Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Leather block?

Well, I have a set coming in for someone next week. I have all 4 options discussed at my disposal - 220 grit stone, Miraclestone, diamond stone and leather block. Also, I have Easton's NanoGlide film. Maybe I'll shoot a video.

no just a 2x4 I cut a piece off of. Used it a lot on the high end figure skates before then I figured with the chrome finish on the step I would us it on that. Has worked great

Tried all of the methods before I sharpened and then after I sharpened.

I tested the methods on the hook fin, then I sharpened and deburred.

The only one not to scratch at all was the NanoGlide tool, but it did not remove the burrs as well as the Miraclestone or diamond stone did, even though both of them do indeed scratch the blade.

The 220 grit stone doesn't leave a detailed edge like the Miraclestone or diamond stone does.

Regardless, you must use the tip of any of the stones. Using an oil-based stainless steel cleaner helps to move the stones; plus it shines the blade when you are done.

Seems like an awful lot of extra work...with little to no added benefit, other than the bling factor.

Skated on the Step steel yesterday, and yes they are a bit higher. Had to work a little harder due to the extra weight vs the Fusion steel. I could definitely feel the difference in weight...not significant...but noticeable. The advantage was that the edges were near perfect after a 2 hour intense pickup. Nicks and chips plagued my fusion steel and LS2 steel, thus the decision to switch to a better quality steel to reduce the frequency of sharpening. Over the last couple months I was averaging only 5-6 sessions, with edges so jacked up I had to ship them for another 90/50 treatment.

has anyone have any experience with step steel on razorblade II holder?

Yes, it's the same steel for the Eastons, same quality. I do a lot of them for my overseas customers because I'm not allowed to ship Easton steel outside the U.S. So STEP is my only option. It does not however fit in the new EQ line of skates, only the Elites fit in those. Looks like they changed the Razor holder.

Yes, it's the same steel for the Eastons, same quality. I do a lot of them for my overseas customers because I'm not allowed to ship Easton steel outside the U.S. So STEP is my only option. It does not however fit in the new EQ line of skates, only the Elites fit in those. Looks like they changed the Razor holder.

RazorBladz II holder has not changed. I can fit NanoGlide (had to tap it in), standard non-Parabolic steel and Elite in my EQ50s.

good to know i love the step steel xl on my one95s so i will either install ls2 holders (still researching if it's a good idea due to carbon boot) or get step steel on razor blades once i figure out how i like the factory pitch and setup on the s17s.

RazorBladz II holder has not changed. I can fit NanoGlide (had to tap it in), standard non-Parabolic steel and Elite in my EQ50s.

Perhaps you have an older holder. Behind the rear hole has a hump in the plastic, the slot is not as deep. That hump is the reverse of the cut out of the Elite, so the elite fits perfect. We tried to fit a PII and STEP in one, they both wouldn't fit. Customer tried at home and I tried as well. No go. I haven't tried it on a different pair yet, will do that when I get some time.

Now with the BlackEdge and nitinol blades available, I am wondering if Step Steel is my best choice to replace the regular Step Steel I have in my holders now? (LS2). I sharpen at home with the XO2, but would prefer to have a long lasting edge. If you all were to get new steel, how would you rank the current offerings? For me, being able to sharpen at home would impact my decision, so i guess the Nitinol blades are out. Thanks!

Now with the BlackEdge and nitinol blades available, I am wondering if Step Steel is my best choice to replace the regular Step Steel I have in my holders now? (LS2). I sharpen at home with the XO2, but would prefer to have a long lasting edge. If you all were to get new steel, how would you rank the current offerings? For me, being able to sharpen at home would impact my decision, so i guess the Nitinol blades are out. Thanks!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, it'd go with whichever is the highest grade steel; which sounds to be either Step or the new Easton steel.

I'm not an industry insider or anything, but Step must be looking into different blade coatings..

I would go with nitinol, I maintain a couple of sets with an X02 with no trouble. They take a few more passes but they are worth the effort.

Which color wheel are you using? I was pretty convinced the normal wheels would not touch them?

I use the orange wheel. Some have had problems chipping the nitinol while sharpening, I have never had this issue with the orange stone. Its been just over a year now since 'i sharpened my first set the orange works fine. The key I think is to dress you wheel more frequently. You can tell by the spark trail when its time to give the spinner a turn. I have a friend down south who maintains a set for his son he has no "mechanical" background what so ever and he is trucking along with no issues as well. Patience is the key. It might take longer to sharpen but the edge last forever so you sharpen less. The blades currently on my sons skates have were put on last Nov and they still look brand new as far as their height. These could easily last 3 to 4 years before they will need to be replaced. I don't skate on them myself but my son has no interest in going back to steel they perform that well.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, it'd go with whichever is the highest grade steel; which sounds to be either Step or the new Easton steel.

I'm not an industry insider or anything, but Step must be looking into different blade coatings..

Step's big advantage is the taller height, which gives better turning and longer sharpening life. These have to be factored in. Yes the quality of the STEP regular stainless is better than stock steel, and the Velocity is even better than that, so either is a good choice. BlackEdge is really just hitting the market, and from what I've seen, it will be very good for edge retention. I radiused 3 sets yesterday and am very impressed with the quality. As for Nitinol, it is certainly the best, doesn't need the extra height for sharpening life as these will likely last 10 years or more. Plus unbreakable compared to all the others, + lighter, better glide. So from a cost/benefit perspective, Nitinol wins hands down, but it has it's issues. Virtually impossible to grind out a deep nick or lost edge, it can take hours and dressing after every 2 passes. I just re-sharpened a pair for a ex NHLr playing in Europe that were trashed, and it wasn't a nice experience. And I have the correct wheel to sharpen them. I fear if one uses a regular wheel, and they have to do a lot of passes, the chipping problem will be a big issue. If I had to recommend steel, it would be STEP Velocity and BlackEdges as my top choices.