Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

You're just trying to remove the burr. I just do a single pass, dry.

A student of mine suggested running down the edge with a piece of copper or aluminum to remove the burr; since both metals are softer than steel, they won't dull the edge.

I don´t know if i have a problem with honing the blades after grinding or not.

I´m using the 220grit orange blackstone honing Stone with water. If i use an older stone the burrs are completely removed but the edge doesn´t feel very sharp. If i use a fresh stone the edges feel quite sharp but i can feel a little burr left when i use my thumbnail moving against the edge. Using the stones without water produces quite the same result.

How do you hone the skates ? What kind of stones do you use ? Do you use them dry or wet or with oil ?

Thanks

DMT W7EFC Diamond Whetstones (Blue - Coarse & Red-Fine) with water.

The prep:

-Wipe down after sharpening

-Wet the stone

-Single sweep up and down with the whole stone to remove the rougher burs so I don't cut myself

The hone:

- I use the very edge to take off rest.

- Middle finger underneath and thumb to hold it flat. Index finger as a support for the stone as I don't want to take off an edge by accident.

- Short up and down motions while I move down the blade.

Untitled-1_zpse3d3ec2d.jpg

If I wanted to really get all the burs out and make it really sharp, I'd use the green ultra-fine stone but the blue and red stones are good enough

Edited by Xero117

Currently skating on FBV 100/50, but heard good things about 95/75. How much of a difference is the feel and the attributes of 95/75 vs 100/50? Is there really a noticeable difference, or is it very subtle? I currently like 100/50, but wouldn't mind a little more grip on my edges.

Just for reference, I'm 5'9", 170lbs, and skate on relatively hard ice indoors.

Thanks

I usually suggest staying with the same type of FBV and only changing one variable at a time. Most of my guys say that it is pretty noticeable, they prefer the extra grip of the 95/75

Currently skating on FBV 100/50, but heard good things about 95/75. How much of a difference is the feel and the attributes of 95/75 vs 100/50? Is there really a noticeable difference, or is it very subtle? I currently like 100/50, but wouldn't mind a little more grip on my edges.

Just for reference, I'm 5'9", 170lbs, and skate on relatively hard ice indoors.

Thanks

I'm 6'-5", 190# and really like 100/50.

MT is a vacuum when it comes to hockey shops, and I ran out of time to send my skates to Noicing, so I put a radius on them. Bob said that 100/50 was roughly equivalent to 9/16, but I HATED 9/16 and am now on 1/2" until I can send my skates back to him.

What were you on for radius?

At your weight and with hard ice, you might like 95/75 better.

I'm 6'-5", 190# and really like 100/50.

MT is a vacuum when it comes to hockey shops, and I ran out of time to send my skates to Noicing, so I put a radius on them. Bob said that 100/50 was roughly equivalent to 9/16, but I HATED 9/16 and am now on 1/2" until I can send my skates back to him.

What were you on for radius?

At your weight and with hard ice, you might like 95/75 better.

You could do what some folks do -- two sets of runners.

I'm using Blademaster's BFD X8 sharpening for my skate long time.
Yesterday I changed it to X7 for more bite but it was too big change and gap for me.
BFD only have 4 kinds, X5, 6, 7 and 8.
I feel this is too roughly... So I'm thinking to buy Blackstone's adapter dresser of FBV for Blademaster sharpener at my own expense.

But I have a question.

This MAG-75 dresser doesn't have height adjustment.
I want to ask someone who have experiences to use this dresser, can it really work on the Blademaster table correctly?

blackstone_mag_75_2c.jpg

Edited by Mimizk
  • Like 1

Heya, Thanks for all the information. I seem to be having an issue that even though both edges of the blade are equal with the bat gauge, it seems like one edge is always sharper then the other and I am wondering if anyone may have run into that?

Yesterday I changed it to X7 for more bite but it was too big change and gap for me.

I feel this is too roughly... So I'm thinking to buy Blackstone's adapter dresser of FBV for Blademaster sharpener at my own expense.

But I have a question.

I want to ask someone who have experiences to use this dresser, can it really work on the Blademaster table correctly?

blackstone_mag_75_2c.jpg

works just fine

But I have a question.

blackstone_mag_75_2c.jpg

Yeah, it buts up to it no problem. I've used a MAG-75 on a Blademaster machine.

Yeah, it buts up to it no problem. I've used a MAG-75 on a Blademaster machine.

Thank you JR,

It's exactly expensive though, how do you think what 3or5 kinds of FBV spinner do you choose for similar as BFD's X8~7?

@ nunavut

"... one edge is always sharper..."

Hi, I think that your holder is de-calibrated. Have a look at the wissota-Homepage for a detailed calibration-instruction:

"Understand skate sharpening - 3D three dial skate holder set-up and maintenance"

p.s.: I can`t quote or copy-paste anymore !?

Edited by hockeydad3

damn.........they changed their prices to USD's now?

not cool ....the canadian looney lost value compared to it...

Not really, it just shows USD for some reason.

It costs the same in CAD.

I had to log into my account to see the price in CAD.

I'll be picking up the X01 or X02 soon.

Still not sure which machine to pick up.

I have been owning a X02 since 2010 and its dope. Best purchase i ever made. But the xo1 is probably fine too.

Anyways, they charge usd's to Americans and Cad's to canadians? Same nominal value? You sure about that? It shows usd's when i browse their site and im in canada. Im about to buy a bunch of new spinners and wheels so i'd like to know.

I went in for my 2nd FBV sharpening today. I asked about cross grinding first and the guy said no. He said he dresses the wheel but cross grinding each time will wear down the steel too fast. So is that right?

I have been owning a X02 since 2010 and its dope. Best purchase i ever made. But the xo1 is probably fine too.

Anyways, they charge usd's to Americans and Cad's to canadians? Same nominal value? You sure about that? It shows usd's when i browse their site and im in canada. Im about to buy a bunch of new spinners and wheels so i'd like to know.

@lpgbackups: I just want to start saying that your review on the X02 was awesome, it's the primary reason why I'm leaning toward the X02 over the X01.

As for the price, just login to your account and see the price for yourself, sorry this doesn't help those of you that do not have an account.

I'm also in Canada, Victoria BC, not that it matters. I see US as well, then CA once I login.

15741832067_f5536aa0c5_c.jpg

I went in for my 2nd FBV sharpening today. I asked about cross grinding first and the guy said no. He said he dresses the wheel but cross grinding each time will wear down the steel too fast. So is that right?

Yes. Cross grinding is an aggressive cutting mechanism, and should be reserved for situations like removing heavy rust or large, deep nicks from blades. It also comes in handy when edges are extremely unlevel. (A number of profiling/contouring/shaping systems also involve using the cross grinder.) If you have your blades cross ground prior to each sharpening, it will indeed shorten their lifespan considerably.

A quick sharpening story. I own a Xo2, might have one of the first ones out, I am a Blackstone FBV thread viewer since page 1! Anyway through the years I respond to people about the positives about owning a sharpener vs taking to a pro shop. The reasons are plenty.

Recently I was reminded of maybe the most important reason....accuracy. I am somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to gear (hockey or fishing).

I bought a sharpener and became pretty good at it. I never let a pair of skates leave my sharpening table without absolute level edges. I live in Minnesota, we have pro-shops on nearly every corner. On occasion I sharpen my boys teammates skates. I always do one thing prior to sharpening, check the edge for level.

I am always shocked at how out of level the edges are. The boys have their skates sharpened at very reputable shops in the area. I am not exaggerating when I say the edges are usually out of level by more than 3 marks on the BR edge checker. Sometimes off several bars from the back to the front of the same blade! The leveler sometimes is nearly vertical. Off level so bad I inspect for nicks in the blade or long scrapes.

I guess this is not necessarily a knock on the people that are profiting by sharpening skates, rather a warning for customers to be more vigilant. If I were to do this youth hockey thing all over again. The very least thing I would do is invest in an edge checker so I can keep my pro shop honest. If you want to do it right, by all means buy a sharpener as soon as you know your kids will be in it for the long haul....Keep in mind these things hold their value like nothing else. You will always get your money out of a sharpener. If you are considering it, just do it you will never regret the decision.

Edit for accuracy it was page 3 when I decided to buy a Blackstone funny thing about that is FBV is still considered new technology. Initially I was going to buy the X01 then changed my mind. This thing is 6 years old!! holy crap time flies. It looks and runs like it is brand new. I have probably sharpened 1000 pair of skates. I have used about 4 wheels and gone through 2-3 spinners. one thing I noticed, kids feet grow. I started out sharpening size 3-4 and now I am doing 9-10's. One friend of my kid has a 14......SKATE!!! takes half a stone to sharpen those things. Anyway Kudos to Blackstone, you make a great product.

Edited by mnpucker

@lpgbackups: I just want to start saying that your review on the X02 was awesome, it's the primary reason why I'm leaning toward the X02 over the X01.

As for the price, just login to your account and see the price for yourself, sorry this doesn't help those of you that do not have an account.

I'm also in Canada, Victoria BC, not that it matters. I see US as well, then CA once I login.

15741832067_f5536aa0c5_c.jpg

yeah, thanks for the precision about their prices..

and yeah, thanks for loving my X02 review that i made a while ago...i dont recall ever having been so emotional about a product before or since lol, ...... if you pull the trigger on an X02 you wont regret it thats for sure...if you're a huge hockey fanatic like me i suggest you buy it.. you'll love it..... if you're not a fanatic like me, i guess an X01 would be fine. people on this forum have reviewed it too i think. either way, you can't go wrong... Blackstone are nice people and they make solid stuff and everything is really easy to use.... the only thing i hate about them is how painfully expensive they charge for shipping.....so im forced to make $150 + orders every time i buy something to get free shipping lol... ..anyways ...cant wait for this winter.

Enjoy!

Everyday is a Great Day for Hockey

Edited by lpgbackups

@mnpucker and @lpgbackups

Thanks for your lasts posts, I'll be picking up the X02 in the next week or so, that's just the push I needed to get my butt in gear.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted about this yet, but to those thinking about picking up an X01 or X02, Blackstone currently has a promo until the end of year where the X-series Accessory kit is only $99 with purchase of a machine, this is a great deal considering it's regularly $160. Getting the Bat gauge alone is $125, plus it comes with a lot of other goodies.

I'll be picking up the 100/50 for now, and will most likely try the 95/75 or 90/75.

I know this has been done to death so I'll just go back and see what Chadd recommended as a rough equivalent to a 1/2 ROH.

Thanks guys for keeping this thread going for 6 years, you guys are a wealth of information.

Cheers

I'll be picking up the 100/50 for now, and will most likely try the 95/75 or 90/75.

I know this has been done to death so I'll just go back and see what Chadd recommended as a rough equivalent to a 1/2 ROH.

Thanks guys for keeping this thread going for 6 years, you guys are a wealth of information.

Cheers

Since my name was thrown out there:

95/75 will feel more like 1/2" ROH than 90/75. I used to use 5/8 or 3/4 and I feel more comfortable on 90/75.