the kid play. He also probably felt pressure because the kids father both plays in this game every week and actually works for the rink we play at..

Putting him into the boards might not work, I think he is like 80lb soaking wet and most of the guys (as most of you know) are middle age, out of shape 220lb guys...That kid wouldnt stand a chance!

Im sure theres a few dozen people who mentioned this but I really dislike when at pick up or open hockey when a whole high school/college club team shows up and its them versus everyone else. If your gona have your whole team "practice" at open hockey then why not rent the ice instead of taking over open stick/public hockey forcing everyone else to play against you and your teammates? Its annoying enough but when they act like they just won the cup when they score a dozen goals against a random group of guys who mostly are just trying to get some ice time in before work it really pisses me off

My biggest pet peeve lately is kids at drop in taking it WAY to serious. I had kids literally diving at me, and knocking my stick out of my hands. if you want to play that serious go join a league. i liked my laid back skate i had. now its flooded with wannabe's who think its the gateway to the show.

1. People who complain about stuff. Just play and go home.

2. People who are too cool too try. Can you at least reach for the pass I tried to get to you...

3. People who wear strange colors to a black vs white game... Light purple? Really?

My biggest pet peeve lately is kids at drop in taking it WAY to serious. I had kids literally diving at me, and knocking my stick out of my hands. if you want to play that serious go join a league. i liked my laid back skate i had. now its flooded with wannabe's who think its the gateway to the show.

But what is the line between playing competitively (in a recreational sense) and being 'laid back'? Although I wouldn't dive at you or whatever, I wouldn't hesitate to tap/lift your stick out of the way in front of the net.

But what is the line between playing competitively (in a recreational sense) and being 'laid back'? Although I wouldn't dive at you or whatever, I wouldn't hesitate to tap/lift your stick out of the way in front of the net.

see lifting the stick is all fine and dandy, trying to break it in half is another story. i dont mind a little competitive play, getting bumped in a corner isnt a big issue. its that dude who tries to lay everyone out we've had lately. we have some older guys at our skates, and hes head hunting.

see lifting the stick is all fine and dandy, trying to break it in half is another story. i dont mind a little competitive play, getting bumped in a corner isnt a big issue. its that dude who tries to lay everyone out we've had lately. we have some older guys at our skates, and hes head hunting.

Ok, if you have a guy headhunting people at pick up, someone needs to catch him blindside with his head down or force him to drop the gloves. Being polite and "an adult" is no longer an effective tactic at that point.

And for any new people that don't feel like reading the first 77 pages of this thread the basic argument boils down to this:

Beginners get frustrated with good players that show up and don't include them in their reindeer games.

Good players get frustrated with beginners because they don't have the requisite skill set to be useful.

And everybody hates the goons, hackers, whackers, guys that take it too seriously.

You are now caught up to speed.

haven't posted in a very long time, but just got back into the game after two years off

last night was my second game back and these kids pretty much hit every pet peeve that has been talked about here before

1) settling an old score from a in house summer league

2) dropping the gloves after he couldn't take the abuse he started

3) fighting with a bird cage on and not making it interesting - if you feel the need to drop the gloves during a pick up game which there is almost never a reason to do so. At lest make it interesting to watch and when you are done get off the ice stop yelling at everyone telling them to f themselves.

4) my roommates cat throwing up under my computer chair as I am typing this :angry:

I've been lucky in pick up. I started playing hockey in April & started participating in pick up games at the end of May. The guy that runs it sends out invites for either beginner or regular hockey earlier in the week & the first 24 people to respond get in, which is nice, keeps the number down. Only 1 or 2 times has there been people that have not signed up shown up, making the benches a little crowded. And most people stay true to their level & play the side they should. Occasionally, if regular filled up, we'd get some better players that would come down to the beginner ice to play. You could tell who they were, but they didn't show boat the entire time & would give advice/help you out: they understood they were playing with beginners!

On one occassion some dude, halfway through pickup, decided he was going to come over to the beginner side, I guess to show us how good he was (aka-show off in front of his girl.) It was funny watching him & his girl in the lobby afterwards...she was all over him, you'd have thought he'd just won a championship game with a last second shot. He sure showed us! :huh:

Anyway, I guess my pet peeves are:

A. as mentioned multiple times - the long shifters. Like dude, if you can't yell your position when you are coming to the bench because you are out of breath, you were out there too long!

B. the people who always complain about what position they play. If a person comes off & yells D, they complain everytime that they HATE playing D (as if they were so superior at offense), or, if there was a short bench, say they weren't ready to come back out on the ice if you were a defensive player & they'd wait for an offensive player. (I solved this by dressing opposite the complainer so I wouldn't have to hear them.) There's also the girl who plays damsel in distress, "I'm not good @ such & such position!" I'm not good at center (being a new player, I am not great at any position!) but I play it & play it the best I can & learn from each experience.

A lot of people mentioned crazy celebrations after scoring during pick up - here's a story. During a game, some dude, after the other team scored, made the comment, "anyone but that guy." I asked why we didn't like said guy :tongue: & was told that this guy thinks that pickups are NHL tryouts. After the game ended, the goalies had left, there were a couple of us that stuck around to keep playing - Mr. Zamboni gave us half an hour more to play!!! This guy scored on an empty net & went ballistic! I was like, seriously? I have yet to score (intentionally) in a game & even when I made an empty net goal, I did not celebrate. I had to laugh.

Like I said before, I've been lucky with pickup & my pet peeves are really minor!

A Pet Peeve of mine is the guy who stick handles constantly with his head down and doesn't pass. Dude your not that good, if this was real hockey you'd be on your a**.

Does it bother anyone else that when youre at pick up and you take a hard shot from mid slot range and the goalie complains that its only pick up and he doesnt want to get injured and be out of league play? We had a few guys at our regualr drop ( this particualt goalies bff) in session that would get in your face if you put any ass into your shots on goal..for fear the goalie would get hurt.

Actually, one of my pet peeves is when higher skilled players come to drop in, and just keep passing to each other and leave everyone else out. Understand that you guys play on the same team and have been for the past ??? years, but give everyone else a chance to play.

There's a kid that plays as well, and all he wants to do is to play with the higher skilled players.

Have to agree with this one.

I come from a small town, so all the drop in's I had been to before were basically just the high school hockey team and a few younger guys from the Junior high team who were old enough (14-18 age limited).

Anyways, so came to University and every Tuesday and Thursday from 12-1:30 they had sticks and pucks? guess thats what they call it, no other gear besides skates, helmets, gloves and sticks. There were three guys from a midget major team not that far from my home town. Got stuck on their line as it was 4-on-4 and they just would not pass to me at'll. The funny part was the fact that only 3 years prior I actually was on a Summer team that two of the guys failed to make, but anyways.

Now play Friday nights with my girlfriend's father and a group that has been together for 4 years now. It took me a few times going to figure out the pace and who you could joke around with or what not, but overall a good group of guys who all share the puck equally and play pretty clean.....well 98% of the time.

Played in a pretty crowded pick up game last night. Clock on the wall plainly read 10:22 pm when I came off the ice. I was talking to the guy next to me on the bench when I realized that I hadn't moved up the bench at all in a long while. Looked up at the clock... 10:29. Hmmm... went back to talking to the guy next to me. I finally slid up the bench from the last slot at 10:35. Yes, some of the those guys were on the ice before I was... minimum 13 minute shift from some of them. I also have no doubt that two of the kids (Obviously buddies that play high school together) were on the ice for a full twenty minutes before they came back to the bench.

+1 Joey! I played with ya last night and the guys on the bench I was next to were joking if we'd get another shift before the game was over at 11...the clock was showing 1037!

I understand we all want ice time but if every one takes the same shorter shifts we get better play plus same amount of ice time!

What bugs me alot is the bad habits Im going to pick up playing when theres no positioning, its like a bunch of mini-mites all chasing after the puck!

+1 Joey! I played with ya last night and the guys on the bench I was next to were joking if we'd get another shift before the game was over at 11...the clock was showing 1037!

I understand we all want ice time but if every one takes the same shorter shifts we get better play plus same amount of ice time!

What bugs me alot is the bad habits Im going to pick up playing when theres no positioning, its like a bunch of mini-mites all chasing after the puck!

We have a pick up every Wed at 12 noon. And this is how it always goes. Its a shit show most of the time.

Had the problem the other night of bringing in a spare goalie as one of our normal guys was at a Christmas party. Anyways, we usually play to five, then switch goalies, continuing doing that during the time slot. Anyways this guy played awesome the first game, I mean looked like a former junior goalie or something. Then second game on, he just went to sleep. I ended up scoring from center the third game. He had stopped basically dropping down at this point, so I just shot it low bottom, about a foot off the ground from center and it went in. I just wanted a change, but knew from the way he was playing that if I put it on net it had a chance.

Point being, the guy got to play for an hour and half for free, but only really tried for about 20 min. Just not right. Needless to say few of the guys went to the guy who runs our Friday nights and asked him to make him an absolute last resort.

Got one I'd never seen before from Thursday night.

Usual pick up game, more guys than usual show up. Half the guys can really play, the other half not so much. Both goalie's are getting torched. At one point our goalie threatened to go home if we didn't start playing better D in front of him.

Really? You're just gonna take your toys and go home because you can't stop anything that isn't shot right at you?

Got one I'd never seen before from Thursday night.

Usual pick up game, more guys than usual show up. Half the guys can really play, the other half not so much. Both goalie's are getting torched. At one point our goalie threatened to go home if we didn't start playing better D in front of him.

Really? You're just gonna take your toys and go home because you can't stop anything that isn't shot right at you?

Happens a lot in NY where I play. Goalie gets lit up like a Christmas tree, gets pissed, and just picks up and leaves ruining the skate. Sometimes though I don't blame the guy cause at one point in a pick up, the other team kept treating the goalie like **** by taking slap shots in the slot (full power), stopping in front and just playing with the goalie while the other team was full of beginner skaters and could barely possess the puck.

Had the problem the other night of bringing in a spare goalie as one of our normal guys was at a Christmas party. Anyways, we usually play to five, then switch goalies, continuing doing that during the time slot. Anyways this guy played awesome the first game, I mean looked like a former junior goalie or something. Then second game on, he just went to sleep. I ended up scoring from center the third game. He had stopped basically dropping down at this point, so I just shot it low bottom, about a foot off the ground from center and it went in. I just wanted a change, but knew from the way he was playing that if I put it on net it had a chance.

Point being, the guy got to play for an hour and half for free, but only really tried for about 20 min. Just not right. Needless to say few of the guys went to the guy who runs our Friday nights and asked him to make him an absolute last resort.

Just curious to see if anyone checked to see if the goalie perhaps pulled a muscled or injured himself during the game? Very well could be laziness but if he went from great to bad suddenly could be injury.

Just curious to see if anyone checked to see if the goalie perhaps pulled a muscled or injured himself during the game? Very well could be laziness but if he went from great to bad suddenly could be injury.

We asked him if he was feeling alright, felt better than ever he told us. It was laziness, either that or didn't want to be there, either way doesn't make it enjoyable.

Actually saw that in a men's league game a few weeks back. We had previously beaten the team 12-2 the first game of the season so they brought in a different goalie to hopefully stem the tide a bit... It did not work. When we got up by 4 we started just moving the puck around trying to set up players on the team that usually never sniff the net, actually got a few first-goals for guys that game. At one point their goalie just completely stopped playing. After the game he grabbed me and another guy on our team and started whining about how our team didn't belong in the league. Mind you, this team won 1 game, and was beaten by an average of 5 goals each game. I wish this rink had a beginner draft league, but such is the evils of playing in a D-League where the jump between D and C leagues, in terms of talent, is HUGE.

I'm new to the forum and I play drop in almost every week so I figured this would be the appropriate place for my first post.

Anyways, a pet peeve of mine is when the rink hosting drop in fails to abide by their cutoff point of players. I went to a skate earlier this week that literally had about 30-35 players. I play roller and being that it is 4 on 4 on the rink, the ideal number at a drop in skate is 16 skaters and 2 goalies...

Does it bother anyone else that when youre at pick up and you take a hard shot from mid slot range and the goalie complains that its only pick up and he doesnt want to get injured and be out of league play? We had a few guys at our regualr drop ( this particualt goalies bff) in session that would get in your face if you put any ass into your shots on goal..for fear the goalie would get hurt.

Wind up and take a hard shot or does the dude just have a heavy shot? Personally, I hate the guys who wind up for a full out slapper right in the slot especially if someones standing less than a stick length away. Chalk it up to inexperience I guess...