Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

And reports to me while making a beer run. Atta girl!

Standalone dressing system in which there is a tiny diamond-coated wheel which dresses the wheel with a flat radius. Exactly the way I thought it could be done, and it will infringe on Blackstone's patent.

But what does this mean for their new system? Will it exists for a brief period before blackstone shuts them down?

THat is my thought on it, the way I understood the patent on the Spinner, that it will infringe. No idea what will happen from here on out.

They say on the Blackstone FBV web site that it is patent pending, both the FBV and the Spinner dressing system. Who owns the patent?

Patent Pending does not mean a patent has been granted, 'Pending' means that a patent has been applied for. There are lawyers who specialize in Patent law, engineers who work mainly as 'experts' justifying either sides position when infringement arguments go to court-its an industry onto itself. From an ousiders perspective this will come into play:

Novelty And Non-Obviousness, Conditions For Obtaining A Patent

In order for an invention to be patentable it must be new as defined in the patent law, which provides that an invention cannot be patented if: “(a) the invention was known or used by others in this country, or patented or described in a printed publication in this or a foreign country, before the invention thereof by the applicant for patent,” or “(B) the invention was patented or described in a printed publication in this or a foreign country or in public use or on sale in this country more than one year prior to the application for patent in the United States . . .”

in this country more than one year prior to the application for patent in the United States . . .”

I believe this sentence the key one because given the way that paragraph reads it seems as if it applies to both options A and B. My guess is the patent was applied for long before anything about FBV specifics was said/posted/printed. Even if someone had loose lips, they still had a year after that to apply for the patent.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer but have had some significant experience with contract law and understanding the legal importance of how sentences are written.

Edited by shooter27

in this country more than one year prior to the application for patent in the United States . . .”

I believe this sentence the key one because given the way that paragraph reads it seems as if it applies to both options A and B. My guess is the patent was applied for long before anything about FBV specifics was said/posted/printed. Even if someone had loose lips, they still had a year after that to apply for the patent.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer but have had some significant experience with contract law and understanding the legal importance of how sentences are written.

You may be right, we'll see how it plays out. My guess is still the bold print will be the argument-is this a new 'invention'.

Heard today that Blackstone is going to have a NEW TRI-LIE holder for the X02. They will be selling a holder similar to the TRI-LIE but set for the height of the X02 machine. This should give a more refined finish to the edge on the final pass.

Heard today that Blackstone is going to have a NEW TRI-LIE holder for the X02. They will be selling a holder similar to the TRI-LIE but set for the height of the X02 machine. This should give a more refined finish to the edge on the final pass.

So what would this mean for those of us who bought the XO2 already?

The machine will be sold with the current holder, however there will be an upgrade available. Unfortunately we can't sell the machine for that price with the tri-lie. :huh: However it is a great holder and for those that can upgrade to it its a nice option. On another note we had a great time at the World's in Switzerland it was fun to see the FBV going around the different nations. We should have some more fun tomorrow, as we will be providing the sharpening at www.niagarapro.ca. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the players that I watched while I was growing up.

Steve

Was pleased to discover today that basically ALL Blackstone machines are available with the pure SPINNER option. That also means FBV, of course.

For those who are looking for other portable options with either regular Spinner or FBV, all these ones now available with the Spinner head as an option:

http://www.blackstonesport.com/portable_sk...ng_machines.php

The advantage - (except for the Classic one (FC-01 & FC-02), I believe) - you can do skate profiling (contouring/shaping) on them. Another advantage - on ALL these portables bigger diameter grinding wheels are used (translates into more skates sharpened per grinding wheel).

Edited by Ivan

I recently purchased a V02, and I'm having tons of trouble trying to dial in the holder. It seems like it's extremely sensitive, and that I'm constantly making adjustments. Any suggestions on how to get the thing level and to allow me to cut down on adjustment time between skates? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I recently purchased a V02, and I'm having tons of trouble trying to dial in the holder. It seems like it's extremely sensitive, and that I'm constantly making adjustments. Any suggestions on how to get the thing level and to allow me to cut down on adjustment time between skates? Any help is greatly appreciated!

A little experience will help you learn when you need to spin the dial half way around or just a couple clicks. As a note, you rarely need to spin it very far.

Budro,

There were a few posts earlier about this. Experience is a big help. Make sure that you are consistent each time with the holder, hand pressure, clamping position, etc, and make sure that there is nothing dirt, etc on the bottom of the felt on the holder. It is best to get the holder "dialed in" by using the two front dials. My experience using a square edge tool is that the front dials can be clicked 6 times to make up a one thousanths of an inch change in height of the edges. good luck. It gets much easier with more experience.

Jim -

That's exactly what I have discovered as well. I primarily sharpen Mission holders (PITCH3 on my ONE95s) and Bauer skates for my friends, and switching back and forth between the two brands. It is taking about 6 clicks between them to compensate.

Budro,

There were a few posts earlier about this. Experience is a big help. Make sure that you are consistent each time with the holder, hand pressure, clamping position, etc, and make sure that there is nothing dirt, etc on the bottom of the felt on the holder. It is best to get the holder "dialed in" by using the two front dials. My experience using a square edge tool is that the front dials can be clicked 6 times to make up a one thousanths of an inch change in height of the edges. good luck. It gets much easier with more experience.

Thank you! So that being said, is it correct that the two outside dials should have to be minimally adjusted from pair to pair? Also, how often do you adjust your center dial? Sorry if this seems redundant, but your help is GREATLY appreciated!

Budro,

Thank you! So that being said, is it correct that the two outside dials should have to be minimally adjusted from pair to pair? Also, how often do you adjust your center dial? Sorry if this seems redundant, but your help is GREATLY appreciated!

Been mentioned before: don't play with the forward/back pitch dial, no real need to. Just leave it neutral. All seem to be getting better results that way.

Not too impressed with how the X01 came from the factory.

The pitch was WAY off, the blade was visibly pointing upwards just to contact the wheel. Don't they check this for each machine before it leaves Blackstone? had to turn pitch like 20 turns just to get the skate level to the wheel.

The spinner was installed upside down with the c-clip up. Spring clip way too tight so the spinner wouldn't spin. One of the Steve's at Blackstone was very helpful in troubleshooting.

I'm still undecided on how good the X01 is. Tabletop is not too slick.

Didn't have this much trouble getting a Wissota working out of the box.

Not too impressed with how the X01 came from the factory.

The pitch was WAY off, the blade was visibly pointing upwards just to contact the wheel. Don't they check this for each machine before it leaves Blackstone? had to turn pitch like 20 turns just to get the skate level to the wheel.

The spinner was installed upside down with the c-clip up. Spring clip way too tight so the spinner wouldn't spin. One of the Steve's at Blackstone was very helpful in troubleshooting.

I'm still undecided on how good the X01 is. Tabletop is not too slick.

Didn't have this much trouble getting a Wissota working out of the box.

Blackstone has nothing made in there own factory. Everything is outsourced. They have no quality control manager.

I'm not surprised by this at all. They are helpful in troubleshooting when you call, but they don't seem to care that the quality of the various parts of the machine and holder is poor. Most of the quality issues are very easy to control, and wouldn't cost much to correct, if anything. I don't think the holders are checked on a machine before they are sent out. I basically had to rebuild mine, including surface grinding the anvil posts to make them even heights with each other.

Squashguy, have you noticed any wheel hop on your X01? A good way to see it is after you shut the machine off, watch the wheel slow down and come to a stop. The slower the wheel is spinning, the easier it is to notice the wheel hop. Mine was out of round and the center hole of the arbor was drilled at an angle so the wheel would hop up and down and in and out causing a wicked vibration. Just curious if anyone else had this problem.

Can anyone help with where to find FBV sharpening around St. Louis? Going to be there for a tournament next weekend. Thanks

TotalHockey in Downer's Grove, IL has FBV so I would assume their Missouri stores may have it as well but I'd check to see if they're close to where you'll be and call to make sure.

Edited by t1tan