Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

9 minutes ago, strosedefence34 said:

Yeah, I am thinking that may be the best corse of action having the shop do the first sharpening or just using an old wheel until I establish some sort of an edge.  Chances are I am either going to buy steel from the shop I worked for or from JR to support MSH so I trust them to do the first sharpening.

Personally I think that's the best way to go.  I've learned the hard way that not making enough passes on the initial sharpening of new steel can be unfortunate. Heh.

6 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

Thanks for the responses this will help.  I remembered my other question new steel.  What do you guys do about that?  Since I can't cross grind it.  Do you have the shop you buy it from cross grind it but don't sharpen?  Have them sharpen? or do you just sharpen it and take a bunch of passes?

You could also keep one wheel around, the shallowest hollow they make, run a few passes on both blades until the factory edge is gone, then move to your preferred hollow 

ideally just have the place you get them from do the cross grind though

Edited by Buzz_LightBeer
  • Like 1

Did Blackstone discontinue the X-02? I don't see it on the site anymore. Was able to buy a lightly used once locally to upgrade from my X01. Just curios if the company is getting away from "consumer" targeted models completely?   

21 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Did Blackstone discontinue the X-02? I don't see it on the site anymore. Was able to buy a lightly used once locally to upgrade from my X01. Just curios if the company is getting away from "consumer" targeted models completely?   

I think the F series replaced the X series. 

https://blackstonesport.com/machines/f-series-portables

I know they d/c the X01 a couple of years ago. I figured they would keep an offering in that class to compete with other "home" sharpeners like wissota, Sparx, pro sharp etc. 

On 10/7/2020 at 9:48 AM, koresh38 said:

After consulting Blackstone can tell you that X02 is still there. It is just not on a new website yet.

Do you know what they cost?

My apologies if this has been addressed previously in the thread. I picked up the used X02 mentioned earlier. Opened it up to clean and check the spinner and wheel and found the most crap I've ever seen packed into that compartment.  So after removing the 2 years of skate dust and cleaning the spinner and remounting the wheel. It looks good. I was able to transfer my PVC exhaust from the X01 to the 02 so it will never look like that again.  The issue I'm having is getting the holder dialed in. The setting looked screwy when I picked it up, and I can't seem to get it close to level. One side is way high. Turing the knob to adjust "up" doesn't correlate with a change in the edge height.  I've got a calibration block coming on Tuesday, but I'm not 100% sure it's the holder. I tried to sharpen using the holder from my X01 which looks identical but has a black and red logo sticker instead of the blue green one from the X02. I had similar results which leads me to think the wheel is somehow off. Can anyone confirm the X01 and X02 Tri Lie holders are the same? If I can rule a holder issue I can try to narrow it down from there. 

20201010_144033.jpg

9 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

My apologies if this has been addressed previously in the thread. I picked up the used X02 mentioned earlier. Opened it up to clean and check the spinner and wheel and found the most crap I've ever seen packed into that compartment.  So after removing the 2 years of skate dust and cleaning the spinner and remounting the wheel. It looks good. I was able to transfer my PVC exhaust from the X01 to the 02 so it will never look like that again.  The issue I'm having is getting the holder dialed in. The setting looked screwy when I picked it up, and I can't seem to get it close to level. One side is way high. Turing the knob to adjust "up" doesn't correlate with a change in the edge height.  I've got a calibration block coming on Tuesday, but I'm not 100% sure it's the holder. I tried to sharpen using the holder from my X01 which looks identical but has a black and red logo sticker instead of the blue green one from the X02. I had similar results which leads me to think the wheel is somehow off. Can anyone confirm the X01 and X02 Tri Lie holders are the same? If I can rule a holder issue I can try to narrow it down from there. 

20201010_144033.jpg

Is the holder squared? Check that first. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jpeaslee said:

That’s exactly why I was asking. Trying to figure out if it’s good price. Hopefully I don’t get in a bidding war with any of you fellas. 

For the slight cost difference I would buy new vs used to have a full warranty. If it was 40% or less I would buy used. 

3 hours ago, Monty22 said:

20201010_144033.jpg

OMG! That is why I keep my lead off (I know, I know - it is dangerous) and vacuum it after every use.

On 10/11/2020 at 7:57 PM, Monty22 said:

20201010_144033.jpg

Interested in this PVC dust collection system.  If you don't mind could you share a picture or two?  I have a X02 and have been thinking of ways to add some sort of dust collection to it.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:48 AM, lpgbackups said:

wow...2022.. im 12 years strong on my Blackstone X02.. still loving it since 2010 😚

Meh young buck, 13 years for me. Still looks and runs like brand new.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 11:57 PM, mnpucker said:

Meh young buck, 13 years for me. Still looks and runs like brand new.

Damn youre the real O.G. here.  You really bought it as soon as it came out.  As you said, the machine still looks, feels and runs like brand new even after a decade of use.  The only difference is that we are more skilled sharpeners now.

On 4/25/2022 at 4:30 PM, lpgbackups said:

Damn youre the real O.G. here.  You really bought it as soon as it came out.  As you said, the machine still looks, feels and runs like brand new even after a decade of use.  The only difference is that we are more skilled sharpeners now.

Yeah I preordered it.  

damn..thats cold...Blackstone increased their free shipping threshold from $150 to $250.....and the regular shipping options are nonsensical , $60 to $120 😒

Edited by lpgbackups

I don't intend to talk something about these but I post these documents on here to expect that it would help someone.
(I made these documents to explain about FBV for my friend; forgive me if somewhere is wrong)

52588284532_94f93e3b45_h.jpg

52589197065_74b657c7ec_b.jpg

52589026339_90c21d4fcf_c.jpg

The last one is an edge comparison picture using real edge angle of all xx/50 spinners but please note that the colors are not matching with the other charts.
Just I've used color gradation to make the illustration be clear.

6 hours ago, Mimizk said:

I don't intend to talk something about these but I post these documents on here to expect that it would help someone.
(I made these documents to explain about FBV for my friend; forgive me if somewhere is wrong)

52588284532_94f93e3b45_h.jpg

52589197065_74b657c7ec_b.jpg

52589026339_90c21d4fcf_c.jpg

The last one is an edge comparison picture using real edge angle of all xx/50 spinners but please note that the colors are not matching with the other charts.
Just I've used color gradation to make the illustration be clear.

Very nice. Well done!

anyone want to trade mini spinners? im looking for a 100/50 or something closer to 1/2" , I have a 90/1 used once kid didnt like it also a 90/75 never been used brand new...im open to others as well