Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

cool............also...i absolutely love my 100/50, everything is fantastic....but i wouldnt mind trying another set of spinner just for the sake of it....i could handle even more bite as im a very aggressive skater... how many options do i have if i want to go beyond 100/50 in terms of bite? i believe 95/75 is the next step....and then 100/75 is the final destination in terms of bite.. correct me if im wrong.

anyone tried those last 2 spinners? any thoughts?

I've said this a few times, almost of the guys I sharpen came from 1/2" and most thought that 100/50 didn't have enough bite. One stuck with 100/50 and everyone else went to 95/75. 100/75 has a lot of bite, way too much for all of my guys.

So I tried a 90/50 coming from a 3/4" hollow and felt like it had too much bite. What would be a step below that?

Are you looking for something that is available on the X series, or just in general?

So I tried a 90/50 coming from a 3/4" hollow and felt like it had too much bite. What would be a step below that?

I'd also be 100% sure that you actually received a 90/50 the last time. I've used 90/50 for a while and every once in a while I ask for a 90/50, but get something else that has significantly more bite. I notice right away and go back and get it cut properly at 90/50 the next day. I'm not sure why it happens (someone forgets what I asked for, didn't want to change the spinner and didn't think I'd notice, misheard me ect., but it unfortunately has happened a few times).

Before switching to FBV I was using a 7/8 regular hollow and 3/4 before that. I first tried the 90/75 FBV and that felt like a bit too much bite, but the 90/50 works well for me and I don't know of a shallower spinner that's readily available at most places.

Are you looking for something that is available on the X series, or just in general?

Just generally speaking.

I'd also be 100% sure that you actually received a 90/50 the last time. I've used 90/50 for a while and every once in a while I ask for a 90/50, but get something else that has significantly more bite. I notice right away and go back and get it cut properly at 90/50 the next day. I'm not sure why it happens (someone forgets what I asked for, didn't want to change the spinner and didn't think I'd notice, misheard me ect., but it unfortunately has happened a few times).

Before switching to FBV I was using a 7/8 regular hollow and 3/4 before that. I first tried the 90/75 FBV and that felt like a bit too much bite, but the 90/50 works well for me and I don't know of a shallower spinner that's readily available at most places.

You may be right. Skating wasn't an issue, just when it came to stopping, wasn't able to glide - just caught edge and topple over. Could be I just need to adjust a bit and get accustomed to it.

I went to one of the available spots close to me. Maybe I'll try the other to see if there's a difference.

I think Ruby wheels have more bite, however if you really want to improve your speed you got to stay with orange wheels. Don't forget orange wheels should be sharpened before each game if you want to get the most out of their glide.

I should have probably deleted that post. It was late and I thought the guy had by accident posted something about Roller Skates when referring to wheels ;) So, I replied as a joke with some nonsense ;) I did not realize was he was talking about stones for X series machine ;)))

FBV does have a feeling that you got no edge at times. It seems like it's skipping sometimes. I think it's getting used to type of thing.

I'm about to shift over to FBV from ROH for the first time and would like some advice given my specific situation.

I'm a reasonably heavy guy (100kg) and current have my skates sharpened at 3/8" ROH, just because I always have done. The general consensus seems to be that I could drop down to 1/2" given my weight and I'd see some benefit. The ice I skate on is hard, often very cut up, poor quality ice.

Given my situation, do you think I would I better off going with 100/75 (3/8" equivalent) or giving 100/50 (1/2" equivalent) a try first time round on FBV?

I'm about to shift over to FBV from ROH for the first time and would like some advice given my specific situation.

I'm a reasonably heavy guy (100kg) and current have my skates sharpened at 3/8" ROH, just because I always have done. The general consensus seems to be that I could drop down to 1/2" given my weight and I'd see some benefit. The ice I skate on is hard, often very cut up, poor quality ice.

Given my situation, do you think I would I better off going with 100/75 (3/8" equivalent) or giving 100/50 (1/2" equivalent) a try first time round on FBV?

If you were not chattering on the 3/8 or if they felt good right after a sharpening, I would recommend you try the 100/75. Should be a seamless transition. Basically both those setting have the same amount of speed, so you now just have to decide the amount of bite you like. You can also try the 100/50 and compare. There's also the 95/1 which is in the middle of those.

Edited by jimmy

i'm thinking of trying FBV as well. I normally use 5/8th ROH. what would give me the same glide but with more bite in a fbv?

Try the 100/50 or the 92/75. The FBV flat gives glide like a 2" hollow so you'll be wicked fast.

When you are trying to find an edge in FBV similar to your ROH, the number you are looking for is the "edge angle" or "bite angle". So if you skate on a 3/8" ROH then your bite angle (assuming you are on 3mm runners) is about 81-82 degrees, so finding a FBV cut with a similar bite angle will give you the feel you're looking for. Anyone who has taken trigonometry has "completed the triangle", which is how the bite angle is derived. This PDF of Blackstone's page will tell you more than you want to know about angles and depths.

http://www.blackstonesport.com/technical_data.pdf

Wish I could try these out nice and proper in Vancouver. The best place is two towns away in Surrey and the closest place is Sportchek which I would never give my skates to. Wish Cyclone Taylor's would carry 'em.

If you were not chattering on the 3/8 or if they felt good right after a sharpening, I would recommend you try the 100/75. Should be a seamless transition. Basically both those setting have the same amount of speed, so you now just have to decide the amount of bite you like. You can also try the 100/50 and compare. There's also the 95/1 which is in the middle of those.

3/8 ROH and 100/75 FBV have the same speed? I was under the impression the FBV would be more

3/8 ROH and 100/75 FBV have the same speed? I was under the impression the FBV would be more

I meant that the different FBVs have same amount of speed, the main difference between the settings is the amount of bite. 3/8 ROH has little speed. The 100/75 has same amount of bite but WAY more speed.

Skated on 100/75 FBV last night (coming from 3/8 ROH) and it was far too much bite for me, it was like skating in treacle.

Going to move down to 100/50 or even 90/75 to see if that is any better.

90/75 is a big jump, closer to 5/8. 95/75 is very popular among my guys, only one is on 100/50 and only a couple are on 90/75, including me.

Skated on 100/75 FBV last night (coming from 3/8 ROH) and it was far too much bite for me, it was like skating in treacle.

Going to move down to 100/50 or even 90/75 to see if that is any better.

Are you sure it was a true 100/75 and not some shop with the imposter BFD telling you they do the FBV? In my 4 yrs doing FBV's not one who was on 3/8 hollow thought 100/75 was too sharp. It's pretty much spot on the same.

Are you sure it was a true 100/75 and not some shop with the imposter BFD telling you they do the FBV? In my 4 yrs doing FBV's not one who was on 3/8 hollow thought 100/75 was too sharp. It's pretty much spot on the same.

I've been getting FBV 100/75 for a while now. I used to skate on ROH 7/16. IMO, the bite of 100/75 feels very similar to 7/16, but with much more glide

Edited by Mikej411

As far as I know yeah, never skated on FBV before so I couldn't be sure.

If the sharpener doesn't give him a clean edge it's going to feel rougher...maybe that's what he's feeling.

Skating backwards and forwards was great, it just felt that turning was a lot more responsive, but I was losing a lot of momentum than before. Is that expected with FBV?

As far as I know yeah, never skated on FBV before so I couldn't be sure.

Skating backwards and forwards was great, it just felt that turning was a lot more responsive, but I was losing a lot of momentum than before. Is that expected with FBV?

Don't think so. Should feel the opposite. The biggest advantage to FBV is increased glide.. the opposite of "losing momentum".

• Like 1