Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Just bought some Bauer Vapors for my mite son (size 2) about a month ago...He was on Reebok.

He skates a lot...about 4-5 times a week. Couldn't believe that the LS2 steel could not go more than 2-3 skates before I needed to sharpen them. Normally the old Reebok steel lasted 5-7 times before it needed to be sharpened.

Luckily, I have an x-01.

Talked to Midwest skate and picked up some Step steel (220) blades and he tried them out for the first time today. He loved them. Told me that edges felt more solid and turning was better than his old blades. This was with the 10 ft stock profile.

Glad I made the switch.

Just bought some Bauer Vapors for my mite son (size 2) about a month ago...He was on Reebok.

He skates a lot...about 4-5 times a week. Couldn't believe that the LS2 steel could not go more than 2-3 skates before I needed to sharpen them. Normally the old Reebok steel lasted 5-7 times before it needed to be sharpened.

Luckily, I have an x-01.

Talked to Midwest skate and picked up some Step steel (220) blades and he tried them out for the first time today. He loved them. Told me that edges felt more solid and turning was better than his old blades. This was with the 10 ft stock profile.

Glad I made the switch.

Stock Profile on Step Steel is 9-10É or did you have them profiled

I sold a pair of Blackedges to a guy I skate with back in June. He told me yesterday he's ready for his second sharpening. 36 sessions for him. Not bad. Jury is still out on Blacksteel, still too new to evaluate. I do like the extra height on the STEP blacksteel, especially if you are an aggressive leaner in turns. But given that both will withstand many more shapeneings than regular steel, both would be good choices.

• Like 1

I sold a pair of Blackedges to a guy I skate with back in June. He told me yesterday he's ready for his second sharpening. 36 sessions for him. Not bad. Jury is still out on Blacksteel, still too new to evaluate. I do like the extra height on the STEP blacksteel, especially if you are an aggressive leaner in turns. But given that both will withstand many more shapeneings than regular steel, both would be good choices.

Just got my Blackedge steel today and was amazed how much more feel for the ice you have and glide. Edges were real solid. Kind of like having a Ferrari on my feet. My previous steel was regular ls2 and this is my first set of performance steel. Delightful:)

p.s. Just saw a Bruins practice. Bergeron, Horton, and Marchand had a set blacksteel

Edited by Mattorious

I'm definitely going to be going with black step steel. Just need to save my pennies since ill need two pairs because I plan to send them away for FBV sharpening.

I just came back from my first session after switching out the stock steel on my One70s to Step Speed.

I have had my skates sharpened a fair bit and the original steel was getting quite low, and as was pointed out by the guy at the shop, the profile was very badly managed (I tend to just get them sharpened wherever).

So, I needed new runners anyway and was not specifically looking for Step, but the place I was at step is what they had. No problem says I, throw em on.

Granted, the stock steel on my One70s was the lower grade "tuuk super stainless" or whatever, but I wasn't really expecting to notice a difference, I mean steel is steel right? But holy cow, did I ever notice a difference. Maybe this is all in my head, but they just felt... smoother, somehow. Way better glide. The turning felt more solid as well.

Just a first skate, but man, I will be recommending these as replacement steel to anyone who asks. very happy customer right here.

Edited by Kessel'sOversizedSuit

I just got the Step Black steel a couple weeks ago and they are awesome I had them profiled to the same specs as my V-steel and even though its only been 2 weeks they seem to hold an edge a little better than the v-steel but i didn't notice that much of a difference but I love the look of them the black runner on my NXGs look awesome.

Someone who has or seen blackedge runners i was wondering do the have a mirror finish like the black steel does or not. I know you cant stone either one.

I just came back from my first session after switching out the stock steel on my One70s to Step Speed.

I have had my skates sharpened a fair bit and the original steel was getting quite low, and as was pointed out by the guy at the shop, the profile was very badly managed (I tend to just get them sharpened wherever).

So, I needed new runners anyway and was not specifically looking for Step, but the place I was at step is what they had. No problem says I, throw em on.

Granted, the stock steel on my One70s was the lower grade "tuuk super stainless" or whatever, but I wasn't really expecting to notice a difference, I mean steel is steel right? But holy cow, did I ever notice a difference. Maybe this is all in my head, but they just felt... smoother, somehow. Way better glide. The turning felt more solid as well.

Just a first skate, but man, I will be recommending these as replacement steel to anyone who asks. very happy customer right here.

no its definitely not just in your head the Step totally out preforms bauers super stainless and pretty much any bauer runner. I used to have the Fusions that came on my skates and I really didn't like them plus they bend if hit by a hard shot. When i upgraded to step V-steel it was like night and day. Plus i get my skates sharpened every week so the height of step is great not just for tight turning and profiling but the runners last much longer.

Mirror finish....

As I reported elsewhere, the local sharpener jacked up my BlackEdge runners by honing them. But, that said, they never had a mirror finish. It was a rather matted finish. (If I recall correctly....as they are definitely matte finish now!) DOH!

Can anyone tell me where I can get some of the "regular" Step Steel for E-Pro in 288. Hockey Monkey has practically nothing left and the sizes that they have are fewer and fewer every day. Has Step quit making it for E-Pro?

I'm in the U.S. I had checked out No-Icing before but since I don't want a custom radius, their statement below scared me away...

These fit all CCM and RBK skates with replaceable runners. Price is per runner and includes initial sharpening. These are STEP brand runners, which are of superior quality and have higher height and a longer sharpening life. Note: We are a custom radius shop and these runners are reserved for customers who are purchasing a custom radius. We do not sell just runners. Try another online store if you want just runners.

I do not think it would be fair of me to make a comment on another Pro Shop's policy. Myself I would sell you sharpened steel, however I would highly recommend getting them profiled as even though Step is far better and usually bang on from one runner to the next they are never 100%! For myself to ship to the US is much to costly i feel for the customers. That is why I mainly only do Pro and NCAA players blades because the team or school pays for the shipping. If you were to order 3 sets then maybe it would be worth it.

Maybe have a talk with the boy's there I am sure you can all work something out?

I'm in the U.S. I had checked out No-Icing before but since I don't want a custom radius, their statement below scared me away...

These fit all CCM and RBK skates with replaceable runners. Price is per runner and includes initial sharpening. These are STEP brand runners, which are of superior quality and have higher height and a longer sharpening life. Note: We are a custom radius shop and these runners are reserved for customers who are purchasing a custom radius. We do not sell just runners. Try another online store if you want just runners.

There is a reason we don't just sell steel anymore. In the past when the big online stores ran out, folks would find us online (we come up in the top google rankings) and then we'd get cleaned out of our supply. Then we'd try to reorder but manufacturers would be out for weeks. So, when we had a radius customer, we had no steel for them. We had to put the restriction on to keep the supply avail for our radius customers. Nothing to be afraid of, we clearly tell you up front what our policy is.

Kinda figured as much. Thanks for explaining that for the guy!

Trust me, I'd like nothing more to sell a set of steel to anyone, but getting steel from vendors sometimes is very difficult. I could have a dozen of one size in stock on Mon and be sold out on Wed. Then I reorder and they are backordered. Step doesn't always have all sizes in stock and it can take weeks to get what I need. People say, well why don't you just order more, well I do but when they only send me one pair when I ordered 10, that sucks. For my business, there is nothing worse than losing a custom radius order because I didn't have a set of steel for the radius customer. Someone who just wants a set of steel, no radius can get them instead from their local store or one of the big online stores.

Edited by jimmy

I am in the same boat. Happened last week luckily Step is close to me and has never been out when I have placed an order. I didn't look on the site but I take it you have to order from a US distributor? I thought I saw one before just wasn't sure.

There is a reason we don't just sell steel anymore. In the past when the big online stores ran out, folks would find us online (we come up in the top google rankings) and then we'd get cleaned out of our supply. Then we'd try to reorder but manufacturers would be out for weeks. So, when we had a radius customer, we had no steel for them. We had to put the restriction on to keep the supply avail for our radius customers. Nothing to be afraid of, we clearly tell you up front what our policy is.

I understand. I have bought custom radiused steel from you before for my son (and will continue to do so). You were very helpful and very easy to work with. I wasn't literally scared... I was just explaining why I hadn't called No-Icing. Thanks.