Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Sorry to hear JR.

On a brighter note, MD/DC/VA MSHers. FBV has arrived at Ashburn Ice house. They got all 5(?) wheels. I don't know what Tim is charging but I'm sure its not much more than a standard sharpening.

I was on the ice again with a regular 1/2" sharpening again for the first time in a month and a half or so, honestly I noticed almost no difference between it and a 100/75 cut; then again the ice sheet I was on was shit poor and might have something to do with it.

Sorry to hear JR.

On a brighter note, MD/DC/VA MSHers. FBV has arrived at Ashburn Ice house. They got all 5(?) wheels. I don't know what Tim is charging but I'm sure its not much more than a standard sharpening.

Damn, I hate not having a car. I guess I'm going to have to check it out the next time I borrow my roommate's car. Have you or geoff tried it out yet?

I was on the ice again with a regular 1/2" sharpening again for the first time in a month and a half or so, honestly I noticed almost no difference between it and a 100/75 cut; then again the ice sheet I was on was shit poor and might have something to do with it.

hence another reason for not choosing 100/75 - too deep, not enough glide

I had similar experience & others commented as well that 100/75 just doesn't provide that cool endless glide that other FBV cuts do

THat is very strange. And I didn't even stay at the "equivalent" bite angle, I actually went shallower.

Sorry to hear JR.

Damn, I hate not having a car. I guess I'm going to have to check it out the next time I borrow my roommate's car. Have you or geoff tried it out yet?

I ordered a set of step steel from Bob @ noicing. 8'/12' combo and medium aggressive pitch at 90/75 FBV. I could definitely tell a difference with the glide, but I was skating 1/2" before.. felt like a bit less bite. Anyways, I love it and actually think I'm gonna stick with the 90/75 as I'm quite used to it now. I'm glad I got a local shop now with FBV (sorry Bob).

Geoff is a bum.... but he's still gonna burn and dangle me regardless of the sharpening hes on.

THat is very strange. And I didn't even stay at the "equivalent" bite angle, I actually went shallower.

*shrug* dunno then. I've sharpened my own all season between 1/2" and 9/16", tried 90/75 and felt slippery, tried 100/75 and I lost all the extra glide. After that sharpening went dull I was back on 1/2" and didn't really feel difference. Like I said though the ice quality is a travesty though so I'm really thinking that had something to do with it.

I had a US customer in today telling me that he knew the guys at BU and they just started using it and did so for the Frozen Four Championship.

Then double checked with Steve......and thats a big 10-4!

Love to know what the guys were all using!

I thought I had little final pass polishing probs on a Turbo Spinner with the Ruby wheel. I was wrong. Different lighting made it look that way. Tried the Ruby grinding wheel on 90/75 sharpening for the first time. The edges and glide were perefect. My stops too. I'm pretty much sure the FBV is here to stay.

I have skated a few times more on my 90/75 and I am liking it. I wish I could do a real "head-to-head" comparison with timing equipment to see if I am actually getting more glide or if it's just mental. On a subjective level it does seem superior to me so far.

I have skated a few times more on my 90/75 and I am liking it. I wish I could do a real "head-to-head" comparison with timing equipment to see if I am actually getting more glide or if it's just mental. On a subjective level it does seem superior to me so far.

One of my customers, a Ivy League professor, did timing tests. He had been doing these same tests for long time with his old setup. His results with FBV and some other changes, were remarkable. He said he was never able to achieve the times he got. He even said he was now within split seconds of what NHL'rs were achieving.

So I had to go to a conventional sharpening last night - been having some holder isues with my X02 (which Blackstone is taking care of, always A+ for service) and so I got off the ice and went into the shop and sharpened it to my old 3/4" ROH.

It seriously felt like I was skating in mud.

Feet felt glued to the ice, legs were straining.

Then got a concussion. Yay.

JR, what kind of holder issues are you having with the X02?

Thanks.

Question: how much do you think this sharpening would benefit a beginner player? I've only been playing a few months and I'm still not a great skater - solid going forwards and stopping, not so great going backwards or with fast changes of direction. Would it not do much because I'm not a good enough skater to really use my edges well, or would the extra speed give me some benefit?

Going faster with less work is going to benefit everyone. Of course if you're stride mechanics are way off you probably wont get as much out of it but I don't see why it would be bad for you to try it. Unless a FBV sharpen is vastly inconvenient for you to get/maintain (drive an extra 20 minutes/mail the blades out) I'd give it a try :)

Question: how much do you think this sharpening would benefit a beginner player? I've only been playing a few months and I'm still not a great skater - solid going forwards and stopping, not so great going backwards or with fast changes of direction. Would it not do much because I'm not a good enough skater to really use my edges well, or would the extra speed give me some benefit?

As a beginner the same applies to the FBV's as does regular hollows, too much bite is not good. So start with a FBV like 80/50 or 90/50. My daughter's boyfriend just started skating and this worked well for him. At the beginner level, speed is not so important as is control, but the FBV can help in fatigue as most beginners just don't have their "wind" yet.