Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

ziiiiiiiiiing!

im pretty sure from what i remember that triangles are supposed to be the strongest shapes as well - i think most people are just opposed to change and dont want to believe it is better. hey i even managed to not quote the pictures.

When every one of his posts is a attempt to rip one particular product, his motivation becomes obvious. He either works for a competitor or still owes a hell of a lot on his big red machine. :rolleyes:

For those who have X01/X02s, I just got a vacuum for mine. Measuring the diameters of the hose, the hose is a 1" and the X02's pipe is 3/4". Were you guys able to find a reducer that fits?

I can't seem to find any that work.

I just got a .5" coupler thinking that it would fit over the X02 pipe and into the 1" hose. Not working. I'm sanding down the inside trying to slide it into the x02 pipe.

Guy's,

when you cut a blade edge on an angle it's weak! The edge won't hold up! You would never support a bridge with an angle support. You would support it with an arch. It's PHYSICS. NOT MAKE BELIEVE..

Please go out and look at the design and construction of any modern bridge. The general shape (i.e. arch or suspension) is based upon it's design, look, qualities (how cheaply it needs to be be) etc. But one unavoidable commonality is triangulation. Why? Because it's incredibly strong and stable.

Triangulation offers support at any angle, while an arch typically works best in a specific loading point.

A round (traditional) hollow is designed to support the weight of the skater, but on a much larger scale (forces no skater could but on the steel anyway) it would bend or roll as us hockey people call it. But, those failure forces are so extreme, that either a FBV or ROH will be perfectly suited for any skater, no matter how hard they are on their edges. Of course you can roll both a hollow or FBV, as quality of steel, sharpen, wear, etc all are taken into account, and all ice/conditions are perfectly the same. Point being: coming from a completely physics and forces standpoint, and the degree of which a skater puts on his steel, there aren't any real advantages with both designs, they both are perfectly suited for the job.

And oh, the strongest 3D geometric shape is the sphere :D.

Edited by NYRSinceBirth

I have a (mini)spinner question... I just dressed my wheel for the first time with the cover off. I noticed that the spinner doesn't SPIN very much. Each slight bump that I do turns the spinner maybe an eighth of a revolution. I was expecting to see that thing flying around as it touches the wheel. Is this the correct behavior? I don't have it screwed down super tight but I don't want to loosen it more than it is for fear of variability of the spinner height as it moves up or down. I realize that there needs to be some resistance in the spinner for it to properly dress the wheel, but I don't want to end up with "flat spots" on my spinner making it junk prematurely.

As for the shop vac hose thing... I don't know if it would work for you but I have a "Rigid" brand shop vac and I had previously purchased the "Rigid" Auto Detailing Kit from Home Depot. The kit included a more flexible smaller diameter hose which fits onto the larger hose of my shop vac. The small diameter hose has a plastic fitting on the end of it that you can push into the port of the X-01. The resulting friction fit isn't super tight but it is nothing that a little tape wrapped around it wouldn't fix. The kit wasn't cheap (around $30, I think) but it comes with some attachments that I use on my car anyway.

The spinner isn't supposed to spin much, since there's no motor underneath the spinner to give it any motion other than the force given by the grinding wheel. I recommend tightening the spinner screw to reduce vibration, which can cause irregular dressings. Unscrew the spinner screw and rotate the spinner every so often to make sure you use all sides of the spinner.

There's a little bent washer that creates the pressure on the spinner. If you call Blackstone they'll say to try and jam something in there to try and flatten the washer so it creates less pressure. Not such a great design to have a spinner that doesn't spin, or that has to be turned by hand so it doesn't eat through one spot on the spinner.

Before FBV, I was skating on 9/16. I read here that in general, 90/75 is similar to a 5/8 ROH and 100/50 is similar to a 1/2 ROH, which would put 9/16 between the two. I've been skating on a 90/75 FBV, which I like pretty well but might want a little more grip so am considering trying out 100/50 (and will likely do so next sharpening). But it got me thinking - I realize it is ultimately personal preference, but in general do people have a sense for where in between hollows such a 9/16 or 7/16 fit into the FBV world? Do people generally find that they need to go up to a less shallow "equivalent" hollow, or down to a "deeper" one? Are people on 9/16 generally more likely to like 90/75, or 100/50, or something else? Thanks.

Before FBV, I was skating on 9/16. I read here that in general, 90/75 is similar to a 5/8 ROH and 100/50 is similar to a 1/2 ROH, which would put 9/16 between the two. I've been skating on a 90/75 FBV, which I like pretty well but might want a little more grip so am considering trying out 100/50 (and will likely do so next sharpening). But it got me thinking - I realize it is ultimately personal preference, but in general do people have a sense for where in between hollows such a 9/16 or 7/16 fit into the FBV world? Do people generally find that they need to go up to a less shallow "equivalent" hollow, or down to a "deeper" one? Are people on 9/16 generally more likely to like 90/75, or 100/50, or something else? Thanks.

[/quote

I was on 9/16...tried 100/75=too sharp. Then 90/75, not sharp enough...100/50=Bingo!

tried out Blademaster's Flat Bottom the other day, more grip than FBV but not as much glide.

I just read the Blademaster pdf on their web site called "The truth about FBV". It's pretty interesting for sure. I wonder if Blackstone will go after them regarding patent issues. According to BM the flat bottom V has already been patented, so they are not infringing at all.

I think the winner of this has to be the skater. We now have 2 choices of flat bottom contours, plus the standard ROH. If you can't find a profile that you like, just wait, I'm sure somebody else will be releasing yet another new profile.

Once again - the FBV isn't the patent in question here. It is the method on how it is applied to the wheel, which is what Blackstone patented and the original patent applicant couldn't accomplish.

Went to my LHS that has the FBV, but they have the 'retrofit' device for their Blademaster. As does the PIAS right down the road.

f514d76d.jpg

Sorry for the blurry image.

Edited by wex12

Another topic on Blademasters alternative method

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...;hl=blademaster

Just curious JR does that mean BM is infringing? Because they have a different method of applying their alternative wheels to the stone - I don't see how these 2 companies can invent something and the other isn't going to find an alternative method - dressing the wheel, or even the holders, who had the 3 dial in system first? SH6000 or the Tri-Lie U-12 - True BM invented this holder and now BS offers a cheaper model that has the exact same .001 inch increments - not surprised BM has come out to compete with the BS FBV system and offer it at a lower price -

I just noticed that the small X-series "orange crush" wheel is more expensive than the full size "orange crush" wheel. Has anyone found a lower cost replacement grinding wheel for the Blackstone portables?

I haven't found one yet and ended up buying 5 from BS to get the free shipping. They shouldn't cost more than the larger wheels but until somebody finds out who makes the wheels and where to get them for less we are stuck. I checked with Norton and they didn't have anything that was a stock size, so the cost was more. I was also checking to get something just a little larger, like 4 1/4" so they would last longer, no dice.

BM did not invent that holder. Maximum Edge had it first, and that is why you see the three-dial holder as well as the Quick Square now sold by BM.

Did not know that maybe someone ought to tell BM that - cause they told me that at New England Sports (BM) - they had some guys name attached to the 6000 holder - can't remember the inventor but it was strictly for BM. Not surprised - most of these reps from both companies might have a used cars sales back-round or insurance sales!!!