Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Revision Vanquish Skate

Mods, feel free to move this to the Equipment Review section, but please place a link to it from here.

Thanks.

** Personal Background **

Height/Weight: 6’0” / 200lbs

Position: Defensemen

Time On Floor: At least 4 times a week.

Teams: 2 men’s league teams, Pennsylvania Typhoon (PIHA), Florida Fusion (MLRH), Loyola University Greyhounds Coaching Staff(NCRHA)

Previous Skate: Tour E2 boot, Labeda Sensor Chassis, Revision Variant Wheels ... used for 3 years.

** Intro **

I was waiting until I had a little time in them and then got all the info I wanted before I made a public assessment of them. For those curious about how the 100mm wheel on the back feel… if you’ve skated on HiLo frames before, then you’ll be fine. The way the chassis vertical offsets are setup for the wheels, you are no higher then you are on HiLo’s. And there is no need for grooves in the sole of the boot to accommodate this like the Tour Lo-Boy design.

** Fit **

To start, I have a wider foot then most so please keep this in mind. I received the skates and tried them on, and they were a little snug around the ball of the foot width-wise. So I went out to open hockey and my feet literally hurt so bad I wanted to throw up. HOWEVER, the next day I went to my ice hockey pro shop and had them punched around that area and baked. They fit great now and no discomfort anywhere. No blisters, no odd rubbing, no tightness that shouldn’t be there. Once baked, my heels fit in perfectly and have had no problems with them slipping around. The insert around the ankle bone is extremely comfortable. No problems at all with the fit… once the skates were baked. Again, I have a wider foot, so I don’t think people with “normal” feet will have the same problems I did.

Fit Rating: 9.5/10

** Weight **

I’ve never been a big complainer about skate weight. Either the skate is a little heavier (by ounces) and it protects better, or you end up with some flimsy POS that when you get shot, you’re on the shelf for a while. Because these skates have the larger wheel in the back, and a sturdy chassis, they are a little heavier then most currently on the market. However, the trade-off is completely worth it performance-wise.

Weight Rating: 9/10

** Protection **

Since I’m a D-man, I have no issue standing in front of shots. I’ve been dinged on the side of the foot, square on the toe cap, and on the laces… no pain at all.

Protection Rating: 10/10

** Durability **

Skating on these for the past couple months about 4 times a week, they have held up very well. The boots still fit correctly. No eyelets ripping out or loss of stiffness in the boot material. The chassis has taken a number of slap shots directly on the frame at various points and have no dents or dings to show for it. I have not had to replace/rotate a wheel yet. And the bolts on the chassis are not easily stripped. So far so good in my books.

Durability Rating: 10/10

** Chassis/Bearings/Wheels **

* Chassis *

These things are work horses!! They look like they are reinforced and are setup to feel like a Hi-Lo setup. As stated above, I’ve been shot a couple of times and have no wear on the chassis except for little puck skid-marks. However, for you weight critics, it does weigh a little more then your Mag frames.

* Bearings *

Lets be honest here, they’re bearings. They roll, they make the wheel spin around, and that’s what matters. I like them, and they like me. I’d def buy another set in the future.

* Wheels *

Revision Variant Golds – Read any other review on here I’ve written about these things for the 76mm wheels. The 100mm C-Note wheel is what I’d rather focus on. I was personally a little leery about these things for the simple fact that It’s A Bigger Wheel! I’ve snapped off 80mm wheels like slim-jims, and was afraid with the hard style of stopping I have, that I would make short work of these new monsters. Here I am months later, and not a sign of ripping from the hub, splitting apart, or chunking. I don’t know what magic these guys did with these wheels, but I’m seriously impressed. However, the only downside is availability. Obviously no other hockey wheel company makes these, but you can find them at your internet Inline Warehouse for the same price as the regular Revision Variant wheels. So if you are concerned about breaking them, just get a spare set. No worries.

Chassis Rating: 9/10 (only issue is weight for some)

Bearing Rating: 10/10

Wheel Rating: 9/10 (only issue is availability of the 100mm)

** Overall Performance **

I’m not going to feed a bunch of BS about these making you a faster skater or anything, but I have noticed a little extra speed when I get moving. Skating backwards takes a little getting used to with the 100mm, but I have noticed, again, a little extra speed. Whether it’s a mental thing or not can be debated, but the measurable fact that the average wheel size is (100+76+76+76) / 4 = 82mm has to count for something. The overall performance is great, and they have not disappointed me in any regard.

Overall Performance Rating: 10/10

*** Overall ***

Let me put it this way, I’d get them all over again if I have a choice. They perform well, I have had no issues with them, and I highly recommend them to anyone thinking about them. Again, if you’re concerned about the whole 100mm thing… Get A Spare Set. The feel is great, the design is great, and the concept of the big wheel in the back takes it to another level.

Overall Rating: 9/10 (only because of the slight increase in weight, availability of 100mm hockey wheels.)

Anyone can feel free to contact me if you have any further questions about these. Now if only I can get my hands on a Viceroy...

- Frank~Frank

THANK YOU!!! I was waiting for a review on these things. I am very intrested in getting a pair but didnt want to order them without a solid review. How did they fit size wise did you go one size down from shoe size?

length wise very similar to missions... width wise its a mix between D and E width. Very comfortable, and the tongue has an inbuilt flop

if you have a pair which i'm wouldn't be totally shocked at ;) then i would believe but these other low posts users giving out 10/10 reviews make me :lol:

length wise very similar to missions... width wise its a mix between D and E width. Very comfortable, and the tongue has an inbuilt flop

if you have a pair which i'm wouldn't be totally shocked at ;) then i would believe but these other low posts users giving out 10/10 reviews make me :lol:

FrankFrank is as legit of a roller hockey guy as it gets. Even if his post count is low, his word has impact, he has quite a resume behind him.

Thanks Invert.

Shute, I typically post at the "other" inline site. I do apologize for the low post count, I just tend to listen over here at MSH. Less drama I have to address. = )

F~F

Give it to Frank2, no matter what its still his opinion of the product.

And yes... I did spring for a pair of them. I couldnt resist the temptation of trying something new... I havent used them yet, as I only got them a week or so ago. I cant just swap over a few days before Nationals..

Trying something new always has its rewards, for me the swap to sprungs has changed the way I play dramatically, plus the fact that I did get them mounted on some Torspo which has been the only pair of skates I've really been able to wear.

Once we're done with Nationals, I'll give them a real go and post a review.

For those of you in the market for new skates, and/or who may be concerned about trying the Vanquish skate due to the 100mm C-Note Availability check out www.inlinewarehouse.com . They are currently running a promotion that includes and additional FREE set of Variant wheels when you purchase the Vanquish Skate, that includes 2 C-notes. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about any of our Revision Hockey products.

nabeel@revisionhockey.com or tyler@revisionhockey.com

I originally bought some discount skates to get started back into roller cuz i hadnt played since i was 13, some 15 years ago. they did the job just fine for a while, but i changed over to the RV vanquish because im always open to try new technology, especially being a player than needs every advantage he can get if you know what i mean.

The 100 mm wheel definitely took some getting used to but after that i did feel an increase in speed for sure. im catching back up to guys that are normally smoking me.

The control while turning and cutting is what really impressed me 10 fold. i was under the impression that the 100mm wheel was just for speed but it turned out to help my control even more than the speed factor. again, being an experience challenged player and a bigger guy at 200 lbs, this really helped my game out immensely. this has changed my game completely.