Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Thanks everyone...and thank you Chiefs17.

I have really been trying to make a great setup for myself and for people that want to feel what a correct skate sharpening feels like. I am doing ok with just word of mouth from people I have sharpened skates for.

I see so many skates sharpened from 16 year old kids (with little instruction, not they're fault at all) and adults (whom have been sharpening for years) at the LHS and it kills me. 99% of the shops iv seen skates sharpened don't use any type of measuring device after the blade has been run on the wheel, many of them set the skate holder and never adjust it. I don't understand this. I have been sharpening skates for 12 years. I have NEVER found the "master setting" on the holder. I have never been able to "eyeball" the blade and tell if its level or not. (I mean obviously I can tell if its real outta whack) but with so many options for measuring the level of the blade out there I see no reason for it not to be done EVERY TIME. I have the 60$ "edge checker" and it works great, the "Max Edge" (my favored) (120$), I have the HDI which is like the most precise instrument on the market (120$ from Glynn at E-Z Sharp), I have a level from SSM (like 40$) the "Bat-gauge" from Blackstone (125$). How is this not a must have for any LHS?? No one can give perfect edges without measuring. That's why I wanted to start doing it correct. I won't give you back skates until I am absolutely satisfied each blade is level and sharpened to the best of my ability. Maybe this is just a CT thing, IDK, but I wanted to make a difference and that's why I like to sharpen skates. I really believe the FBV is worth it too. Its worth the extra expense, and was worth the start up cost. I think that when people try it they will notice the advantage. But, It needs to be done correct. If someone puts the FBV on a blade and its not level, or only 1 edge is hit with the wheel, the experience is not going to be pleasant.

I thank everyone again on this thread. I have actually read all 100 pages. Seems like a great board. I am happy to be a part of it now. I have learned much about the FBV from this thread and have passed it along almost everyday.

• Like 1

I see so many skates sharpened from 16 year old kids (with little instruction, not they're fault at all) and adults (whom have been sharpening for years) at the LHS and it kills me. 99% of the shops iv seen skates sharpened don't use any type of measuring device after

Along these lines, I got an unexpected, unsolicited, indirect compliment the other day. A father of one of the kids whose skates I sharpen on my X-01 needed them sharpened right away but I wasn't going to be home in time to do them. He took them to the LHS, which just so happens to currently have Bert Godin, the equipment manager of the St. Louis Blues working there during the lockout. The father told me that Bert checked the edges before he started (perhaps he saw the 95/75 that I had written on the blade and was curious because I don't think the shops around here offer that hollow). Bert told him, "I don't know who did these skates before but they did a really good job... I don't usually see edges this even." (I assume he was not talking about his own work). Anyway, that made me feel pretty good that I could get that compliment from him as a mostly self taught sharpener using a little X-01 machine in my garage.

Edited by AfftonDad
  • Like 1

Along these lines, I got an unexpected, unsolicited, indirect comment the other day. A father of one of the kids whose skates I sharpen on my X-01 needed them sharpened right away but I wasn't going to be home in time to do them. He took them to the LHS, which just so happens to currently have Bert Godin, the equipment manager of the St. Louis Blues working there during the lockout. The father told me that Bert checked the edges before he started (perhaps he saw the 95/75 that I had written on the blade and was curious because I don't think the shops around here offer that hollow). Bert told him, "I don't know who did these skates before but they did a really good job... I don't usually see edges this even." (I assume he was not talking about his own work). Anyway, that made be feel pretty good that I could get that compliment from him as a mostly self taught sharpener using a little X-01 machine in my garage.

Bert has been doing this for a very long time, he is a good man and an advocate for good sharpening. If he gave you a thumbs up you should be very proud of your work. Way to go!

4 years ago today I left my home in Buffalo NY at 4 am and toke a ride up to Kingsville, Ontario to the Blackstone offices/factory for an 8 am meeting with Steve about buying a sharpen for personal use. With my son skating 7 nights a week and going to the pro shop 4-5 times

a week, it was a good decision to buy one and save my time and money. (The wife didn't think it was a good idea to this day) After spending the day with Steve and the guys in the shop I decided to buy one. That was the first time I heard about the Flay Bottom V. I know I am a

little spoiled, but I bought the Triple Head Stealth machine, loaded in the back of my truck and on my way back to Buffalo. Customs had a great time with me that nigh, but it was well worth it. I have sharpened over 5000 pairs of skates (as a Hobby) and yet to have one

person go back. Ok out to the shop to finish todays batch of skates

Had my skates sharpened by a different shop then usual. Asked for 90/75 as usual.

When I got on the ice and tried to stop I immediately fell down. It felt incredible hard to skate, like skating in sand. I had zero glide. When I tried to turn or stop it felt like my edges were incredibly deep. It just didn't feel the same as it usually does. It was so bad I benched myself because I was worried I would hurt myself. I came really close a couple times!

My assumption is the dude put the wrong hollow on my skates something MUCH deeper. For tonight's game I'm going to have them resharpen my skates. Should I ask for a cross grind? Does what I described sound like a hollow that's too deep? Is it that difficult to pick the wrong spinner?

This experience is basically forcing me to purchase an X series sharpener. Going to be calling blackstone today for sure. My leagues fees are just too expensive for me to be benching myself!

Edited by Chadd
removed double copy

Even with a deeper FBV, you should have had similar glide in straight line skating. It sounds more like it wasn't a real FBV sharpening.

Sorry for the double post, I was posting from my phone. Thanks Chadd.

The glide was certainly reduced. I was at like 60% glide. Perhaps he gave me 3/8" or something. I haven't skated on 5/8 in a long time, but I assume the edges would feel similar to 90/75 just with less glide.

I am no expert here. Does this all sound correct to everyone?

Edited by goaliemanshark

Hello everyone,

I ordered an x01 thanks to this thread. I ordered two FBV spinners. One 90/75 and one 100/75. The 100/75 I plan on using for my goalie skates and the 90/75 on my sons and mine player skates we both have vapors with ls2 steel and holders. I sharpened my goalie skates and they felt awesome at practice. Almost a little too much edge. When I tried the 90/75 on my Vapors I had excellent glide but felt like no edges. I blew edges on tight turns. I'm pretty sure I lined up the blade correctly to the wheel. We normally skate 1/2 on regular hollows. Perhaps I should try I different spinner? How would the 100/75 be on our player skates? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The majority of guys on my team were used to skating on 1/2" hollows and almost all of them prefer the 95/75, one prefers the 100/50 and one other guy skates on 90/75 like I do. 100/75 will have a lot more bite, much more like 3/8".

The majority of guys on my team were used to skating on 1/2" hollows and almost all of them prefer the 95/75, one prefers the 100/50 and one other guy skates on 90/75 like I do. 100/75 will have a lot more bite, much more like 3/8".

Thanks for the reply Chadd. I guess I'll try the 100/75 and if it's too much bite I'll order a 95/75 spinner.

has anyone thought about using the Wissota Dust collector with their X01 or X02? I just got mine set up on a work bench last night, and this seems like a good solution to not having something at the end of the portable skate sharpener.

Just throwing my thoughts out there

Zach

Definitely not going to read 101 pages here, but I just read the last 5 or so. This x0-1 machine is really tempting.

I just watched the video on Vimeo:

Honestly, it looks like something that could be picked up pretty quickly.

One quick question though... what do you do if you need to crossgrind for whatever reason?

Edited by OptimusReim

Take it to a shop and have them cross grind it. Short of badly pitted steel, you shouldn't need to cross grind your skates anyway.

Take it to a shop and have them cross grind it. Short of badly pitted steel, you shouldn't need to cross grind your skates anyway.

Got it, that's all I was wondering :)

Maybe I'll buy one for my birthday in April :)

Sorry if it was already said, does any one know what FBV is closet to a 1/2 hallow ? I don't know too much about skate sharpening and I'm considering giving FBV a try sometime. Want to make the transition as slowly as possible. Thanks

Sorry if it was already said, does any one know what FBV is closet to a 1/2 hallow ? I don't know too much about skate sharpening and I'm considering giving FBV a try sometime. Want to make the transition as slowly as possible. Thanks

So if the blade is not coming out level how do I get it level? I have an X01 and don't have access to a cross grinder.

You shouldn't need a cross grinder. Just adjust your holder by how much you are off by and sharpen the skate again, then see if you are closer. Rinse and repeat.