Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

I'm currently on the 100/50 moving from a 1/2" ROH. I noticed that my skates seemed a little "slippery" when just gliding around. Is that just because of how the FBV works or would I be able to go to a 90/75 and feel less "slippery" when gliding. I didn't really notice anything great about the glide on these, rather, I just want something that I can really get into when turning. I still want to be able to glide, but it just seemed like I was sliding a bit when I wasn't skating. That said, when I was skating the edges were awesome. I could stop, cut, turn, etc, so that part I really liked. Would a 90/75 be good starting move from the 100/50 or should I look at something different?

Also, the ice I skate on I think, would be considered "Regular" with the occasional Hard ice coming into play.

First time I skated on FBV I thought I had no edges. Mustering up some courage I decided to skate hard and make some sharp cuts and stops. I then realized that what I was first experiencing was the glide factor associated with FBV. Moving from 100/50 to 90/75 is going to get you less bite. In fact, quite a bit less bite.

• Like 1

As Mojo stated, that slippery feeling is what you are supposed to get while gliding. When gliding, you are getting a hollow that feels more like a 2 inch hollow. Yet, when you dig in, you get the bite of a 1/2" hollow with 100/50. You just have to trust your edges to be there.

• Like 1

Ok, sounds good. I had no problems with my edges at all, so that was good :) I just wasn't sure if what I was feeling when standing was due to the new sharpening or not. I'll continue on the road with the 100/50 and now that I know what I should be feeling, I probably won't notice it much now.

Just for knowledge sake, since Mojo mentioned that a 90/75 would be less bite, what would be the next step up to more bit and a little less glide? I'm still trying to get a handle on the numbers for FBV. Thanks!

I just tried 90/50 and I think I found my hollow. Even my friends noticed my glide and hope it's not just placebo. Now I can sharpen my back up runners the same. I am done tinkering.

I tried this new place for sharpening and inquired if the type of FBV is blackstone. The guy gave me a weird look and said Blademaster is the same thing but I requested Blackstone. After reading this thread I learned not to fall for that.

Thanks for this thread.

I just tried 90/50 and I think I found my hollow. Even my friends noticed my glide and hope it's not just placebo. Now I can sharpen my back up runners the same. I am done tinkering.

I tried this new place for sharpening and inquired if the type of FBV is blackstone. The guy gave me a weird look and said Blademaster is the same thing but I requested Blackstone. After reading this thread I learned not to fall for that.

Thanks for this thread.

Yeah, there aren't "types" of FBV. It is or it isn't.

I have a pair of original Makos I'm planning to have resharpened. I purchased them used and this is the first time I'm sharpening them, so unsure what the radius is.

I'm 5'11" and fluctuate between 165 and 170 and have been skating 3 months.

Recommendations for radius?

I think you're asking what hollow you should use rather than radius. Radius is the contour of the blade from front to back (CXN holders have a 9' radius stock). I think if you want to try FBV then 90/75 would probably be a good starting point.

Just for knowledge sake, since Mojo mentioned that a 90/75 would be less bite, what would be the next step up to more bit and a little less glide? I'm still trying to get a handle on the numbers for FBV. Thanks!

On the x/75 scale, 95/75 is the next step up in bite (compared to 90/75). Out of the 15 or so guys that I sharpen for; 1 uses 100/50, 3 use 90/75 and the rest use 95/75.

I just had a 90/50 done at a LHS and the gliding surface looks really rough, almost like seeing a line every 1/8 of a inch going crossways to the blade I'm guessing this will hinder speed is that right? or is it not a big deal.

i use both 100/50 and 95/75 and i think they're pretty similar and pretty great....im not even sure which one is supposed to have a more aggressive bite. i love them both...

i tried 90/75 and it slides way too much for me.

I'm definitely getting used to and loving the 100/50 now. I'm glad that I stuck with it because it's soo much better than ROH. I'm definitely never going back to the old way.

I just had a 90/50 done at a LHS and the gliding surface looks really rough, almost like seeing a line every 1/8 of a inch going crossways to the blade I'm guessing this will hinder speed is that right? or is it not a big deal.

You will likely feel it. In my experience it's like skating on chewed up ice instead of smooth ice

95/1 is comparable to which hollow please? I am looking for more glide and was gonna do my back up blades to 90/50. I tried 100/50 and didn't feel it had enough glide.

I am a smaller player at 155 pounds and my height is 5.72 feet.

7/16 is comparable

On the x/75 scale, 95/75 is the next step up in bite (compared to 90/75). Out of the 15 or so guys that I sharpen for; 1 uses 100/50, 3 use 90/75 and the rest use 95/75.

Chadd, what would be the difference between the 100/50 and the 95/75? I'm still trying to figure out the different sharpening numbers. Thx!

i use both 100/50 and 95/75 and i think they're pretty similar and pretty great....im not even sure which one is supposed to have a more aggressive bite. i love them both...

i tried 90/75 and it slides way too much for me.

Exactly correct. The 100/50, 90/1 and 95/75 feel exactly the same and a difference cannot be noted by the skater. As you said, all are great.

Exactly correct. The 100/50, 90/1 and 95/75 feel exactly the same and a difference cannot be noted by the skater. As you said, all are great.

No, they don't feel exactly the same. I have a bunch of guys on my team that may not be able to tell you what the numbers are, but they can tell you that they feel different.

Chadd, what would be the difference between the 100/50 and the 95/75? I'm still trying to figure out the different sharpening numbers. Thx!

Most of the guys that I sharpen for said that the 100/50 didn't feel like it had as much bite when compared to the 95/75

Years ago I blind tested the settings when they came out. I used great skaters, average skaters and beginners. None knew when I made a change, none noticed any difference. I rotated back and forth between the settings from week to week and never got any feedback that they felt different. While I love Blackstone as a company, their proliferation of spinners just for the sake of it, to sell more spinners is just the way they do business. Over the years, they've changed what equivalent hollow their spinners were suppose to be as well. Going from a 100/50 to a 92/75 is noticeable and to a 95/1 is noticeable, I blind tested those too.

Years ago I blind tested the settings when they came out. I used great skaters, average skaters and beginners. None knew when I made a change, none noticed any difference. I rotated back and forth between the settings from week to week and never got any feedback that they felt different. While I love Blackstone as a company, their proliferation of spinners just for the sake of it, to sell more spinners is just the way they do business. Over the years, they've changed what equivalent hollow their spinners were suppose to be as well. Going from a 100/50 to a 92/75 is noticeable and to a 95/1 is noticeable, I blind tested those too.

I'm shocked to hear it because I have forgotten to change spinners (100/50 and 95/75) and the guy in question immediately noticed it when he stepped on the ice. When I got home and checked, he was right, I used the wrong spinner.

I'm shocked to hear it because I have forgotten to change spinners (100/50 and 95/75) and the guy in question immediately noticed it when he stepped on the ice. When I got home and checked, he was right, I used the wrong spinner.

"What did you do to my skates?" Is what I heard when my kid hit the ice with 95-75 vs his usual 100-50. They notice.

No, they don't feel exactly the same. I have a bunch of guys on my team that may not be able to tell you what the numbers are, but they can tell you that they feel different.

Most of the guys that I sharpen for said that the 100/50 didn't feel like it had as much bite when compared to the 95/75

This is exactly true 100/50 does not have as much bite as 95/75.

First time I skated on FBV I thought I had no edges. Mustering up some courage I decided to skate hard and make some sharp cuts and stops. I then realized that what I was first experiencing was the glide factor associated with FBV. Moving from 100/50 to 90/75 is going to get you less bite. In fact, quite a bit less bite.

As Mojo stated, that slippery feeling is what you are supposed to get while gliding. When gliding, you are getting a hollow that feels more like a 2 inch hollow. Yet, when you dig in, you get the bite of a 1/2" hollow with 100/50. You just have to trust your edges to be there.

Good to know when i try the 90/75 for the next sharpening