Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

First number corresponds to the flat width, second number corresponds to the edge height.

Thanks, from the chart I could see it's a ratio, now I know what it is.

This helps a lot, trying to decipher posts I found a bit cryptic until now.

I think I'll try 100/50. I got 100/75 the first time with FBV, and that's the first time I even asked details about sharpening. Before, I'd just taken my skates in, and said "sharpen 'em". And I always liked the feel of them better after several skates; freshly sharpened had more grip than I liked.

Edited by wrangler

Switched to the 100/50 last night. I definitely liked it better. Might be all in my head but I felt quicker.

See if you continue to feel that way. I'll try it next Wednesday or Friday; not sure when my next time out will be yet.

Switched to the 100/50 last night. I definitely liked it better. Might be all in my head but I felt quicker.

glad you listened, nobody listens to me...

anyway - keep going up...

Judging by the overwhelming numbers of players that I skate with that complain about skating the first few times on a new sharp, I'd say the majority of rec players are on too deep a hollow.

Definitely going to try the next step. I want to spend at least a few weeks on this hollow though.

Definitely going to try the next step. I want to spend at least a few weeks on this hollow though.

I'm interested in getting to the point where I have freshly sharpened skates that aren't too sharp for me. It'll be a first, and I'm looking forward to it.

Getting educated on stuff like this is one of the reasons I'm glad I stumbled in the door at MSH.

OK, I used to use 7/16, I tried the flat bottom V last sharpening and love it. More glide, same bite, less fatigue which is crucial for me. The problem is I'm forgetting the number I got and I'm not smart enough to figure out the chart given in this thread. So I need a translation, 7/16=?

could go either way...100/50 or 100/75; there isn't an exact match.

So if I'm understanding the chart right 50 would be "faster" than 75? I should have stored it in my cell phone when I got it done, hopefully the same guy will be there today. Another problem that may come up if you diecide to switch is some places still don't do the FBV. I play in 2 different cities, one rink does it the other doesn't so I have to wait until I play in the one rink to get it done. It is worth the wait. I felt a noticable improvement in glide, no loss in bite, no problem crossing over, no problem transitioning from forward to defense.

So if I'm understanding the chart right 50 would be "faster" than 75? I should have stored it in my cell phone when I got it done, hopefully the same guy will be there today. Another problem that may come up if you diecide to switch is some places still don't do the FBV. I play in 2 different cities, one rink does it the other doesn't so I have to wait until I play in the one rink to get it done. It is worth the wait. I felt a noticable improvement in glide, no loss in bite, no problem crossing over, no problem transitioning from forward to defense.

in the grand scheme of things, yes. The 50 isn't digging into the ice as much as the 75 is.

I also have two sets of steel with the FBV on them. That way I always have a spare set ready to go. I then have a third set with a normal ROH on them that I can throw in for public skates with the little one or to play at an outdoor rink. That way I don't worry about beating up the good FBV Step steel; the crappy Graf has the ROH.

in the grand scheme of things, yes. The 50 isn't digging into the ice as much as the 75 is.

Got my skates sharpened again today, they told me my number for FBV is 6. Confusing.

They aren't doing FBV...you're getting the Blademaster "version." You're getting X6.

So my follow up questions is what's the difference and is there a dealor locator for FBV?

yes there is, and if you go on Blackstone's site, it will tell you what dealers do offer it.

Let me ask you this - have they been telling you it is Flat-Bottom V what they are doing to your skates?

yes there is, and if you go on Blackstone's site, it will tell you what dealers do offer it.

Let me ask you this - have they been telling you it is Flat-Bottom V what they are doing to your skates?

Yes. I play at Glacial Gardens in Lakewood, CA. I asked them if they did the FBV cut and they said yes so I"ve got it done twice now. I have no idea what they are doing to my skates now but it feels better than the 7/16 I had been getting. On the Blackstone site it looks as though there is nowhere in SoCal to get it done. It's things like this that make me appreciate ModSquad.

Yes. I play at Glacial Gardens in Lakewood, CA. I asked them if they did the FBV cut and they said yes so I"ve got it done twice now. I have no idea what they are doing to my skates now but it feels better than the 7/16 I had been getting. On the Blackstone site it looks as though there is nowhere in SoCal to get it done. It's things like this that make me appreciate ModSquad.

I think Glacial Gardens and HockeyMonkey,Santa Ana use the Blademaster version.

JR I'm curious about the people who do my skates they say its FBV but ask you what you want in traditional ROH ex: According to them I'm skating on 1/2 FBV. :huh: Should I be concerned they're listed as one of the people who have FBV and the machiene they do them on is a blackstone so?

Edited by RussianDangler15