Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Huh?
And lawgoalie perhaps made a pun on it. Interesting stuff.

Hah, too much credit -- I was referring to this:

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Steve and the guys are using a new Flat bottom "C" goalie cut at the Olympics....

Now, he *may* have hit 'C' instead of 'V', but his reply would suggest otherwise.

I inferred that Blackstone had not simply widened the flat for the wider goalie blades, but actually had some new shape that involved a flat bottom with rounded sides, as opposed to the straight 'fangs' of FBV edges.

I inferred that Blackstone had not simply widened the flat for the wider goalie blades, but actually had some new shape that involved a flat bottom with rounded sides, as opposed to the straight 'fangs' of FBV edges.

Steve has said that they have tested other shapes.

Yes, they have tested other shapes, but I don't know how fro_ride came to that conclusion from Steve's blog. I haven't talked to Steve in a couple of weeks so I am not sure myself.

I guess this is where I should have put this link. But I'm not sure everyone checks this thread all that often (my self included until this week).

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Skill+wi...7855/story.html

Also just in case you FBV fans missed this in the Olympic forum.

http://behindthescenes2010games.blogspot.com/

Edited by SirJW

I got the info off an email that said Flat Bottom "C" (no typo I assume) and that Timmy was on the equivalent of a 1/4" hollow.

I will inquire just in case...

Edited by Fro_ride

OK, I'm new to this thread cuz I just didn't think I would get a chance to try this in the near future. But the recent attention from the Olympics has me learning more about the FBV and curious to try it. Sorry if these questions have been ask and answered before.

Where in Southern California is it available to try retail? Does it cost much more than a 'traditional' sharpening?

Is the cut less durable because of the larger gap created by the new technique. Does it create problems when you 'nick' an edge? Is it easy to 'qucik fix' w/ a stone or is the chunk bigger due to the larger gap between edges? If this is true does the life of the runner last less than when using a traditional cut?

popup.jpg

Edited by SirJW

OK, I'm new to this thread cuz I just didn't think I would get a chance to try this in the near future. But the recent attention from the Olympics has me learning more about the FBV and curious to try it. Sorry if these questions have been ask and answered before.

Where in Southern California is it available to try retail? Does it cost much more than a 'traditional' sharpening?

Is the cut less durable because of the larger gap created by the new technique. Does it create problems when you 'nick' an edge? Is it easy to 'qucik fix' w/ a stone or is the chunk bigger due to the larger gap between edges? If this is true does the life of the runner last less than when using a traditional cut?

1. Southern California

2. It normally costs a dollar or two more from what I've experienced. Highest I've seen is $10

3. It hasn't show to be less durable in my experience. I have rolled edges before which is pretty catastrophic but it's only happened once or twice in the past year for me (and I'm on the ice probably 15-20 hours a week and I sharpen probably once ever week and a half to two weeks with 100/75).

3. The runner hasn't seem to be worn down any more normal than a traditional sharpen.

My advice would be that if you're going to try it make sure you try the different settings before you write it off. I started at 90/75 and thought it was brutal before going to 100/75 and loving it.

Some places charge the exact same price for FBV as regular sharpening.

My experience has been that FBV doesn't stay sharp as long as regular. But I now run the Miraclestone once on all 4 sides after every skate and have noticed I can go a lot longer between sharpenings.

Some places charge the exact same price for FBV as regular sharpening.

My experience has been that FBV doesn't stay sharp as long as regular. But I now run the Miraclestone once on all 4 sides after every skate and have noticed I can go a lot longer between sharpenings.

+1, though this is coming from a guy that can go a month plus(skate 2-3 times /week) w/o getting skates sharpened.

hey guys, I've read EVERY page on this thread which encouraged me to buy the x01. I know there have been a few difficulties with the x01, and I think I am having one of them and need help.

I am having trouble getting my edges with the x01. The equipment manager on my team is very good with skates, they are always perfect when he does them at 5/8 but this week when he started doing them on the x01 I have been trouble getting my edges. It seems that the edges are uneven so I slide too much. My steel isn't bent, and it isnt my skates because I tried both my pairs of skates.

It is also not the flat bottom V because I have been getting them done at the local rink so I know what it should feel like (and it feels great). I am starting to think it has something to do with the X01. Has anyone had the same problem, or have a solution. Our EQ manager is very good with skates usually so I don't think it's him either, in fact he put that thing that shows you whether the edges are level and they were certainly level. Thanks guys

Hey guys -

I've had my X01 up and running for a month now, and for the most part it has been trouble free. I'm using a 3/4" spinner, and the quality of the machine and holder (I upgraded to the U12 holder) have been top notch.

Now, when I sharpen, after a few passes I have no problems getting the edges on the straight run of the blade level. However, when I get this portion of the blade level, the edges on the toe and heal of the blade are way out of whack. Sometimes, the straight of the blade is square, but (for example) the top edge (in the holder) of the toe of the blade past where the blades starts to curve is way, way higher, and I don't know why. If I lower that side of the holder, it messes up the straight portion of the blade. If I get the straight portion of the blade correct, the toe is back out of whack, etc.

So, as someone who has not sharpened skates before, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any pointers?

I'm just getting up to speed on my X01 as well, so my thoughts should be taken only for what they're worth (perhaps not much). But my guess would be one of two things:

1. Because the table is small and the U12 holder is pretty big, a good portion of the holder ends up off the table as you start coming around the toe/heel curve. That makes it pretty easy to tip the holder right about there. Watch your hand placement and pressure to ensure the holder stays flat on the table all the way through.

2. You could have bent blades. Use a machinist's straightedge to check the blades and if necessary straighten them before sharpening.

One issue I'm having is the surface finish in the hollow. I'm using the 1/2" spinner and getting even edges and a nice shiny surface finish. There are no ripples or crosswise marks of any kind - all the lines run the length of the blade and there is no sign of chatter. But the lines that run the length of the blade seem awful deep. I can catch them with a fingernail, which generally means they are a couple of thousandths deep. I don't really know if this is normal, since I never actually examined my store-sharpened edges quite this critically. Is this normal? Like I said, everything else about the edge looks great, and if the answer is "don't worry about it", that's fine - I could just use the reassurance from one of the more experienced sharpeners. And of course, if it is not right, any thoughts about how to improve it? Thanks!

Rachael - need a better dress, and then back the Spinner off.

Thanks JR. I thought it might be the dress, so I tried an extra light dress right before the final pass. Still more line than I thought I should have. Do you think it could be too heavy a pass? Like too much pressure against the wheel? My motion is pretty smooth and even, but I wouldn't be surprised if I had a slightly heavy hand.

Thanks JR. I thought it might be the dress, so I tried an extra light dress right before the final pass. Still more line than I thought I should have. Do you think it could be too heavy a pass? Like too much pressure against the wheel? My motion is pretty smooth and even, but I wouldn't be surprised if I had a slightly heavy hand.

Try slowing your final pass down a bit. I had this happening too and slowing down helped me more than anything.

Try slowing your final pass down a bit. I had this happening too and slowing down helped me more than anything.

Thanks for the tip! Adjusting my speed did help a bit, but it turns out the biggest issue was that I wasn't getting a clean dress on the wheel. The spinner was a bit tight on my X01 and just wasn't putting a clean radius on the wheel. After a bit of fiddling with the wave washer it worked much better and I started getting very nice final passes. Thanks all for the help!

Just a heads up to anyone in NJ wondering about FBV at the Ice Vault in New Jersey...Finally got around to going there today, and my brother and I got our skates done (mine are player skates his are goalie). Both came out well and the FBV felt very good on the ice.