Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Blueice

Hockey Skate profiling (contouring)

Nobody can't say what profile is the best.

9'? 11'? 13'? 8'+12' combination? Flat center? There is no "best". Just there are better profiles for someone.

Just try. It's the best way to make sure what is the better profile for you.

If you couldn't feel any differences? It means you can skate with any profiles! It is so good talent. You don't need to worried about it.

I'll second this! My skate guy says the same thing... each player will be different and will want different things from their skates [ie speed, stride length, agility etc...] I hadn't contoured my skates in the past a recently did. I can confirm is that the "out of the box" blade is nowhere near where I would like it. It made a huge difference for me and I love it! I wear an 8.5 Bauer and I have a 10 radius with a 7/16 hallow.

The next thing I’ll try is flat bottom sharpening.. but we’ll leave that for another thread ;)

• Like 1

So a while back I picked up a set of LS3 steel cheap that had been profiled but not used. The profile listed is "P-9116, H-10" . Does anyone recognize that type of designation- curios as to what company uses this format and what the profile actually is. Thanks.

I'm curious now about profiling. Going from the x90s which had a stock 9' radius to the x900 which has the ls3 and a 10' radius.

Taller steel and a larger radius. I'm wondering how much Olof a difference I'll notice if any.

My initial thought is that with a taller steel the larger radius won't be as notice than if it was the lower ls2 steel height. But I could be wrong. I just don't know a lot about radius.

I figure I'll try the 10' and see if it works and if not I can get it changed to a 9'

Thoughts?

Agree with Mimizk try them all is the only way, I have tried 9'10'11' and 13' with 1/2" 5/8" 3/4" for now I am on 13' with 3/4 and even with the 13 my quick turns are still good and this is the best for me. 6'2" 180 without gear, I really like what I'm on now but would be nice to try 14' or 15' if available someday.

Weird question but are there contour "specs" for CCM stock runners? I want to get my LS3 steel contoured to how the CCMs are but I don't know what to tell my LHS and they don't have a stock CCM runner to trace to do it.

8 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

Weird question but are there contour "specs" for CCM stock runners? I want to get my LS3 steel contoured to how the CCMs are but I don't know what to tell my LHS and they don't have a stock CCM runner to trace to do it.

Can you find one on Ebay?

23 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

CCM runners have a 10' stock radius, no pitch.  You LHS can't trace a different runner and profile off that

In generally, 99.9% local shops don't have "copy machine" which can copy A's profile and output it to B runner.
So probably the most closest thing with your wish is that to find a CCM runner of your size from anywhere and trace it onto radius contoured LS3 steel with a pen or spray, then contour again by free hand according to the traced line.

I was on a stock radius of 10` with a 95/75 FBV on my Nexus2900 6.5D.I´m 95kg 170 cm, 51 jears old, beginner level. I was searching for a little more stability and glide. Wanting a 11` radius`, my lhs convinced me to try 13` with 90/50 FBV and neutral pitch. Way more glide and stability and enough bite, feeling OK for me. My agility decreased a little but is tolerable. But how could i determine if the radius is right, or too long for me without going to 11` and then maybe back to 13`?

1 hour ago, hockeydad3 said:

I was on a stock radius of 10` with a 95/75 FBV on my Nexus2900 6.5D.I´m 95kg 170 cm, 51 jears old, beginner level. I was searching for a little more stability and glide. Wanting a 11` radius`, my lhs convinced me to try 13` with 90/50 FBV and neutral pitch. Way more glide and stability and enough bite, feeling OK for me. My agility decreased a little but is tolerable. But how could i determine if the radius is right, or too long for me without going to 11` and then maybe back to 13`?

There is no way to determine if thats the best fit for you other than to change and test. 13' is nice but its quite long and requires strong legs and is really designed for big ice, like Olympic size. I would absolutely suggest trying the 12' and 11' 

On 10/3/2016 at 10:26 PM, Mimizk said:

In generally, 99.9% local shops don't have "copy machine" which can copy A's profile and output it to B runner.
So probably the most closest thing with your wish is that to find a CCM runner of your size from anywhere and trace it onto radius contoured LS3 steel with a pen or spray, then contour again by free hand according to the traced line.

True, thankfully my shop does 🙂 

4 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

what you can do is participate in the MSH Pro Sharp project!  Lots of info and opportunity!

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/forum/191-the-prosharp-project/

9 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

There is no way to determine if thats the best fit for you other than to change and test. 13' is nice but its quite long and requires strong legs and is really designed for big ice, like Olympic size. I would absolutely suggest trying the 12' and 11' 

In Germany we are on olympic size. After three sessions on ice i do love the glide which gives me less fatigue caused by poor fitness. My lhs has only the blackstone single radius profiles, no 12`available. And this lhs, 40 km away is the only one i know doing profiling and different ROH´s at all. Almost all of the other sharpeners will give you a house cut at about 1/2". First i had a 98/50 FBV on the 13`, it was like on rails, no way to stop and catching edges all the time. I hope the 90/50 FBV will give me back enough mobility because it´s quite flat.

7 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

what you can do is participate in the MSH Pro Sharp project!  Lots of info and opportunity!

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/forum/191-the-prosharp-project/

Tank you for the tip, but shipping my blades overseas is too complex for me.