Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I was thinking about making the switch to Step Steel. I have LS2 steel in my Bauer Vaper 7.0LE skates that is getting fairly low. I really like the radius that comes on the steel from bauer and I wouldn't be against trying a different radius but if LS3 is the "copy" of Step and comes with the same radius as LS2. Would that be my best bet? Without a lot of back and forth if I don't like the Step radius?

I was thinking about making the switch to Step Steel. I have LS2 steel in my Bauer Vaper 7.0LE skates that is getting fairly low. I really like the radius that comes on the steel from bauer and I wouldn't be against trying a different radius but if LS3 is the "copy" of Step and comes with the same radius as LS2. Would that be my best bet? Without a lot of back and forth if I don't like the Step radius?

LS2 = 9' Radius neutral pitch

LS3 = 10' Radius Slightly forward pitch

Step = 10' Radius Slightly forward pitch

I have LS2 and Step, but prefred my LS2 radius and pitch so i sent my Step to No Icing to get them matched. No my Step are 9' Radius with neutral pitch

so my fusion steel took a shot and bent pretty bad , im looking at some step steel to replace it and was wondering if the step black steel was noticeably better then step velocity

Ok switched out fusion to step velocity wow what a difference. Taller steel felt good with tighter turns and edge control was awesome. Hope its not just in my head lol

Two questions: is the Fusion runners in the new APX2 the same radius/pitch as the LS3?

Any news of replacement runners from Blackedge or Step for the new lightspeed Edge holders?

Two questions: is the Fusion runners in the new APX2 the same radius/pitch as the LS3?

Any news of replacement runners from Blackedge or Step for the new lightspeed Edge holders?

No, the Fusion is a 9 ft radius, same as the LS2. LS3 is 10 ft.

There is no news of aftermarket steel being available for this holder either with Bauer being more strict about enforcing their patent on this design.

• Like 1

No, the Fusion is a 9 ft radius, same as the LS2. LS3 is 10 ft.

There is no news of aftermarket steel being available for this holder either with Bauer being more strict about enforcing their patent on this design.

What will be the difference in skating performance / overall feel between a 9 and 10 radius?

I heard that Bauer will obviously offer black coated versions of LS3 steel - do you think this is likely?

Skating on a 9 ft radius will be easier for maneuvering while the 10 ft will have more blade touching the ice to generate more speed. If you're used to skating on a 9 foot radius the 10 foot may feel like you've got skis strapped onto your feet the first couple of times.

I haven't heard anything about Bauer offering a black coated LS3 so I'm not sure how likely that would be. We last saw something similar on the Vapor 10 skate, maybe we'll see it again soon?

• Like 1

Skating on a 9 ft radius will be easier for maneuvering while the 10 ft will have more blade touching the ice to generate more speed. If you're used to skating on a 9 foot radius the 10 foot may feel like you've got skis strapped onto your feet the first couple of times.

The difference between a 9' and 10' radius is not that much. Anyone that says the difference is that bad is simply being melodramatic.

• Like 1

Any idea what radius most NHL players use? This very interesting chart doesn't tell it exaclty: http://i.imgur.com/LR4Hi9rh.jpg

To be honest, I don't really care what profiles NHL players use. That chart is very precise in regards to the profiles for most of the players.

To be honest, I don't really care what profiles NHL players use. That chart is very precise in regards to the profiles for most of the players.

Would you think the majority is using a 9' or 10' radius ? Just as a pointer for me :)

What radius other players use is irrelevant. Everybody's different and you should choose what works for you.

Would you think the majority is using a 9' or 10' radius ? Just as a pointer for me :)

• Like 1

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm currently in 11ks with epro holders. I have Step Steel and Blackedge runners that I rotate in/out, depending on what's sharp.

I picked up a pair of Graf G3s that I'd like to use more, but skating on them feels way "off" coming from the epros. If I bought Step Steel for the Cobra 5000s (I think those are the holders on the Grafs), how close do you think it might feel to using Step Steel in My epros/11ks? Any chance that it might feel close to how Step Steel feels in Epros and or LS2 (used in the past). Thanks!

Edited by sickwilly

Quick Q - the runner on one of my NXGs is bent, and I think it's due to the Fusion steel having that aluminum section. I'm in Australia so there aren't any shops that can reset the runner, and was thinking that the stronger steel from Step might be the ticket.

Do you guys think that would solve the problem?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm currently in 11ks with epro holders. I have Step Steel and Blackedge runners that I rotate in/out, depending on what's sharp.

I picked up a pair of Graf G3s that I'd like to use more, but skating on them feels way "off" coming from the epros. If I bought Step Steel for the Cobra 5000s (I think those are the holders on the Grafs), how close do you think it might feel to using Step Steel in My epros/11ks? Any chance that it might feel close to how Step Steel feels in Epros and or LS2 (used in the past). Thanks!

I've skated in both (still use G3's), the pitch in the boots are too different for just a steel to overcome. You would have to get the steel reprofiled if you want the G3's to feel similar to the 11ks. If you like how the G3's feel then it would be better to get the 11ks shimmed.

Quick Q - the runner on one of my NXGs is bent, and I think it's due to the Fusion steel having that aluminum section. I'm in Australia so there aren't any shops that can reset the runner, and was thinking that the stronger steel from Step might be the ticket.

Do you guys think that would solve the problem?

Yes, same thing happened to me and went with step and havnt looked back. Much better steel they hold an edge much longer.

Okay so I ordered some Step V-Steel. Anything I need to let my sharpener know before he sharpens them assuming he doesn't already know how to sharpen them? How do I keep the mirror finish? Honing the sides or something? If I chose to not have that done to keep the mirrored finish, how would that affect the sharpen?

-noob

Okay so I ordered some Step V-Steel. Anything I need to let my sharpener know before he sharpens them assuming he doesn't already know how to sharpen them? How do I keep the mirror finish? Honing the sides or something? If I chose to not have that done to keep the mirrored finish, how would that affect the sharpen?

-noob

The outside polished area is very hard and generally does not need honing. You will never notice any difference, honed or unhoned. A honing stone will scratch them. On brand new ones someone buys from us we do not hone, seems some do not like getting new steel with any scratches. After you play on them a while they will get naturally hacked up by skates blades, at that point, hone away.

Yes, same thing happened to me and went with step and havnt looked back. Much better steel they hold an edge much longer.

Have a bent Fusion I need to replace as well.

Regarding the foot tracing, do they account for the thickness of the writing instrument? For example, if you use a pencil, and hold it perfectly vertical i.e. perpendicular to the floor, your foot is gonna seem wider than it really is. I understand you can angle the pencil tip sort of "inward" to get a closer tracing, but how far would you go since your foot isn't completely flush w/ the floor, especially the arch area?

Regarding the foot tracing, do they account for the thickness of the writing instrument? For example, if you use a pencil, and hold it perfectly vertical i.e. perpendicular to the floor, your foot is gonna seem wider than it really is. I understand you can angle the pencil tip sort of "inward" to get a closer tracing, but how far would you go since your foot isn't completely flush w/ the floor, especially the arch area?

I think you have the wrong topic. Are you talking about the custom skates from VH Footwear?

On another note, I have been really liking the step steel I picked up for my one100's. The steel sharpens nicely and seems to hold an edge longer. So far no complaints.