Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

The shop is called DRM Sports located in the Rockville Ice Arena, Rockville, MD.

If you think the sharpener may be the issue, there is a kid named Jim at the proshop at Kettler in Arlington that does a great job. Kind of a hike from Rockville, but if you're in the area, he does a really nice job.

I currently use 3/8th, what cut should I ask for?

If I dont like it, can I go back to 3/8th immediately?

Thanks.

100/75

I would give it at least two skates, but it will just take a couple extra passes to put the added depth back on for a traditional ROH.

I just noticed that the price of the X-01 went up around $100 and I noticed that it now comes with the X-12. They show a picture of the X-12 with the little ball shaped handles. Mine didn't come with the handles and I always assumed that it was just a different picture (perhaps of the U-12) that they used because they didn't have a picture of the X-12. But now that they actually show it that way on the X-01 page, I was wondering if any of you actually got X-12's with the handles on it? (I don't know that I really care because I have never really missed them... I'm just curious)

Thanks.

I think they must have made the tri-lie holder standard and increased the price to compensate. I ordered the tri-lie as an add-on when I got mine and it does have the ball handles, just like the picture. Before the price increase, it used to come with a regular holder and the tri-lie was optional.

I doubt I'd ever buy a portable machine for home BUT I recently switched to FBV sharpening and I do notice a nice difference. So much less "drag".

I'm a goalie and I would like to buy an X-02. I noticed that it now came with the X-12 tri-lie holder and my question is : will my Graf G50 goalie skate fit in that holder?

Thanks.

Maverick, I have some expereience with goalie skates, but not the Graf G50. I can tell you that the X-12 holder will work with Bauers, size 2.5 and bigger I would guess. I had a lot of trouble with the old holder and some Bauer size 1 goalie skates. I had to grind some material off the holder jaw so it would clear the cowling.

Best bet is to call blackstone and explain your situation. They might know if it will work or not.

Quick question regarding X01 vs X02. I know people say one is more a personal sharpener where the other is a volume sharpener, but what is the determining factor that would make someone need to get X02 over an X01? Nobody has really specified the cutoff point, unless I missed it.

I'm interested in possibly getting a sharpener down the road since the closest FBV place is a couple hours away and would probably end up letting others use it, so I'm curious as to what load is needed to justify the X02 over the X01.

Thanks - Kevin

Edited by kr580

Question for all spinner users, but particularly those who work at shops and go through a lot of spinners...

Would it be true that a spinner is done for as soon as you can see any metal spots on it?

-OR-

Would it be true that if there is only a small metal spot (for the sake of argument let's say less than 10% of the circumference) that the rotating action of the spinner is enough such that you can still effectively use the spinner longer?

Thanks for your expertise.

Question for all spinner users, but particularly those who work at shops and go through a lot of spinners...

Would it be true that a spinner is done for as soon as you can see any metal spots on it?

-OR-

Would it be true that if there is only a small metal spot (for the sake of argument let's say less than 10% of the circumference) that the rotating action of the spinner is enough such that you can still effectively use the spinner longer?

Thanks for your expertise.

Just dress past it. Hit a spot that still has diamond on it.

DRESSING THE WHEEL. okay, so i just received my Blackstone X02 yesterday (can't hide my excitement).... im horrible at manual tasks in general but so far everything seems pretty straightforward. im just wondering something concerning the process of "dressing the wheel". from what i understand, this is the process of shaping the grinding wheel using the spinner. i.e., while the grinding wheel is in full rotating motion, you slowly move the little spinner towards it so that they touch each other which results in the spinner giving its shape to the wheel.

in the video on the X02 on their site, it seems like you have to let the spinner touch the grinding wheel for a about 3 or 4 seconds (which creates some dirt coming out of the little exaust) then you move the spinner back and you're ready to sharpen the skates. is there anything else to know about dressing the wheel? is it always that easy? how exactly does it have to be done? and am i in the right ball park when i say 3 or 4 seconds?

also, it might seem a bit stupid but im wondering, do I need to dress the wheel every pair of skate? or every single skate? or do I have to do it only rarely, like when im starting to use a brand new wheel or a new type of spinner?

thanks in advance, i have yet to try this FBV thing on real ice, but i can't wait!

When dressing the wheel the first time or when changing hollows it will take a little longer than when just touching it up. How frequently you dress the wheel is up to you. I prefer to dress the wheel for every skate, more often if there are chips or nicks that I need to work through. If you are just doing your own skates and dressing for each skate, the wheel and spinner will still last a long time.

is there anything else to know about dressing the wheel?

You should go back and read the entire thread (yes I know that will take a while). But there is some useful info you can gleen from it. One thing I would want to caution you about before it's too late (and you can find info about it in the thread) is that you probably need to "loosen up" the spring washer that compresses against the spinner causing it to spin more slowly than the grinding wheel so that it is possible to dress the grinding wheel. As delivered, it tends to be (at least it used to) a little too tight and doesn't let the spinner spin enough. This can cause you to eat through the diamonds in one particular spot on the spinner (this happened to me) shortening the life of the spinner.

Quick question regarding X01 vs X02. I know people say one is more a personal sharpener where the other is a volume sharpener, but what is the determining factor that would make someone need to get X02 over an X01? Nobody has really specified the cutoff point, unless I missed it.

I'm interested in possibly getting a sharpener down the road since the closest FBV place is a couple hours away and would probably end up letting others use it, so I'm curious as to what load is needed to justify the X02 over the X01.

Thanks - Kevin

Any help with my question please?

Thanks - Kevin

How many sharpenings are you guys getting out of each grinding wheel ?

My first wheel (X-01) is getting to the point where I'm going to have to toss it, since soon it will no longer protrude through the covering slot. But it there's a lot more wheel left there. Is there a good reason for Blackstone to design the wheel this way ? I'm wondering whether the wheel could get too hot if worked down too much, but the cynic in me is also wondering whether maybe they will just sell more wheels this way.

Edited by NuggyBuggy

My first wheel (X-01) is getting to the point where I'm going to have to toss it, since soon it will no longer protrude through the covering slot. But it there's a lot more wheel left there. Is there a good reason for Blackstone to design the wheel this way ? I'm wondering whether the wheel could get too hot if worked down too much, but the cynic in me is also wondering whether maybe they will just sell more wheels this way.

Take the cover off and keep using it.

Alright, thank you JR.

The correct speed for the Black Stone X-01 is 5000 rpm. The X-02 has as you have indicated a speed of 6900 rpm.

The Black Stone X-01 is designed in accordance with UL requirements for grinders, and therefore the grinding wheel openning is limited to an angle of 90 degrees. this angle of openning limits the amount of wheel that is available for use. I cannot condone the removal of the fixed guarding as this would be counter to the safety standards included in the UL specification.