Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

You could probably do it with one of these in a drill press, but that's pretty cost prohibitive. Short of that, if the steel is really hardened to any degree, you're better off trying to grind it out with a small cylindrical stone on a Dremel tool at low speed and just hope like heck you get it round.

We actually have the ability to drill out safes at work in our shop. I will let you know how it goes.

We actually have the ability to drill out safes at work in our shop. I will let you know how it goes.

Have you tried oiling it yet? That did the trick on my Bat Gage. I'm satisfied enough that I wouldn't bother drilling out the holes at this point.

All this talk^^ sounds like "Batman speak" - "Holy edges, Batman, quick! Grab the Bat Gauge!"

LOL!

Ummmm, okay, so I just spent two hours on FBV sharpened steel - all I have to say is, I am never, ever going back to ROH. It took about 5 minutes for me and my blades to get to know one another - and once we did, love struck, and now we're skipping the dating the candles and all that and we're just going to get married straightaway. We're registered at TSR Hockey if you want to send wedding presents.

'

Edited by Katzenjammer

Why don't you just go along for the ride and find out for yourself?

I'm trying hard not to be rude, but sometimes you just need to take a leap of faith and make your own assessment. Everyone's mileage varies on what they believe to be a sharp edge.

Why don't you just go along for the ride and find out for yourself?

I'm trying hard not to be rude, but sometimes you just need to take a leap of faith and make your own assessment. Everyone's mileage varies on what they believe to be a sharp edge.

I'm merely asking what others have experienced. That's usually the point of these forums.

Ideally, you should be sharpening your skates before they lose their edge anyway. I do and never have to deal with the issue of going from dull to sharp edges that so many people complain about.

I'm merely asking what others have experienced. That's usually the point of these forums.

And people have left their feedback in this exact thread. One can look back and read and see what they have posted.

But once again, find out for yourself, and report back - pay it forward. That's the point of a forum.

I tried 90/75 liked it but wanted some more bite so went back to the store and they recommended that I switch to 100/50, I don't know if it was a bad sharpen the second time or I'm just not used to the cut but 100/50 felt like crap couldn't get a good edge in the ice and at high speed felt weird but not sure if that was the glide kinda wobble popped up..

Not sure if I should go to 100/75 or 95/75

Edited by stick&puck

I tried 90/75 liked it but wanted some more bite so went back to the store and they recommended that I switch to 100/50, I don't know if it was a bad sharpen the second time or I'm just not used to the cut but 100/50 felt like crap couldn't get a good edge in the ice and at high speed felt weird but not sure if that was the glide kinda wobble popped up..

Not sure if I should go to 100/75 or 95/75

A lot of my guys like 95/75. It's probably the easiest transition from half inch. Since I got that spinner, 3/4 of my FBV guys have switched to it.

If properly sharpened - any difference in how much ice-time a FBV lasts? I think I read somewhere that they get dull all of a sudden rather than gradually - is this true?

I dress the side of my runners after every skate and my experience is the FBV sharpening lasts at least as long as a standard roh sharpening.

My FBV lasts for at least 4 hours. I say 4 because I skated 4 hours at a max before some manages to let me stand on their stick or I find something to nick them on.

Ok, so I read this whole thread (yikes!), I am looking at picking up a XO1. There seem to be some people who have them for awhile now. Any "long term reviews" out there? (over 1 year?). I will be doing my 2 pairs of skates and my kids 2 pairs. we don't skate a ton so like 10 skates a month on average.

Thinking of going Xo1, 100/50 FBV spinner...and of course the FREE accessory kit!

Thanks for all the insightful info on MSH!

Ok, so I read this whole thread (yikes!), I am looking at picking up a XO1. There seem to be some people who have them for awhile now. Any "long term reviews" out there? (over 1 year?). I will be doing my 2 pairs of skates and my kids 2 pairs. we don't skate a ton so like 10 skates a month on average.

Thinking of going Xo1, 100/50 FBV spinner...and of course the FREE accessory kit!

Thanks for all the insightful info on MSH!

I have owned my Xo2 from the very beginning , in fact I would be willing to be I got one of the first production sharpeners. Going on 2 years this fall?

Your usage's nearly identical to mine. 2 Boys and myself. I settled on 100/50 all year round. I think purchasing the Xo2 was the best buy I have ever made. Sorry to all you shop owners for my next statement. A byproduct of sharpening your own skates is less side purchases every time you go to the shop to get a sharpening. The overall benefit is the flexibility owning a sharpener gives you. Game Day after Xmas and forgot to get the skates sharpened? no problem. You will not be sorry.

A couple things, get the Ruby wheel, tef top, the upgraded holder and fine shine. Cannot speak on the current Bat Gage. I like my magnetic edge checker.

For outdoor ice the 100/75 is the right edge. my boys are 11 and 12 and play all year long at least 3 days a week 2 hours per skate. Winter is more random. I am 6'1" 235 we all like the 100/50. For those that say FBV does not last as long as ROH? the answer is get yourself a MIracle stone and use it after each skate. You will find the FBV edge preserves quite a while. I would say my boys get 2.5 - 3 weeks (almost 18 hours on ice) out of each sharpen.

Blackstone has been amazing to deal with. great service and nice people. Good Luck.

I have owned my Xo2 from the very beginning , in fact I would be willing to be I got one of the first production sharpeners. Going on 2 years this fall?

Your usage's nearly identical to mine. 2 Boys and myself. I settled on 100/50 all year round. I think purchasing the Xo2 was the best buy I have ever made. Sorry to all you shop owners for my next statement. A byproduct of sharpening your own skates is less side purchases every time you go to the shop to get a sharpening. The overall benefit is the flexibility owning a sharpener gives you. Game Day after Xmas and forgot to get the skates sharpened? no problem. You will not be sorry.

A couple things, get the Ruby wheel, tef top, the upgraded holder and fine shine. Cannot speak on the current Bat Gage. I like my magnetic edge checker.

For outdoor ice the 100/75 is the right edge. my boys are 11 and 12 and play all year long at least 3 days a week 2 hours per skate. Winter is more random. I am 6'1" 235 we all like the 100/50. For those that say FBV does not last as long as ROH? the answer is get yourself a MIracle stone and use it after each skate. You will find the FBV edge preserves quite a while. I would say my boys get 2.5 - 3 weeks (almost 18 hours on ice) out of each sharpen.

Blackstone has been amazing to deal with. great service and nice people. Good Luck.

Thanks MNPucker.

Blackstone has a deal that includes the accessory kit, I think this includes a lot of what you talk about. I am not 100% sure what the Tef Top is though?

Now you got me thinking about the Xo2....doh.

I just sent the email below (what do you guys think, good idea or bad)?...

-----

Have you guys ever considered changing up the FBV numbering system (and options that are available)available so that people could more easily understand it? I think people need essentially one number the is intuitively understood to bring it into the paradigm that they are currently used to (there would actually still be two numbers, but they wouldn't think of it that way). I was thinking that if you change the order of the numbers, i.e. put the edge depth first then you could say something like "First, choose your edge depth" and you could provide info about the tradeoffs between deeper edge and shallower edge (i.e. lasts longer, bites more, etc.) and then say something like "Then, dial in your bite". So you would end up with two scales 50 and 75 say (or you could have three or four scales if the shops were willing to buy that many spinners...

Then you would have a chart something like below,,,

Shallow Edge (50)

Less Bite <- 94 - 96 - 98 - 100 - 102 - 104 -> More Bite

Deep Edge (75)

Less Bite <- 94 - 96 - 98 - 100 - 102 - 104 -> More Bite

That way a guy could pick an edge depth (the coarse adjustment) and then tweak the flat width and therefore, edge angle (the fine adjustment) until they found what they like. Once they pick an edge depth, they just think of it in terms of a single value that represents "sharpness".

Just a thought (perhaps you guys may have already thought of a reason why this wouldn't be a good idea).

Yeah, that's not really what I mean. Even the guys at Blackstone admit that ROH comparisons aren't very helpful and they just did it because the market insisted they publish something. That's OK though. Bad idea I guess. Thanks.

EDITED...

I take it back. That is EXACTLY what that chart is. I guess I had forgotten about it and never really thought of it in that way. All the shops around here still just have the "original" four, which forces everyone into that paradigm. I own 90/75, 95/75, 100/75, 90/50, 100/50 spinners. I think I'll need to get a 95/50 to "complete" (at least in terms of what I would care about) my set.

Edited by AfftonDad

But that one does have the "more exotic" spinners on it...

Thanks MNPucker.

Blackstone has a deal that includes the accessory kit, I think this includes a lot of what you talk about. I am not 100% sure what the Tef Top is though?

Now you got me thinking about the Xo2....doh.

TefTop is a liquid teflon spray used to slick down the table.

What is the relationship, or difference, between grip and edge?

The angle of the edge creates more or less grip. All sharpenings have sharp edges, depending on the angle of the edge, one would grip more than the other.

JR, do you mean the Xo2 has a more exotic spinner?

I am leaning towards XO2, with FBV 100/50 to start...with the Tef Top of course.

But that one does have the "more exotic" spinners on it...

TefTop is a liquid teflon spray used to slick down the table.