Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

I went from 100/50 to 100/75 just to see. Felt pretty close to the same for me in terms of bite. Is that how it is? I know when I went from 3/8 to 7/16 (or vice versa) it felt quite different.

So looks like the shop will have FBV in the next day or so. Excited to finally be able to give it a go and see how it skates. Only took a year+ to get it in the shop

I keep hoping to one day see a SoCal store that offers this. I guess if I want FBV I am going to have to learn how to remove my steel and mail it out, or loosen up the purse strings and buy a machine. :lol: Most likely I will go with option #2 once I learn how to sharpen skates and feel comfortable doing so...

Edited by Jeff

So looks like the shop will have FBV in the next day or so. Excited to finally be able to give it a go and see how it skates. Only took a year+ to get it in the shop

drool. want.

Edited by puck_it

For those who usually skated with a 3/4. What did you cross over to in the FBV?

I usually used to go between 5/8 and 3/4 depending on the ice and I use 90/75 now

I keep hoping to one day see a SoCal store that offers this. I guess if I want FBV I am going to have to learn how to remove my steel and mail it out, or loosen up the purse strings and buy a machine. :lol: Most likely I will go with option #2 once I learn how to sharpen skates and feel comfortable doing so...

Jeff, buy a machine, you will learn to sharpen skates in no time if you have your own!

Went back to a standard 5/8" on an emergent basis after being on 100/50 for a few months. The regular sharpening feels like I'm sitting deeper in the ice rather than floating on top. The sound is deeper and louder as well, and of course, glide was reduced. Not a lot of change in the mechanics of how I skated, but I was definitely working harder to keep the same pace. Will be switching back when I get the chance.

Went back to a standard 5/8" on an emergent basis after being on 100/50 for a few months. The regular sharpening feels like I'm sitting deeper in the ice rather than floating on top. The sound is deeper and louder as well, and of course, glide was reduced. Not a lot of change in the mechanics of how I skated, but I was definitely working harder to keep the same pace. Will be switching back when I get the chance.

I had PMd you.

Has anyone sharpened CCM Vector goalie skates using Blackstone's holder that can be found on the X-01 or X-02 model?

A couple of days ago I had so much trouble to have my skates sharpened on Blademaster machine because of their standard holders. Now I don't want to go over with unscrewing the blades every time I want to have my skates sharpened.

Edited by Loma

What do you mean exactly? I was more worried that there wouldn't enough steel exposed. That was the problem that the guy had while sharpening my skates on Blademaster machine.

Take some time and go through this entire thread..it's been mentioned many times.

Has anyone sharpened CCM Vector goalie skates using Blackstone's holder that can be found on the X-01 or X-02 model?

A couple of days ago I had so much trouble to have my skates sharpened on Blademaster machine because of their standard holders. Now I don't want to go over with unscrewing the blades every time I want to have my skates sharpened.

The skates I always seemed to have troubles with were the smaller sized goalie skates, esp Bauers, and getting them over the thumb screw. I'd always have to take the screw out, and even then setting them on the plate was a chore cuz of that angled piece on the outside would make it hard to get the tuuk flush against the plate leaving very little steel hanging over the edge to sharpen.

Edited by wex12

What do you mean exactly? I was more worried that there wouldn't enough steel exposed. That was the problem that the guy had while sharpening my skates on Blademaster machine.

Sorry - thought you had a machine and you were having problems.

As to goal skates on that type of holder, not sure, I can find out though. I don't necessarily foresee any problems with steel exposure on CCM skates (Wex is right about the smaller skates though) but the X02 holder doesn't hold weight as well as the Tri-Lie does.

I'll figure it out and get back to ya.

I think I mentioned this before, the glide on the 3/8 was great except with my weight, i was digging in too much on hard ice. JR did up a pair of runners for me at 100/50 (I think its the 1/2" equivalent) and after some minor adjustments I could not be happier with this setup I feel more confident with the cut and JR did a great job on the runners. I don't think I am going back to a traditional sharpening if i can help it!