Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

We just got the Blademaster BFD here at SUMMIT HOCKEY SHOP, first ones in Arizona to get it. We are testing it this week and will be ready to go next week for anyone that is interested. We are very excited to get this going and get some players to try it out.

i'm looking to send my steel out to have this done. the closest shop that does the FBV is about 200 miles away. is there anyone interested in receiving two pairs of ls2 steel to put a 100/50 on them. i'm skating in a 7/16" and after reading about fifty pages of this thread, the 100/50 seems to be a comparable cut. it's possible to send just steel?

i'm looking to send my steel out to have this done. the closest shop that does the FBV is about 200 miles away. is there anyone interested in receiving two pairs of ls2 steel to put a 100/50 on them. i'm skating in a 7/16" and after reading about fifty pages of this thread, the 100/50 seems to be a comparable cut. it's possible to send just steel?

Yes it is possible to send the steel out - best to use a mailing tube - wrap the steel together in bubble wrap and mail it priority mail - same rate as parcel post but gets there faster - www.ProFormanceEdges.com only have the 90/75 - which is like the 1/2 to 9/16 cut to me - $4 a pair good cut - cheaper then most - shipping sucks unless you have more then one pair to send - I think its the same priority rate for up to 3 pair of blades

I've had No Icing Sports do steel for me multiple times via mail. Very quick service and the attention to detail was superb; can't be happier.

Do the math - 2 pairs a month at $7 a pair vs $4 a pair at ProformanceEdges -

NoIcing $14 a month x 12 = $168 vs $8 a month x 12 = $96 - saving $72 a year for the same thing

www.ProFormanceEdges.com only have the 90/75 - which is like the 1/2 to 9/16 cut to me - $4 a pair good cut - cheaper then most - shipping sucks unless you have more then one pair to send - I think its the same priority rate for up to 3 pair of blades

Offering more than one cut....priceless.

JR - How does the Blademaster BFD compare to the FBV?

The technical difference is the FBV uses straight slopes down to the flat on the inside edges whereas the BFD uses a slope with a radius down to the flat. |\_/| versus |(_)|

Blackstone came out with the FBV well before Blademasters BFD. Blackstone (per JR) tried different cuts (including the radiused slope like the BFD), but found that the V profile worked the best. Blademasters has a document on their page discounting the blackstone FBV claims... it's an interesting read, but read it for what it is, a marketing tool. In fact, blademaster went to great lengths (prior to the release of BFD) of trying to make people believe that flat bottom profiles were merely a gimmick. Simple fact is FBV is much more prevalent and I have yet to see a negative review of it. Can't argue with success.

I just got my first FBV sharpening ever and was I ever impressed! I usually get a regular sharpening of 5/8 or 3/8 hollow but decided to give it a shot. The first time I stepped on the ice it felt familiar like 3/8 but had plenty of glide and bite! Very pleased with the performance but it was pricey 10$ per sharpening :P. Anyways I was wondering does this indeed last longer then a regular sharpening? The guy who sharpened them stated some people said it holds up around the same as a regular sharpening?.

JR - How does the Blademaster BFD compare to the FBV?

The technical difference is the FBV uses straight slopes down to the flat on the inside edges whereas the BFD uses a slope with a radius down to the flat. |\_/| versus |(_)|

Blackstone came out with the FBV well before Blademasters BFD. Blackstone (per JR) tried different cuts (including the radiused slope like the BFD), but found that the V profile worked the best. Blademasters has a document on their page discounting the blackstone FBV claims... it's an interesting read, but read it for what it is, a marketing tool. In fact, blademaster went to great lengths (prior to the release of BFD) of trying to make people believe that flat bottom profiles were merely a gimmick. Simple fact is FBV is much more prevalent and I have yet to see a negative review of it. Can't argue with success.

Someone on another board managed to call it a scam lol.

I've had No Icing Sports do steel for me multiple times via mail. Very quick service and the attention to detail was superb; can't be happier.

Do the math - 2 pairs a month at $7 a pair vs $4 a pair at ProformanceEdges -

NoIcing $14 a month x 12 = $168 vs $8 a month x 12 = $96 - saving $72 a year for the same thing

Quit spamming.

My 2 cents.

Once I tried FBV, I never looked back. It really works.

I've tried 90/75 and 100/50. 90/75 is perfect for me. The extra amount of edge going from 90/75 to 100/50 is not trivial at all. I found it to be a HUGE jump despite it being the next increment up on FBV's scale. I can't even imagine what 100/75 is like. It must be sharper than a Ginsu knife.

I'll be taking my virgin voyage on the FBV tonight, 35 years on a traditional hollow down the drain.

One of the guys on my team said he was watching a game the other night and they were talking about it. He told his wife that he had been skating on it for almost a year and she didn't believe him.

I'll be taking my virgin voyage on the FBV tonight, 35 years on a traditional hollow down the drain.

One of the guys on my team said he was watching a game the other night and they were talking about it. He told his wife that he had been skating on it for almost a year and she didn't believe him.

Some a month or so ago asked me if I'd ever heard of it...I said..."Been skating on it since I went to Novi last year". Then I had to backtrack and explain what THAT meant!

Some a month or so ago asked me if I'd ever heard of it...I said..."Been skating on it since I went to Novi last year". Then I had to backtrack and explain what THAT meant!

I've gotten those questions a lot over the past year. I've gotten pretty good at explaining what FBV does, haha. :P

I figured I'd wait until now to try it. 75 pages of rave reviews just weren't enough for me, I needed 100 to be sure.

Even if you don't like it...(which is not all that likely)...you've read so much about it...you'll think you do *L*

I am strongly considering the blackstone x0-1 sharpener. I've read alot and researched this one and the wissota. SO I called Blackstone today and decided that I was going to order one if they were willing to substitute a fbv spinner. After a short conversation the salesperson said it was ok, but I would have to pay the $15 difference. (seems like pinching pennies to sell a $879 sharpener that I'm sure is half profit). Then the salesperson proceeding to try and sell me the "upgraded" skate holder for $100 extra. When I said I wasn't interested he told me that this is the one that all the NHL teams use and it was far superior to the holder that came with the X0-1. He said if I wanted it after I ordered the package it would be $250 and that they were phasing out the current holder for this new one because they had had some complaints about it. Well all of the sudden I wasn't so sure that I wanted the X0-1. I said I wanted to think it over since I was only getting it to sharpen my sons skates so it wasn't going to get alot of use and I was having a hard time justifying getting it at all, but the sharpener at the rink is horrible and they charge $8 and if I want a good edge I have to drive some distance. So then he told me the deal was only for today, and when I called back I wouldn't be able to get the upgraded holder for $100.

Well sorry for the long post but now I'm concerned since he CLEARLY indicated that he "highly highly" recommended the upgraded holder. (He really said it twice.) My son is 10 and will probably play til he's 18 and then probably play rec hockey so he can keep it (if it lasts). But I will only be using it at most once a week to sharpen his skates and maybe every two weeks to sharpen mine. I'm not sure either one of us is good enough to notice the FBV edge. Should I just get the wissota? the Blackstone? what about the upgraded holder? Thanks in advance for reading this and helping.

DPT

dpt -

The upgraded holder is worth it. Granted, I sharpen with the base holder (which they are discontinuing) but it took some work to get it dialed in to work for me, and I'm extremely technical. The upgraded holder is very accurate and simpler to use. I saw it last weekend in MI and it is identical to the professional-grade one that comes on the standard machines, just with a lower height.

For someone just starting out, the X01 will fit your needs.