Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Different number system. I think the bite angles he has are eq to 3/8 and 5/8

jesus, i'd be afraid of breaking my ankles with a 3/8's bite, i guess 5/8ths is the way to go.

He does use the flat bottom v. I just was talking with him this morning (in Buffalo) He would more than likely sharpen them for you.

The FBV are just a different spinner. It works with the spinner system.

Well thats news to me. I work for J.Mac's and had no idea. I take it we won't have it at my store since we use a blademaster.

I'll see if I can get bert to do my skates. Does he actually use the FBV system or is he just using the regular spinners? Or are the regular spinners part of the FBV system? does that make any sense?

What an 8 year old player may say is that it is "more slippery", it is hard for someone that young to feel the difference. I know I too have an 8 year old. it is impresive that he could feel the bite.
Tried 75/100 FBV on my son's skates...didn't notice much of a difference besides the sharper edges.

For my son, hardly a "wow" experience. Maybe it makes a bigger difference for heavier players. Might try it myself to see if I can feel a difference.

The st. Louis Blues are using it. To bad they are not open to the public the equipment manager is a really good sharpener. Johnny Macs may be getting it in at some point.

for someone like me who is always tinkering with my hollow, this honestly sounds like the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I really hope we get it in st. louis soon, or i'm going to start sending my steel out for sharpenings.

The Jock shop in Salmon Arm ask for kevin. I think he is a member of Mod Squad known as Canoebear.

Anywhere stores around Vancouver, BC that a person could try out the FBV?

Larry's may have it comming but they don't have it know. We are working on a situation with them for the up coming Olympic games.

Check out Larry's Sports. I know they have a blackstone sharpener not sure about Cyclone Taylor or Hockey Shop.

Try to get the 90/75 you would feel great on it.

Different number system. I think the bite angles he has are eq to 3/8 and 5/8

jesus, i'd be afraid of breaking my ankles with a 3/8's bite, i guess 5/8ths is the way to go.

SAK,

Would it be possible to post a list rough equvilencies or FBV hollows that you would suggest when coming from a traditional hollow.

For example:

I currently skate on 3/4, with a 9' radius, and fwd pitch. What would I use?

SAK,

Would it be possible to post a list rough equvilencies or FBV hollows that you would suggest when coming from a traditional hollow.

For example:

I currently skate on 3/4, with a 9' radius, and fwd pitch. What would I use?

I don't think radius and pitch enter into this discussion. Please correct if I'm wrong. So just a table of 3/4 ROH means a starting point of 95/100, 3/8 ROH = 50/100 etc would do.

while we're creating work for the Blackstone guys, how about a list of sharpeners by metro area that offer the new technique?

Edited by Neal

Pitch and radius probably don't contribute to the equation. That being said, there was post way back in this thread where someone talked about SAK suggesting that he also move the balance point back, when he changed.

That might have been due to another problem, don't know

UPDATE:

Okay, my son has now been on the FBV 75/100 for 3 team practices, 2 power skates, and a game.

I need to take back all of my comments posted above (where I said that there wasn't much of a difference).

It took a few times out on the ice for him to fully adjust, but then, I would have to say that there is indeed a significant improvement in glide and overall speed. I think that the sharper edges were grabbing a little bit during crossovers etc, and as a result he was checking his speed.

Now, he is beating teammates in skating drills and races who were equally matched prior to the FBV. Anyhow, I would say give it a try, but stick with it for a while if you don't immediately jump for joy.

Congrats to the Blackstone gang, you have a winner! :P :P :P

Edited by Jordan
  • Like 1

I'm glad it is working out for you guys we are having as much fun as you. It is great to see new players to NHL guys "lit up" over a simple skate sharpening procedure. The University that is doing the study is also quite impressed with the results that it is producing. I am exceted to get some of the results back so that I can share them and make it so that it is in simple terms so we can all understand what is going on with the fbv, other than it works great. I know I get a kick out of watching my kids do things that I have not seen them do before, yesterday one of the parents said that they have never seen my son skate so fast. I just smiled and said thank you but inside I was thinking "if you only new!"

SAK are the FBV spinners available for online purchase yet. The local shop has a blackstone sharpener and is running a 1/2" spinner but when I asked them about the FBV technology they just stared at me. If the spinner is in my price range I might just get one myself and take it to the shop to set aside for my skates and my sons'. And maybe that will beat their anxiety over the unknown.

If I were to do something like that would the tech just sharpen as he normally does or am I just asking for problems.

Edited by ID Rollerpop

Yes but they are expensive. if you can tell me what the shop is I can give them a call and tell them about it. If you want to email me go for it.

I'm glad it is working out for you guys we are having as much fun as you. It is great to see new players to NHL guys "lit up" over a simple skate sharpening procedure. The University that is doing the study is also quite impressed with the results that it is producing. I am exceted to get some of the results back so that I can share them and make it so that it is in simple terms so we can all understand what is going on with the fbv, other than it works great. I know I get a kick out of watching my kids do things that I have not seen them do before, yesterday one of the parents said that they have never seen my son skate so fast. I just smiled and said thank you but inside I was thinking "if you only new!"

Neat: http://www.epinions.com/msg/sec_~forums/sh...316/pp_~4#posts

Look at the last post there

Edited by Ivan

Neat: http://www.epinions.com/msg/sec_~forums/sh...316/pp_~4#posts

Look at the last post there

That was my post!@.....

Again, I'm not a sharpener...so if this is a dumb question...I apologize.

Once you've had your skates sharpened with FBV...can you just go back to your regular sharpener, or is the steel altered? I assume all the difference/benefit that you are describing is lost once you go back to a "normal" sharpen.

Once you've had your skates sharpened with FBV...can you just go back to your regular sharpener, or is the steel altered? I assume all the difference/benefit that you are describing is lost once you go back to a "normal" sharpen.

You can go back and forth but I really cant see why you would after trying it!

Any chance of it coming to the Hamilton store? I don't see many extended roadtrips for skate sharpenings...mind you, gas is cheaper these days...Hmmm!

I know this might sound stupid cause it's only rec league hockey but in my

first 5 games this year I had 1 goal. Since I discovered the FVB in 2 games

I have 4. All the guys on my team love it as well, only been 2 games

but we did win them both. Almost afraid to do the opponents skates

with the FVB. LOL

Any chance of it coming to the Hamilton store? I don't see many extended roadtrips for skate sharpenings...mind you, gas is cheaper these days...Hmmm!

Come on there Radio.....Oakville is what like 25 min away going down the mountain the new way???LOL

Besides Hamilton doesnt have that machine yet. Although it will be the next store to get one!

Come on there Radio.....Oakville is what like 25 min away going down the mountain the new way???LOL

Besides Hamilton doesnt have that machine yet. Although it will be the next store to get one!

I s'pose O'ville isn't too out of the question...but I'll have to plan better....I usually wait until the day before I need them and go on my lunch (right acorss the streeet an all).