Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I am in the same boat. Happened last week luckily Step is close to me and has never been out when I have placed an order. I didn't look on the site but I take it you have to order from a US distributor? I thought I saw one before just wasn't sure.

Yes, I go thru their distributor, that adds to the mess.. Would be nice to have them up the street! It's also tough getting CCM steel right from CCM, seems they are frequently out. There was a time I literally robbed steel from every skate in the store just to fill orders.

Edited by jimmy

I don't see that happening, replacement parts are exempt from patent protection, e.g, same as auto parts.

This kinda makes a lot of sense actually........Well I sure hope Step can do it. It sure would be nice to keep going using there products at all times!

One, I have been told, they will enforce.

Jimmy Makes a lot of sense on this one here.......I wonder how they can do that when they havent on any others???

Digging up an old thread because I could not find the information I wanted regarding Step Steel blades, so I am sharing my findings.

So after a quick call to Step... "Al"l their blades are profiled to a 10ft Radius, with a neutral/slightly forward pitch.

Also, the Speed XL (Xtra Long) runners which fit on the Tuuk lightspeed holders run 5-7mm longer than what comes stock on your skates.

For example, my Nexus 800, size 7 come with 263mm runners 9ft radius stock... if I order Step XL Steel Runner at 263mm, I will get a runner that's profiled to 10ft, neutral pitch and 5mm more blade on the ice.

This kinda makes a lot of sense actually........Well I sure hope Step can do it. It sure would be nice to keep going using there products at all times!

Jimmy Makes a lot of sense on this one here.......I wonder how they can do that when they havent on any others???

Does sense always prevail though?

If this is the case I don't see why Bauer would go through the hassle of patenting the shape unless they just want to prevent other manufacturers from trying to copy their quick release holder idea.

If this is the case I don't see why Bauer would go through the hassle of patenting the shape unless they just want to prevent other manufacturers from trying to copy their quick release holder idea.

Don't see why? Guaranteeing that you're going to buy Bauer replacement steel to fit your holder is a pretty damn good reason.

Don't see why? Guaranteeing that you're going to buy Bauer replacement steel to fit your holder is a pretty damn good reason.

Wouldn't Bauer be more concerned with selling the skate and ensuring that no other (skate) company can copy its holder/runner interface design?

Having recently "converted" to Step steel, I can say that this will be my go to runner without question. If Bauer makes it so I can't use a step steel runner, I'd be less inclined to by a bauer skate if the competition did provide me with that flexibility. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

Of course, I wouldn't put the heavy handed/short sighted approach past any of these companies...

Wouldn't Bauer be more concerned with selling the skate and ensuring that no other (skate) company can copy its holder/runner interface design?

Having recently "converted" to Step steel, I can say that this will be my go to runner without question. If Bauer makes it so I can't use a step steel runner, I'd be less inclined to by a bauer skate if the competition did provide me with that flexibility. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

Of course, I wouldn't put the heavy handed/short sighted approach past any of these companies...

The average user base is going to pick a skate over a runner. By far and away.

No, but the law does. I'm not sure on Canadian law but in the US, it's pretty clear about replacement parts.

But you also have to have the money to fight it. I'm sure Bauer has much deeper pockets to fight this than Step does.

The average user base is going to pick a skate over a runner. By far and away.

I agree. Most people are going to buy for the skate. But why cut out the rest of the potential market in order to see a (marginal?) boost in runner sales?

I'm inclined to believe that Step will be making replacement blades for the new holders.

I don't know, but I can't believe for a second that the current bauer, easton, graf or RBK holders/runners aren't covered by patents. There's a reason they're all different. And yet Step has managed to provide replacements for all of them. Why would we assume it'll be any different for the new one? my guess is, it wont. but I admit its just a hunch.

What's most interesting to me is the difference in how CCM and Bauer seem to be treating the threat from Step. CCM will have a change in their top end steel in their new skates as well, but supposedly it is going to be a higher quality steel with a glossy polished finish...

I don't see that happening, replacement parts are exempt from patent protection, e.g, same as auto parts.

They are replacement parts. Therefore the patent doesn't stop step from making the blades.

This is to darn funny....

http://www.bauer.com/cms-media/13/02/15978-BAUER-live-main-default-imagedata.png

For ages we have been saying this why to use Step and all the while the companies have been saying it really does not make that much of a difference......now according to the site they have discovered this as if it is something new?? Really?

I wonder how they got the figure of 7%...sample data? Higher level geometry? Simple angles?

They collaborated with Blackstone and universities' studies. For all intents and purposes, they did indeed do their homework.

As Jeff said (in a way) nobody really paid attention to steel. Most people don't know what their ROH is, let alone their blade radius. Sometimes I feel we live in a bubble here on MSH, but you have to think globally in this situation - I applaud them for bringing the subject to light.

Who knows.. I just like the fact they admit that blades that are shorted do not work as well and boots hit the ice. It will make it so much easier to sell blades......"See it says right here on the site!"

I think you're reading that wrong...they are talking about shorter turning radius, not shorter blade height.

• Like 1

They collaborated with Blackstone and universities' studies. For all intents and purposes, they did indeed do their homework.

As Jeff said (in a way) nobody really paid attention to steel. Most people don't know what their ROH is, let alone their blade radius. Sometimes I feel we live in a bubble here on MSH, but you have to think globally in this situation - I applaud them for bringing the subject to light.

I think you're reading that wrong...they are talking about shorter turning radius, not shorter blade height.

Mhmm, a lot of us fall under a unique segment populated with many opinion leaders to which companies rely on to pass along information, such as yourself. Heh I learned that in marketing; great course. Thanks for the insight.