Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Step just needs to come up with a completely absurd name for their steel... 'Thermablades' being taken, why not 'Wonkablades'?

come on, it's better than hotblades or whatever the steel on the NME was called

how did you end up liking the velocity steel?

I actually like them a lot.

I broke one though, but it happens, just som,e bad luck.

They sent me another set very quickly.

I am now trying out some X Blades on my U+, only skated 1 hour in them so far so its hard to compare.

Man I really want a set, so do I have to call to order or is there a place that i can order from?

EWH carries them.

Called them a few weeks back..."We don't stock them because nobody asks for them".

Great blades, i had original blades on my one95s and i put on velocity blades about a month ago and have no complaints. Hold their edges better, i get them sharpened less often, look unbelievable. A+ all around.

We get our Step from Midwest who is a wholesaler, I'm not sure if they sell retail but you can try. I've found that they don't keep a lot of Velocity in stock as every time I try to refill my stock, they have to order them from Canada. I try to keep graf and LS2 in stock, but it's getting more difficult. I'm sure it has to do with demand, not much because of the price.

Yeah, it seems to be catching on around here: people are realising that 10% more of a superior steel is worth the premium. Still not much Velocity at retail, but again, I get the sense that's because team orders are eating a lot of it up.

The only one I still can't figure is STEP's RBK goalie blades, which seem to be made of solid platinum, given the price.

Eh, not quite. It's a different alloy, and the degree of polishing is probably impossible to achieve without serious metallurgical equipment.

bob do you have any 254mm 2.1 ls velocity in stock, and if not do you have 263 mm lightspeed velocity steel.

I'm not at the store today but I'm sure I have 263, will have to check tomorrow on the 254.

As for the goalie steel, I had ordered a bunch and had not looked at the price. I promptly returned them after seeing what they cost. IMO, the RBK steel is superior and no reason to go with STEP, unless you need the extra height.

Yeah, I spoke with Bob at Noicingsports and he basically said the same. He did say it was a better steel but only in terms of holding an edge longer and the chrome look. That's it though. Thanks for the response.

For those of you who have had both regular Step and Velocity, is there any difference in performance between Step and Velocity Step? Thanks

I have been using Step Velocity since July, and I have never tried the regular Step, but take my word for it, the velocity version is something special.

Question for Velocity steel owners, How do you keep the mirror finish? I have to stone my blades to deburr edges and the finish is completely gone. I am getting new skates soon so new and different size velocity steel will go on them. Any tips for keeping them looking shiny? thanks

Question for Velocity steel owners, How do you keep the mirror finish? I have to stone my blades to deburr edges and the finish is completely gone. I am getting new skates soon so new and different size velocity steel will go on them. Any tips for keeping them looking shiny? thanks

JR said that if you sue a good 220 grit stone like the miracle stone it will not scratch the finish.

You'll have to take them off and use a metal polish on them and a buffing wheel, carpolish won't be strong enough

The profile of Step steel does not drop off at heel center like LS1. Those of you that have skated in Step did you notice the diff and how is the overall profile of stock Step blades compared to LS1?

Thanks

Ok, regarding the stock profile of the Step Steel: I assume you guys are having your skates profiled after getting the new steel. Does the step stock profile stay intact -or- how are you keeping the heel center extra as I would imagine the shop would just re-profile the step from original and take away the extra - or am I reading what you saying wrong?

In other words, don't most shops put a template on the blade - "Oh, I have to grind off the extra..." and shape the blade to the template - thereby losing the heel center steel anyway?

JR said that if you sue a good 220 grit stone like the miracle stone it will not scratch the finish.

You'll have to take them off and use a metal polish on them and a buffing wheel, carpolish won't be strong enough

Miracle Stone is a whetstone, not a 220 grit stone.

He's a sharpener, therefore needs the grit stone. MS should be used as a finishing stone.

Next time, quote me correctly and don't put words into my mouth, mmmkay?

In other words, don't most shops put a template on the blade - "Oh, I have to grind off the extra..." and shape the blade to the template - thereby losing the heel center steel anyway?

I have no idea what a "heel center" is but I am assuming you guys are talking about where the working and heel radii meet.

When you profile skates you are shaping the working radius, the heel and toe radii are blended in by hand.