Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

and thats the most up to date, AFAYK?

They just got the new machine in Harrisburg a month or two ago, so it is a fairly recent list. I will probably be in Pittsburgh the weekend before thanksgiving if anyone out there wants to try it. I only have a couple spinners at the moment though.

I'm new to all this sharpening, used to just know about ROH. But I'm interested in maybe picking up a X-01 machine. So the spinner just shapes the grinding wheel to the right ROH or FBV setting? And that process is dressing? Is it hard to learn how to sharpen?

Edited by freestyla

Anyone know of anyone doing this type of sharpening in the Pittsburgh or Western PA area?

two shops in PA.

http://www.blackstonesport.com/fbv_where.cfm#Pennsylvania

SouthPaw, the feel is different, so i suppose if you're just figuring out the game, you might as well give it a try now before you get used to ROH. its not necessarily meant for "experts" but, just like anything else, the better you are at the activity, the more likely you are to notice an impact. and use it to improve your game.

Shotty,

Thanks for the info and advice regarding the FBV! Since I'm using a 1/2" cut right now, I'm deciding on going with the 100/50. There is a shop in my area that is authorized to do the work and I've heard a lot of good things about the shop.

Aloha,

SouthpawTRK

So the spinner just shapes the grinding wheel to the right ROH or FBV setting? And that process is dressing? Is it hard to learn how to sharpen?

Yes and it isn't difficult as long as you honestly care about putting a good edge on the skates and have some level of manual dexterity.

My skates are due for a sharpening (I just learned how to skate about 4-5 months ago) and I was wondering if the Flat Bottom V would be beneficial to a beginner? I was not sure if the FBV was more for advanced skaters and not designed for beginners? Thanks in advance for the help!

If I were you, I would just stick with standard sharpenings for now. You really won't get to utilize the benefits of FBV until you are very comfortable on skates.

So the spinner just shapes the grinding wheel to the right ROH or FBV setting? And that process is dressing? Is it hard to learn how to sharpen?

Yes and it isn't difficult as long as you honestly care about putting a good edge on the skates and have some level of manual dexterity.

Thanks Chadd. Hope to have my own sharpener by the end of the year.

Just skated on FBV for the first time today and must say I am quite impressed. I honestly didn't think you would be able to notice much of a difference. It was great. Only trouble I had was I got the wrong cut. My edges were not as sharp as I usually like them.

They just got the new machine in Harrisburg a month or two ago, so it is a fairly recent list. I will probably be in Pittsburgh the weekend before thanksgiving if anyone out there wants to try it. I only have a couple spinners at the moment though.

Are you going to a local shop in the burgh or how would this work?

Are you going to a local shop in the burgh or how would this work?

If I were to do it, I would have to find somewhere to set up. I don't have any shop contacts out there.

Shotty,

Thanks for the info and advice regarding the FBV! Since I'm using a 1/2" cut right now, I'm deciding on going with the 100/50.

good choice. i skate on 1/2" ROH and the tech suggested 90/75, i didnt like it, ended up with 100/50. hope you like it as much as i do.

Shotty,

Thanks for the info and advice regarding the FBV! Since I'm using a 1/2" cut right now, I'm deciding on going with the 100/50.

good choice. i skate on 1/2" ROH and the tech suggested 90/75, i didnt like it, ended up with 100/50. hope you like it as much as i do.

I'm debating between 100/75 and 100/50 since I normally use 7/16". Leaning towards 100/50 though.

Edited by freestyla

Shotty,

I'm debating between 100/75 and 100/50 since I normally use 7/16". Leaning towards 100/50 though.

i use to skate 7-16" and i found 100/75 way to much bite. 100/50 is better for me.

hrm...gonna have to see how 100/50 feels in a game. Ice will probably be softer tonight too (I guess that would be the term? I'm pay little attention to the details of the ice). Didn't quite get enough bite for my liking this morning at stick and puck. Although I guess I could get used to it eventually, wasn't too bad.

Edited by freestyla

I think when you get it dialed in it's a big difference.

Going from 11/16" to 90/75 didn't do much for me...but dropping down to 100/50 gave me way more bite when I wanted it, none when I didn't (no catching edges), and I really do notice the increased glide (can take two strides and glide across the ice now).