Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

probably DAVES Sports Shop. They have 3 locations I know for sure the Fridley and Blaine locations have FBV. Lettermens in Blaine is expecting their soon. Of course there is always my basement :P but I am a bit further away than Dave's....Playing in a tourney? Caribou Cup perhaps?

Yes the Caribou Cup it is. Kids first time playing in Minnesota so making a trip of it. Golfing at Glencoe then putting the blades on for hockey. Thx for the info will look up Daves

A shop near me just got the the BS setup, and I'm thinking about getting my goal skates done..what combo should I get for a 3/4 feel?

No, a shop in Traverse City. Plus PIAS has it up there too. Hehateme said he was in talks with SAK about it, but hasn't yet when I was down there., and Thanks :)

Edited by wex12

Totally worth it. Lasts longer and performs better. I'm upset I don't have time to get it done for my game tonight, and will have to use a shitty ROH sharpening.

What I think is funny though is that no one really knows about it in Vancouver. I ask every hockey shop I go to and most either haven't heard of it, or claim it's un proven yet and not worth the investment. I think they need to get on MSH

I was at The Hockey Shop yesterday and saw a couple of signs hanging from their ceiling about FBV. I didn't read the sign or ask them about it though so not sure if it said it's coming, already have it or what. It was more of just a glance and I recognized it. Way too busy there yesterday to really look around, you pretty much had to know what you want and get it, too busy to look around and shop. Hopefully they do have it, I want to give it a try.

The Hockey Shop does have them, I was getting new skates so i was reading up on the info they had. It was hard to tell because I was in new skates but i loved how everything felt, im not sure if it was from FBV's or not but i was very please with the skates and the sharpening. They started me off with 100/50.

I was in Cyclone the other day but forgot to ask, ill probably phone them to see if they have it because they are closer.

How many dressings are you getting out of a FBV spinner? I'm getting a Mag-50 to use with a BM portable, and am curious how often I'll be replacing the spinner.

Right now I'm on my fourth wheel with the same 90/75 FBV spinner. So far so good

Totally worth it. Lasts longer and performs better. I'm upset I don't have time to get it done for my game tonight, and will have to use a shitty ROH sharpening.

What I think is funny though is that no one really knows about it in Vancouver. I ask every hockey shop I go to and most either haven't heard of it, or claim it's un proven yet and not worth the investment. I think they need to get on MSH

I was at The Hockey Shop yesterday and saw a couple of signs hanging from their ceiling about FBV. I didn't read the sign or ask them about it though so not sure if it said it's coming, already have it or what. It was more of just a glance and I recognized it. Way too busy there yesterday to really look around, you pretty much had to know what you want and get it, too busy to look around and shop. Hopefully they do have it, I want to give it a try.

The Hockey Shop does have them, I was getting new skates so i was reading up on the info they had. It was hard to tell because I was in new skates but i loved how everything felt, im not sure if it was from FBV's or not but i was very please with the skates and the sharpening. They started me off with 100/50.

I was in Cyclone the other day but forgot to ask, ill probably phone them to see if they have it because they are closer.

they dont have it. closest is surrey, since i dont trust anyone at any sportchek. http://www.blackstonesport.com/fbv_where.cfm#BritishColumbia

Edited by shotty

It looks like I will be purchasing an X-01 with the 100/75 FBV spinner in the next few weeks--there are very few good sharpeners in the Lower Mainland, and they are located too far from me. With the time and money saved on gas, this investment will pay itself back in less than a year.

Yep, been seing it on the NHL network the last week or two.

I don't think I've even turned on NHLnet since the end of the season

$1500 shy of my X-02! lol. Sucks though, cause my 14 yr old brother just told me today he can't skate on anything else. Meaning more trips to the hockey shop just for fbv! (it isn't close, and with traffic can be a 2+ hour trip)

Just tried out the 100/75 FBV today, with a 20/32' combo radius with medium forward lean (goalie). It does feel a lot like 3/8" ROH, but it isn't enough bite for me as I'm used to a 5/16" radius. It holds its edge pretty well, but may be more dependent on the brand of steel used. Has anyone heard if Blackstone is coming out with a spinner with more bite?

Just tried out the 100/75 FBV today, with a 20/32' combo radius with medium forward lean (goalie). It does feel a lot like 3/8" ROH, but it isn't enough bite for me as I'm used to a 5/16" radius. It holds its edge pretty well, but may be more dependent on the brand of steel used. Has anyone heard if Blackstone is coming out with a spinner with more bite?

Give it more time. The FBV requires some adjustment. The chances are you won't need more edge than 100/75

Thanks to Chadd at the MSH skate, I've been able to give FBV a try. I've been on FBV sharpening for about 10hrs of ice time now, and I can't believe how amazing it is. I don't know about the claims of it improving your top speed, but the improved glide is night and day from ROH. My only complaint is that when your going straight or turning slightly, it feels like you have no edges. It just took sometime for me to trust that my edges were eventually going to catch once I was committed to stopping and turning. Too bad I have to go back to ROH (unless anyone can point me to a rink with FBV in the area) for a few months while I save up for a X01.

I wouldn't be averse to a monthly trip to MD until a shop picks up a spinner but I can't get all the way down to your new locale.

wow chadd thats extremely generous!

im in the northern virginia/maryland area as well and that would be incredible to try out the FBV.

i definitley wouldnt be opposed to making a trip out to harrisburg every so often also...i would totally understand if you wouldnt want to make the trip to maryland/northern virginia for some random MSH member that youve never met :)

im sure you can understand what its like living in a non-hockey area like virginia. the FBV just sounds like something i need to try out.

let me know if it would be ok if i could come up and get my skates done.

Hey I'm skating on FBV, or have been. I'm in southern MD I mentioned the idea to the local shop here, and they've never heard of it and basically argued that doesn't exist so I've been sending my up the road to no icing sports to get sharpened. I'd love to figure out a way to get the system down here.

Im going to try FBV. I play on this guys 40+ team....he has cash (owns some type of luxury yacht company)....he pays the whole team fee for two teams. He bought a blackstone sharpener with FBV and keeps it at his office, and sharpens skates for any teammate that wants it. Most of the guys on the team have the FBV and they say, after you get used to it, is great. They said it seems like you have no edge at first...just gliding...then as soon as you need and edge, there it is.

It isn't even that far, just under 20k. Traffic is just a gamble and can be downright atrocious.

Not to mention it is impossible to make a left turn in VC. No turn lanes, no turn arrows. You can literally spend 1/2 hr at one traffic light.

Yea, I wish they would as well. Most haven't figured out that goalies like extreme bite. I use the 100/75 and it's perfect for me but I was skating on 15/32. Those on 5/16 and 1/4 will have to wait till something just for "goalies" is created.

It isn't even that far, just under 20k. Traffic is just a gamble and can be downright atrocious.

Not to mention it is impossible to make a left turn in VC. No turn lanes, no turn arrows. You can literally spend 1/2 hr at one traffic light.

furlanitalia lives in the beautiful suburb in the lower mainland. he has issues when driving to surrey because the two options he has to get to the hockey shop (over bridge) are log jammed almost constantly. the highway bottle necks from four lanes into two over the bridge on one option and the other requires driving through almost four suburbs with very minimal highway driving.

commuting in downtown vancouver and the immediate surrounding areas isn't actually that bad.

kevin tung: i'd be interested in having you sharpen my skates on your shiny new blackstone machine, if you'd be so inclined to make yourself available for a little side business.

Edited by shotty