Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I played my first drop in last week after 8 years of no hockey...

Whilst i totally agree with Nobody hogging the ice time and hate the people who coast... At these Drop ins, some genius has decided to blow a whistle were everyone changes, Every 2 minutes.. while good in practice, im finding it doesnt work, mainly because anyone who has played any organised hockey knows you go hard, then come off.. so i did this for my first few shifts, trying to come off after maybe a minute but noone would come on...

So instead of making everyone have 2 minutes or less if tired. people wont come on for you, thinking if they come on, when the whistle goes they have to come off again...

Last nights drop in - Not complete lines on the bench... so no one did the whistle thing.. Flowed alot better, even the new to hockey guys (havnt played any organised hockey) even agreed with me, sure there was probably one or 2 guys on each team that would hog the ice time, but there was enough to go around and you didnt have the stop start with the whistles.. 10mins before end, the benches started clearing up until for the last 2-3 minutes no one on the benches..

Hopefully this system stays.

My pet peeve kind of relates to this. The overly physical guy who will hurt you to win the puck in rat. I think it is for sure the guys who don't play in any other league so this rat is their Stanley Cup. If someone is willing to do anything to get the puck in rat they can have it as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes I'll toss in a little chirp like, "What are they giving away if you win this thing today?"

There is a guy like this at one of the pickups I go too. If I remember right, he said he used to play league but it got to be too much/chippy for him. Considering how he plays in pickup, I am not surprised he gets a little back.

I will also add the guy thats really good and much better than some people just trying to go through everyone time and time again. I get it, you are really good and may not get to do that during your normal season or whatever. I can understand wanting to do it a few times. But trying to go end to end 10+ times is a little overkill.

I have to say my biggest complaint about pick up hockey is when there ISNT ANY!!!

Our rinks been shut down since the end of April for compressor repairs and maintenance and I'm getting friggin' antsy !!

HeyZeus Cristopher, I'm gonna have to start jogging just to get some exersize...thats how desparate I'm getting :rolleyes: (I hate to jog)

i hate when the ice is used for figure skating instead of hockey. some figure skating sessions at my local rink only have 2 or 3 skaters hockey would fill that time so much better

My pet peeve is no goalie's and those that turn up throw their toys so quickly its not funny, and just stand there.

Then everyone just wants to slap it from halfway if the net is empty or if the goalie is just staning around.

Due to working away from any rinks i take any chance to get out and play, ice and inline.

To fix the issue i have been picked up my own gear to fill at least one net, and try to make an effort.

My pet peeve is no goalie's and those that turn up throw their toys so quickly its not funny, and just stand there.

Then everyone just wants to slap it from halfway if the net is empty or if the goalie is just staning around.

Due to working away from any rinks i take any chance to get out and play, ice and inline.

To fix the issue i have been picked up my own gear to fill at least one net, and try to make an effort.

My peeve is when people treat the goalies that do show up like crap. The last time I saw a goalie at public hockey, these two asshats kept telling him to switch ends whenever they got on the ice instead of the normal 4 or 5 goals. It was really friggin annoying and I wish the kid would have told them to go screw.

There is one notorious rent-a-goalie in Toronto who does exactly that: just stands there, occasionally diving forward to trip people and throwing sweep-checks around the posts. Of course, he could be saving his energy for demanding his money after the game, which he always does without fail. He also bills himself as an A/B-level goalie, so some rather good teams end up getting stuck with this buffoon.

In the past, prior to some of our pick up sessions, the Men's Canadian sled hockey team would practice. Those guys are amazing and I love watching them in person, but man, do they ever chew up the ice. The ice already takes a beating from pick up, but it's even worse following the sled hockey guys. I think taking a little extra time to flood a second time and flooding again after 1-hour of pick up would help, but the rink does neither.

I thought nothing could be worse than playing after figure skating on the soft-ass ice at CIA, but I think the sledge team would carve it up even worse: every one of those butt-ends is like four toe-picks in one, and they'd be hitting the ice a lot more frequently.

Out of curiosity, where's the team practising these days?

At home, the rink always does Public Skate before open hockey. The rink is PACKED to full capacity and after the abysmal resurfacing they do while running the refrigerating system just enough to keep the ice frozen, you play in water for the first 30 minutes then you play on slush the rest of the game.

My rink is pretty hit or miss with the resurfacing. Depending on the day there's either parent and child hockey or weekday public skate before public hockey. Either they don't resurface at all or they do resurface and put down wayyyy too much water. The ice is also really soft in the summer, to the point where I can lose an edge on an aggressive crossover without catching plastic, just because there's nothing to bite into. It's only 6 bucks for 2 hours, though.

I thought nothing could be worse than playing after figure skating on the soft-ass ice at CIA, but I think the sledge team would carve it up even worse: every one of those butt-ends is like four toe-picks in one, and they'd be hitting the ice a lot more frequently.

Out of curiosity, where's the team practising these days?

Not sure where they practice these days. They probably rotate I imagine, based on their travel schedule. They practised occasionally in Milton, which is where i'm referring to. I arrived for pick up one day and I'm guessing they were on their way to a tournament, as TSN were there interviewing the players.

There is one notorious rent-a-goalie in Toronto who does exactly that: just stands there, occasionally diving forward to trip people and throwing sweep-checks around the posts.

Really? So Bill Swenson makes it up to Toronto, also??

At women's drop-ins there's really no problems at all. People bump each other and say sorry. Advanced players pass all the time and play to the level of the group, though they may turn it up every now and again. My pet peeve would be no goalies.

I've only played a coed drop-in a couple times with a friend. There was the guy that never passed and ragged the puck all over, and the goalie that barely tried (or just was bad, prob a combo of both) and blamed the "uneven rosters".

I'm wondering if a coast-to-coast show-off puck-hog ever had everyone else stop moving, and just stand there, when he got the puck and took off.

absolutely hate when guys complain about a guy who cant skate very well out there. Everyone pays the same 6 bucks buddy, and theres only one way to get better.

absolutely hate when guys complain about a guy who cant skate very well out there. Everyone pays the same 6 bucks buddy, and theres only one way to get better.

Agree. What should I do? Just not bother trying to get better and stay home? GFY!

I like that the local rink has specific lower level pickup times though. If you're a better player and you show up to one, you're pretty much expected to be passing it off to the newbs so they can learn and get better, otherwise you get asked to leave.

I hate the guys that are super good but just jerks about it. They're out there quadruple shifting it and not passing. It's fine if you're better than everyone else but be nice about it. <br /><br />Oh and I hate the guys that take drop-in way too serious. People who get mad over mistakes and what not.

I'm wondering if a coast-to-coast show-off puck-hog ever had everyone else stop moving, and just stand there, when he got the puck and took off.

There used to be a guy at a skate I went to who would cherry pick all night. If he came back across the red line it was like seeing Bigfoot. Eventually when he started getting the puck people would just start skating away. One night, he got the puck at the blue line on a cherry picking breakaway, and the goalie just skated into the corner and did a loop. When he came back to the bench asking why he did that, and everyone just ignored him, he eventually got the point.

yeah. I am at the point in my life where hockey is all about fun for me. I have guys on my teams that arent very good, and i dont even really care, i just want to see effort. Win or lose i still have to get up and go to work in the morning, and at 31 my chances of winning a stanley cup are quickly diminishing =)

all that said, i do get a little frustrated with myself at times :)

People who don't bring their own water. You are playing hockey for 1 to 1.5 hours so you will need some sort of drink

This results in everyone throwing your bottle around where you are not there.

People who don't bring their own water. You are playing hockey for 1 to 1.5 hours so you will need some sort of drink

This results in everyone throwing your bottle around where you are not there.

Big piece of tape with FLU DON'T DRINK written should help :)

I've started playing 30+ Drop-In at our local rink recently. Even though it's 30+ they let some younger guys in, but no one really cares because they're pretty good guys; talented, but not douchebags and are good sports/team players. There are a couple of guys that have to be 65+ and they're a lot of fun. I'm not the greatest at all, but everyone seems to be out there to have fun; no one really gets bent out of shape. Some of the guys are incredible players, but they only "do their thing" once in a while and tend to pass it off quite a bit. Sounds like I'm a bit lucky to be playing where I'm at!