Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

It was both skates, not just the one. I get my skates done at National Sports - they've always done a great job.

I read a bit through the thread, and think perhaps I'm just on the wrong hollow.

I don't know exactly how to put this; when standing upright, almost on the flat on the blade, or a very steep angle, the blade simply washes out for me on this hollow. I know that you can't expect much grip unless you're getting some pressure on a shallower angle on the blade, but when changing direction/quick bodyweight shifts, I continually catch the blade at an angle where it literally feels like someone put a skateguard on my blade, and the skate slips out laterally from underneath me for a few inches, and then catches again.

This didn't happen much during the summer, but it was starting last few skates, and now bigtime tonight. Perhaps its the enhanced "flat" on the FBV that results in so much glide that's contributing to my instability at these angles; at any rate, I'll experiment a bit, and I appreciate the advice.

Edited by vek

I am on a FBV for the first time and I have felt that "washout" feeling. I feel it on all edges so I'm pretty confident that the issue is not the skates but a mental one for me. My rink usually has very hard ice. I just have to trust my edges more. Once I do that I know the "washout" will be gone.

Edited by flyers10

It was both skates, not just the one. I get my skates done at National Sports - they've always done a great job.

I read a bit through the thread, and think perhaps I'm just on the wrong hollow.

I don't know exactly how to put this; when standing upright, almost on the flat on the blade, or a very steep angle, the blade simply washes out for me on this hollow. I know that you can't expect much grip unless you're getting some pressure on a shallower angle on the blade, but when changing direction/quick bodyweight shifts, I continually catch the blade at an angle where it literally feels like someone put a skateguard on my blade, and the skate slips out laterally from underneath me for a few inches, and then catches again.

This didn't happen much during the summer, but it was starting last few skates, and now bigtime tonight. Perhaps its the enhanced "flat" on the FBV that results in so much glide that's contributing to my instability at these angles; at any rate, I'll experiment a bit, and I appreciate the advice.

The store you went to does have the 100/50 all of them do. As for the washing out sometimes you get that when your profile needs to be adjusted. This was brought up when Cory Stillman first tried it. he had a similar feeling and once the profile was adjusted it was right back to feeling like it did with a reg ROH except with the better glide.

I'm not doubting that the lateral slip is there, we've all experienced it on FBV when the hollow isn't dialed in. But the only reason why I am commenting is because you are saying it is on one skate. Of course, with harder ice, you are going to have to adjust accordingly.

I'm not doubting that the lateral slip is there, we've all experienced it on FBV when the hollow isn't dialed in. But the only reason why I am commenting is because you are saying it is on one skate. Of course, with harder ice, you are going to have to adjust accordingly.

Another possible issue might be a bent blade??? That would cause this as well........sorry didnt see just one skate!

I'm sorry I'm sure this has been asked but roughly what would 3/8 and 7/16 translate to? I'm newer to this, tried to read as much as I could on Blackstone site and this thread.

100/75 fbv = 3/8" roh

100/50 fbv = 1/2" roh

90/75 fbv = 5/8" roh

90/50 fbv = 3/4" roh

i think thats the only choices so far retail wise, i believe pro's can get custom spinners done

Ah alright, thanks for your help

finally got round to trying it, usually skate 1/2" got the 100/50 felt absolutely perfect more glide, more bite, everything you've been hearing so i won't go on lol

didn't get that washout feeling, maybe its because i also went from 9' to 10' profile as i felt i wasn't getting enough contact with the ice on the 9', anyways found my setup for years to come :)

For Arizona, Behind the Mask is supposed to start doing FBV in the near future. They estimate maybe between December - February they will start doing them at their Chandler store.

For Arizona, Behind the Mask is supposed to start doing FBV in the near future. They estimate maybe between December - February they will start doing them at their Chandler store.

rad, need to go in there and say hi to nick and josh pretty soon anyways. thanks

Got an email from Ice Level Sports in Richmond, BC today announcing that they now have the Blademaster Flat Bottom. It's not Blackstone FBV, but it's a lot closer than The Hockey Shop in Surrey. The funny thing is that I asked the Ice Level guys a couple of months ago if they were getting FBV and they trashed it.

"Goalie - the thinking man's position"

If it weren't for the concussions, I'd be able to agree with you. :(

There are times I can't tell my ass from my elbow; so I spend all day, like Rodin's Thinker, sitting on my elbow until I figure it out.

Or the days I fart and git dizzy,.. I get hit in the head every time I play,.. Might be because my head is at crossbar height in the butterfly hehe.

Quick question on the 100/50 - if I'm having stability/slip issues on the flats of the 90/75, the 100/50 would be worse, due to the even shallower hollow, no?

Quick question on the 100/50 - if I'm having stability/slip issues on the flats of the 90/75, the 100/50 would be worse, due to the even shallower hollow, no?

No. Also, you really should be fine on 90/75 unless you're in flyweight category. Give it some time (provided your skates are sharpened properly).

100/50 will have more bite than 90/75.

Got mine re-sharpened at 100/50 after a few weeks at 90/75. I'm excited to try something with a bit more bite...hopefully it doesn't throw my game off too much.

100/50 felt really, really good. A lot more steady. I had moved from 3/8 to 1/2 to 5/8 to 11/16 because I kept catching edges, but with this sharpening I'm not catching edges at all, they're just there when I need them. I'd say the biggest change from regular to FBV is everything is more predictable. Now if I can just translate that to more confidence...

I've been getting my skates done with the standard hollow (which I believe is 1/2") at Zwickers for about the last year. Got my skates done (at No Icing Sports) with a 90/75 based on the positive feedback here. Went to a public skate and my first impressions are positive. Bite is as good if not better than a normal sharpening and I could skate fast and comfortably immediately. It usually takes a skate or two (for the edges to dull enough) for me to feel really comfortable on freshly sharpened runners.

Question for people with X-01/02s out there... It has been said in this forum that having a different wheel for each spinner will help save life of wheels/spinners by not requiring redressing so frequently because the correct shape is already on the wheel and you therefore don't have to remove as much material. I have been doing this however, I notice that more often that not when I switch the wheels and begin sharpening the shaprening is very rough and causes the blade to "bounce" a lot as I do passes. This continues until I do pretty much a full re-dress of the wheel. I suspect that what is happening is that there is a slight pitch to the wheel or perhaps the wheel is pushed to a different side of the hole that fits around the center bolt causing a slight out of round condition that must be removed before getting smooth passes. I was wondering if anyone else experiences this? Do you think that in light of this it would be better to just leave the same wheel on and re-dress so that you don't have the issues with slight variations in wheel position?

Just use the same wheel, you aren't losing that much material when dressing the wheel and unless you're doing a high volume of skates, the wheel is going to last a long time.

Question for people with X-01/02s out there... It has been said in this forum that having a different wheel for each spinner will help save life of wheels/spinners by not requiring redressing so frequently because the correct shape is already on the wheel and you therefore don't have to remove as much material. I have been doing this however, I notice that more often that not when I switch the wheels and begin sharpening the shaprening is very rough and causes the blade to "bounce" a lot as I do passes. This continues until I do pretty much a full re-dress of the wheel. I suspect that what is happening is that there is a slight pitch to the wheel or perhaps the wheel is pushed to a different side of the hole that fits around the center bolt causing a slight out of round condition that must be removed before getting smooth passes. I was wondering if anyone else experiences this? Do you think that in light of this it would be better to just leave the same wheel on and re-dress so that you don't have the issues with slight variations in wheel position?

AfftonDad, the problem you are seeing is with the wheel arbor. I had the same problem and took the arbor off of the machine to take some measurements. The part of the arbor that the wheel sits on is out of round, in my case by about .012", causing a wobbling effect that can only be taken out by re-dressing the wheel. I ended up turning that part of the arbor down in a lathe and making a shim to take up the material I removed. That being said, I don't switch wheels for each spinner, like Chadd said, it shouldn't remove that much material.

My skates are due for a sharpening (I just learned how to skate about 4-5 months ago) and I was wondering if the Flat Bottom V would be beneficial to a beginner? I was not sure if the FBV was more for advanced skaters and not designed for beginners? Thanks in advance for the help!

Anyone know of anyone doing this type of sharpening in the Pittsburgh or Western PA area?

two shops in PA.

http://www.blackstonesport.com/fbv_where.cfm#Pennsylvania

SouthPaw, the feel is different, so i suppose if you're just figuring out the game, you might as well give it a try now before you get used to ROH. its not necessarily meant for "experts" but, just like anything else, the better you are at the activity, the more likely you are to notice an impact. and use it to improve your game.

Edited by shotty