Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Absolutely. I was lucky enough to get the Turbo version of same. I'm glad I didn't go for a professional Prosharp

skates on the 100/50 or 50/100 whatever you want to call it. I liked it, they are alot easier on my knees and it felt great. If you have a shop by you that can do it, i would say give it a whirl.

skates on the 100/50 or 50/100 whatever you want to call it. I liked it, they are alot easier on my knees and it felt great. If you have a shop by you that can do it, i would say give it a whirl.

That was what I went with as well. I could tell the biggest difference with turning; I could get a lot lower and lean a lot more.

I tried out the 90/75 today. I'm typically on 5/8 to 3/4 on a regular sharpening. The skates felt great when I first got on the ice. Really nice bite going through turns and good glide, however, when I first went to do an aggressive stop they had way too much bite! It felt like I was going to do an ankle breaker and fall over! The problem was less noticeable as time went on. I'm assuming this was because I adjusted somewhat.

I'm wondering if this is a sign that I should try out 90/50? Is there a really noticeable difference or is the feeling of having a lot of bite when stopping just something that's typical of the FBV?

Thanks.

I tried out the 90/75 today. I'm typically on 5/8 to 3/4 on a regular sharpening. The skates felt great when I first got on the ice. Really nice bite going through turns and good glide, however, when I first went to do an aggressive stop they had way too much bite! It felt like I was going to do an ankle breaker and fall over! The problem was less noticeable as time went on. I'm assuming this was because I adjusted somewhat.

I'm wondering if this is a sign that I should try out 90/50? Is there a really noticeable difference or is the feeling of having a lot of bite when stopping just something that's typical of the FBV?

Thanks.

90/75 is comparable to a 5/8" hollow, so you shouldn't really notice a difference in edge too much. But try 90/50 for less edge.

Once I asked for 90/75 (like I always do) and got way too much edge. I chalked that time up to a new guy sharpening my skates. Either he over did them or he used the wrong wheel.

I'm surprised....... No serious discussion of FBV vs BFD!!!! to date seems one sided.

Well you know why they call it BFD right? I'll give you a hint, the first letter stands for "Big" and the third letter stands for "Deal."

I'm surprised....... No serious discussion of FBV vs BFD!!!! to date seems one sided.

Blademaster made themselves look really bad when:

1. They said it was ineffective

2. They put out their anti-fbv manifesto where the contradicted themselves several times

3. They introduced a very similar system as quickly as they could

I wanted to see what positive comments they could offer on their own product at the trade show but they were too busy to talk to me.

Perhaps you should consult the title of the thread. It may resolve your confusion.

Would you care to start a new thread which lays a rational groundwork for such a discussion?

Anyone know if Blackstone will be represented at the Let's Play Hockey Expo this weekend at the Mn State High School Hockey tourney.....They were last year.

Perhaps you should consult the title of the thread. It may resolve your confusion.

Would you care to start a new thread which lays a rational groundwork for such a discussion?

If I had info, knowledge or experience with the BFD system, I would be happy to provide it. I have no agenda or slant that I'm trying to provide or stir.

I do own two Blademaster portables and a Blackstone X-02.

With two competing systems...... I was just looking for some honest feedback.

Nor do I.

My concern was that this thread is strictly for descriptive discussion of one sharpening technology, and, in my experience, getting into a comparative discussion in the same space results in both being derailed.

To be honest, I figured that because you'd raised the issue, you might have some info on BFD. I haven't so much as seen a shop with BFD here in Toronto; most Blademaster/Max Edge places are sticking with ROH, and everyone else is going FBV in a hurry. Then again, we are a very peculiar market.

Anyone know if Blackstone will be represented at the Let's Play Hockey Expo this weekend at the Mn State High School Hockey tourney.....They were last year.

They are down there. The rep said a couple of different grit wheels will be available for the x01 and x02.

They are down there. The rep said a couple of different grit wheels will be available for the x01 and x02.

Sweet! I've been hoping for some grit choices for the X01. Any word when they'll be available for purchase online?

Picked up the 100/50 last night at the Hockey Expo in St Paul. Previously had skated on 100/75 and kids were on 90/75. Well, after watching one of the greatest high school games ever (4 overtime thriller Minnetonka over Hill Murray - get this, 4 ot's final 2-1 final ZERO penalties!) I ended up sharpening the skates at 1 am and skated at 8 am this morning. My review will probably be similar to all the others.

100/50 does feel to have more glide than 100/75 but still very nice bite, a bit more than 90/75 in fact. I believe everyone should start at 90/75 but also think most will eventually migrate to 100/50 as the best overall FBV.

This seems to be a cut that both my boys and I will use a very nice compromise between glide and bite.

Sweet! I've been hoping for some grit choices for the X01. Any word when they'll be available for purchase online?

[/quote

I should have asked for a more specific date. He just said 'pretty soon'.

Regarding x series wheels, he said that the softer grit was more for figure skates and some think the softer will polish better. There will be 2 addl. grits softer (must = finer) and more coarse. Existing will be right in the middle. I was there again today and Steve was rocking in the booth, tons of people.

Regarding x series wheels, he said that the softer grit was more for figure skates and some think the softer will polish better. There will be 2 addl. grits softer (must = finer) and more coarse. Existing will be right in the middle. I was there again today and Steve was rocking in the booth, tons of people.

That's exactly what I was thinking (hoping!). I'm getting a nice finish now, but since I'm able to sharpen my skates before they're way messed up, I only have to take off a small amount and I figure I can do that just as well or better with a finer grit wheel. Save some steel, get a better final pass... made a lot of sense to me. Hopefully they'll be available soon!