Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

I order my Blackstone X-02 Portable machine today, and looking forward to getting it and using it. There isn't any place within 45 minutes that does the FBV, and they are super unreliable and busy.

What is the best way to learn how to sharpen without wasting too much steel? I haven't really sharpened skates much before. I am getting a blademaster BT100 from a friend who works at a LHS.

Any good videos or advise people have would be greatly appreciated

You'll find lots of good info in this thread: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/42307-blackstone-flat-bottom-v-thread/ Practice on an old/discarded skate - ask at your rink or your teammates if you don't have an old pair to practice on. When you start to feel like you've got the hang of it do your own skates. The feedback you get using them will drive what adjustments you need to make to fine tune your process. A lot of it is feel. Practice, practice, practice.

You'll find lots of good info in this thread: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/42307-blackstone-flat-bottom-v-thread/ Practice on an old/discarded skate - ask at your rink or your teammates if you don't have an old pair to practice on. When you start to feel like you've got the hang of it do your own skates. The feedback you get using them will drive what adjustments you need to make to fine tune your process. A lot of it is feel. Practice, practice, practice.

Thanks this is great!!!

I have been using my X02 for about 18 months and couldn't be happier with it. However, I am finding that I am going through grinding wheels more frequently than others in this thread. I assume I am not dressing the wheel properly. Can someone provide some advice - i.e. do I turn the spinner and stop at the first sign of contact? How long before I back the spinner off of the wheel?

I have been using my X02 for about 18 months and couldn't be happier with it. However, I am finding that I am going through grinding wheels more frequently than others in this thread. I assume I am not dressing the wheel properly. Can someone provide some advice - i.e. do I turn the spinner and stop at the first sign of contact? How long before I back the spinner off of the wheel?

I typically will slowly move the spinner into the wheel until contact is made. Once it connects I wait until the spinner has stopped spinning, then I repeat the process. I sharpen machines at a store and typically dress the stone until the black line that develops on the stone is gone or at least has faded significantly. This may differ for you however since your doing no where near the volume.

Hi,

I have a x-01 sharpener for over 4 years. I normally use the orange grinding wheels, but recently purchase the ruby wheels. I am having an issue of the grinding wheel not holding its dressing after a few passes of the skate. It seems like the wheel is very soft compared to the orange. I have never had an issue before and have been sharpening skates for over 10 years. is it possible I have a bad batch of ruby wheels (bought 3 and scared to try the other 2)? I am also not able to achieve a proper sharpening with the ruby, and unfortunately I am out of orange wheels. any help would be appreciated

cheers

Question here:

I've some of the suggestions here, and have studied the chart, but can not come to a decision: Is there anything that grips like the 100/75, but glides more? Like a 110/75 in theory? Or is there something with slightly less grip, but more glide? I see the 95/75 on the chart, but I am reading here that it is a drastic change in grip/bite.

Any anecdotal experience appreciated.

Zach

110 would grip even more...remember the two numbers work with each other to determine the feel. At 110, the fangs would be even more pronounced as they are more upright. 95/75 will have less bite and better glide because the fangs are flatter.

Reason why you don't see over 100 for hockey is because of the blade thickness. I remember discussions with Steve and them trying wider flats on figure skates because the blade's thicker. That's also why A-Trap uses different flats for 3mm and 4mm steel.

Alright, thanks JR. That makes sense. I have the 95/75 spinner, I will give it a try.

Are any of the other combinations that provide slightly less grip than the 100/75 with more glide? Or is 95/75 the next closest?

Zach

Most of my guys that wanted more grip than 90/75 or 100/50 gave them and less than 100/75 went with 95/75. Once you change the second number, a whole bunch of other "feel" factors get involved and make it hard to compare.

Going to try this out. Have always used a 1/2" ROH. Think I am going to go with 95/75. Place I will get them done at says they do X5 to X9 (X5, X6, X7....) in terms of sharpness. Anyone know which one I should get?

Going to try this out. Have always used a 1/2" ROH. Think I am going to go with 95/75. Place I will get them done at says they do X5 to X9 (X5, X6, X7....) in terms of sharpness. Anyone know which one I should get?

X8 would be a good place to start.

Since X* isn't FBV -- it's Bladmaster's BFD system -- you'd probably have a lot better luck starting (or finding) a thread on BFD for your answer.

95/75 is FBV, which requires a different machine from the one your shop describes.

Get a different place to sharpen your skates, that is Blademaster's attempt to copy the FBV.

Since X* isn't FBV -- it's Bladmaster's BFD system -- you'd probably have a lot better luck starting (or finding) a thread on BFD for your answer.

95/75 is FBV, which requires a different machine from the one your shop describes.

It doesn't require a different machine, just a different dressing tool and the correct spinners. Blademaster lists the X6 as 3/8 - 1/2, X7 as 1/2-3/4 and X8 as 3/4-1". That's a pretty wide range on all of them.

• Like 1

90/75 FBV with a 9/11 dual radius

Specs of the blades on some skates used skates I purchased.

How much different will this feel compared to my regular stock 7/16 sharpening with stock step steel (believe it is 10" radius)?

90/75 FBV with a 9/11 dual radius

Specs of the blades on some skates used skates I purchased.

How much different will this feel compared to my regular stock 7/16 sharpening with stock step steel (believe it is 10" radius)?

I am on a 90/75 with 8/12 custom radius and it was a bit of an adjustment initially especially with the front being pitched forward a bit. It should feel not too terrible though and you should be able to adjust within a skate or two.

90/75 seemed to be way too much bite for me. Of course I was using them on a surface I don't usually skate on, a much higher quality surface. Likely just going to stick with what I have for now as there aren't many places in Vancouver that offer the FBV.

90/75 seemed to be way too much bite for me. Of course I was using them on a surface I don't usually skate on, a much higher quality surface. Likely just going to stick with what I have for now as there aren't many places in Vancouver that offer the FBV.

I live in Richmond, and got them done at Sportchek. I only get them done by 2 guys there though. If they aren't there, I won't get them sharpened.

90/75 had too much bite compared to 7/16? Something is not right with that, unless the ice was a lot softer. You may like the grip of the x/50 a little more. Something like the 100/50 maybe.

90/75 had too much bite compared to 7/16? Something is not right with that, unless the ice was a lot softer. You may like the grip of the x/50 a little more. Something like the 100/50 maybe.

It might not actually be 7/16th that I normally get it done at. I just drop the skates off and pick them up. I'll have to ask next time for confirmation. I was told that 7/16th is standard so I assumed that my regular sharpen is a 7/16th.