Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Oh man, I totally have the wrong topic. Sorry. Mods please move my post if so inclined.

EDIT: Yes, I was referring to the VH custom skates.

Edited by Neo5370

The outside polished area is very hard and generally does not need honing. You will never notice any difference, honed or unhoned. A honing stone will scratch them. On brand new ones someone buys from us we do not hone, seems some do not like getting new steel with any scratches. After you play on them a while they will get naturally hacked up by skates blades, at that point, hone away.

Thank you

Okay so I ordered some Step V-Steel. Anything I need to let my sharpener know before he sharpens them assuming he doesn't already know how to sharpen them? How do I keep the mirror finish? Honing the sides or something? If I chose to not have that done to keep the mirrored finish, how would that affect the sharpen?

-noob

Some sharpeners use leather to hone the steel since it doesn't affect the mirror finish. I personally have the Step blacksteel which looks like a black v steel since it also has a mirror finish and I use a leather pad taped to a cut piece of hockey stick as a handle it works well but like jimmy said they don't really need honing after a sharpening.

Yes, I use a nice slab of leather to break off any steel shavings, more for looks for the customers, but honestly, not needed, the V steel is very strong on the outside edge and really needs nothing honing wise in regards to performance.

Based on what I read here on different forum posts, I ordered a set of StepSteel Velocity runners a couple months ago from No Icing. In my experience, they hold an edge much, much longer than the stock CCM steel. In fact, I am finally sending them in this week for sharpening for the first time, and I am on the ice 2-3 times a week. Super impressed to the point that I ordered another set so I don't have to use the CCM steel while they are sent out. I absolutely love them.

We traded out the CCM steel for Step Velocity steel in my sons U+12s. After they started to get a little nicked up and a few local sharpeners got ahold of them, I just gave up on the whole don't hone thing. They look pretty beat up now. I hate trying to get a decent and consistant skate sharpening in this state.

Would you say all of the Step Steel doesn't require honing or only the polished blades?

Regular Step needs honing, the Velo and Blacksteel do not. You can hone them if ever needed but it will scratch the surface.

Edited by jimmy

Thanks Jimmy, follow up question. My LHS carries regular Step but not the Velocity. Is the Velocity far superior or would regular Step with honing provide similar performance?

The consensus I get from this forum is that the velocity step is not noticeably better than regular step because its the same steel just polished.

Can anybody in the knowu tell me how close we are too seeing titanium fusion step steel?

Thanks Jimmy, follow up question. My LHS carries regular Step but not the Velocity. Is the Velocity far superior or would regular Step with honing provide similar performance?

Regualar Step is just fine, the Velos do have tougher outer edges and sharpenings will last longer but performance wise, they are really identical.

Finally got out to try my Step. Thought it would take a while but it just felt right the moment I stepped onto the ice. The bite was really nice and the glide was nice. Only thing that I didn't like was the size of the back of the blade affected my backwards skating, which wasn't strong to begin with. Going to keep on trying em out, and maybe get em profiled to help with the backwards skating if I can't adjust.

does the quality of the LS3 steel differ a lot from step speed? i can get LS3 cheaper but hear too many good things about step

I like step steel more, for the $20 or so more expensive it is, I think it's worth it

Step is not more expensive than Bauer, about the same price. Now if you are talking Velocity Step, then yes, that's about $20 more, but Step regular is better than bauer regular, hands down.

thanks. it will be a difference of about $25 for me if i get the LS3 discounted from someone. price is always the biggest factor for me when im buying (anything)

thanks. it will be a difference of about $25 for me if i get the LS3 discounted from someone. price is always the biggest factor for me when im buying (anything)

If you are getting a discount then sure, go for the LS3, but the price difference between LS3 and STEP, the LS3 costs more and it is not a better quality steel than Step, so why pay more. Bauer copied Step's taller steel. They finally realized out that taller is better.

where can i get step steel from a hockey site w/or without holder combo? need 280 Left and Right. HM.com and ebay and no result. Dosent care if its LS2 or Custom + holders just want that damn Step Steel :D.

where can i get step steel from a hockey site w/or without holder combo? need 280 Left and Right. HM.com and ebay and no result. Dosent care if its LS2 or Custom + holders just want that damn Step Steel :D.

totalhockey.com

thehockeyshop.com

Tucker, everything JR keeps posting is that Bauer intends to enforce its patent on the steel for the LS Edge and at a minimum it will likely require a IP declaratory judgment action before any possible aftermarket supplier can sell so you are probably stuck with LS3 as your best option for the foreseeable future.

Edited by ID Rollerpop