Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I just ordered a set of Step runners for my Graf 705's. First time with Step runners and I wondering if I can just stick with the stock 10' neutral profile or do they always need to be reworked before using? My current runners were a 13' neutral done almost 15 years ago. I am tempted by all the new profile options to use something other than stock 10', but at the end of the day, its more money and I'm not sure I would really benefit.

• Like 1

I just ordered a set of Step runners for my Graf 705's. First time with Step runners and I wondering if I can just stick with the stock 10' neutral profile or do they always need to be reworked before using? My current runners were a 13' neutral done almost 15 years ago. I am tempted by all the new profile options to use something other than stock 10', but at the end of the day, its more money and I'm not sure I would really benefit.

I just put new STEP xl runners on a pair of Vapors. I left the stock profile and did not shave the heel or toe. Have skated on them about 5 times and found them easy to adjust to. One strange thing is that the 3rd game I wore them, I took out the Superfeet and used the stock insole. I caught my heel 3 times when pivoting and went down, (I am an excellent skater, so my mates had a good laugh at my expense). Put the Superfeet back in and problem gone. I could seamlessly switch the insoles back and forth with the old LS2 runners. I plan to sell the runners since I've got new skates with Edge holders, but if I were planning to keep the STEP, I would shave the heel down a bit, (not a lot). I will say that the quality of steel is phenomenal and I could actually feel the difference.

• Like 1

I have both STEP and LS3 runners on my x7.0's. Both profiled to 8'/14' and medium forward by No Icing.

The LS3 have a more pronounced heel and much more pronounced toe.

I really don't notice much of a difference.

• Like 1

was wondering if anyone could help me, I am looking to remove my step steel from my CCM Speedblade 4.0 holder. I cannot for the life of me get the steel to come out. The original runners popped right out when I unscrewed the bolts and gave it a pull, but the Step fits so much more snug, it isn't moving at all :/ 

2 hours ago, ironslave said:

was wondering if anyone could help me, I am looking to remove my step steel from my CCM Speedblade 4.0 holder. I cannot for the life of me get the steel to come out. The original runners popped right out when I unscrewed the bolts and gave it a pull, but the Step fits so much more snug, it isn't moving at all :/ 

Clamp the steel into a vice and then pull.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ironslave said:

Remove the bolts and rinse the bottom of the holder in hot water (heatgun works aswell, but be careful to not melt the plastic) , then -gloves on and pull/wiggle the runner out

• Like 2

On November 25, 2015 at 3:30 PM, isk8byu said:

I'm running Step runners straight out of the box on my Graf 703s and there was no adjustment or issues. ran them with superfeet and now SpeedPlates. then again, I never had the stock steel profiled either 

On 5/20/2017 at 3:00 AM, mickz said:

(please make sure there is wood or some other sacrificial material on either side of the blade when doing it)

Definitely a better solution

On 5/20/2017 at 3:01 AM, swede said:

Remove the bolts and rinse the bottom of the holder in hot water (heatgun works aswell, but be careful to not melt the plastic) , then -gloves on and pull/wiggle the runner out

• Like 1

On 5/20/2017 at 3:00 AM, mickz said:

No need to pull.  

Clamp it (wrap a towel around the steel) then slap the back of the skate forward.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

They're both 10' but Stem is a bit more game-ready in relation to the heels and toes.

If you skated all this time on LS3 unprofiled, Step would be an upgrade.

I thought that you should have LS3 profiled before use. Just what I had always heard because of the toe shape.

Maybe LS4 is closer to Step out of the box?

Edited by 218hockey

8 hours ago, brandonthequick said:

Does anyone skate with them unprofiled or does everyone get them profiled for the most part P

There are a lot of sharpeners who will tell you that stock factory steel isn't well known for its accuracy so a profile brings it to true.

22 hours ago, 218hockey said:

I thought that you should have LS3 profiled before use. Just what I had always heard because of the toe shape.

Maybe LS4 is closer to Step out of the box?

The point I was trying to make was exactly that.  If he was able to skate on LS3 unprofiled this entire time, Step should feel better because it's shaped better.

On 6/29/2018 at 11:47 PM, brandonthequick said:

I'm going from ls3 to black step steel is the profile similar? Does anyone use step steel without profiling? 

Yes. I have Step and I did not profile them. They are, like JR said, a bit more game ready.

The LS3 I used in the past had to be profiled. I just could not make them work without it. Way too much material at the toe. LS4 is workable but not optimal.