Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Yesterday evening my eight year old goalie was moaning about his dull edges and there was no chance to get them sharpened until todays training.

So i decided yesterday to do my first sharpening for an official training before i had the chance for a test on the ice during a public skating.

Wow i`m a lucky guy.

He wants them sharpened again the same way for the next time. He said that his skates are very sharp but he likes them that way.

I sharpened them 1/2" ROH with my new X-02. He usually gets them sharpened 1/2" or what is named a players-cut. The result was different depending from shop to shop or from sharpening-guy to sharpening-guy and uneven edges have been usual.

I´m looking forward to get more experiance and to test FBV.

Congrats, having a happy "customer" always makes you feel good about your work.

I'm not convinced Skatemate is confused, I find it hard to believe they got the design all the way to production without someone realizing the mistake.

Instead, I think it's marketing double-talk to hide the truth about their product: its nothing more than a glorified hand hone that stones both sides of the blade at once, & does effectivly nothing inside the hollow. I wonder if they found out early in the design that if they tried to match the radius of the hollow, it often did more harm than good. Either because it was too complicated to design something that tightly kept it perfectly centered for the slightly different thickness blades, or maybe it wiped out the high side edge in un-evenly sharpened blades. Not to mention what would happen if someone had a deeper hollow than they thought. So they took the easy way out & designed something that would seem to work as advertised, but actually never really gets close to the edges within the hollow. So nobody ends up with a worse edge than they started with. Then when someone caught on & questioned it, they let the marketing department handle the answer.

Or maybe your right & I'm just giving them too much credit.

I was having trouble with my machine the other day and hand honed 6 pair of skates for guys on the team that gave me their skates. The funny thing is that most of them never would have known that I didn't use the machine. Then again, I did use three different stones, including a knife sharpening block, and most of them did end up with pretty nice edges.

I just bought the X-01 because I live in the middle of nowhere, is it absolutely essential to cross grind a new pair of skates or would 10 or so passes on the machine be sufficient? It fit my budget and I never factored in having a bunch of new skates with my boys growing like weeds.

Edited by nunavut

I just bought the X-01 because I live in the middle of nowhere, is it absolutely essential to cross grind a new pair of skates or would 10 or so passes on the machine be sufficient? It fit my budget and I never factored in having a bunch of new skates with my boys growing like weeds.

You don't need to cross grind new skates at all.

Generally, it will just take a bunch of extra passes.

.What I have always done with new steel is to basically do a regular sharpen twice. The first one is slightly deeper that what the final sharpen would be. Between the first and second sharpen, I'd let the steel rest (i.e. cool down) so as not to over heat with several additional passes. For example, I skate on a 3/4" ROH. When I get new steel, I will sharpen (4-5 passes) at 5/8" ROH, wait about a half hour to hour and do the final sharpen at 3/4" ROH. I try to never do more than 5 passes when sharpening.

Today, after some practice with 1/2"ROH for my boys skates (the player and the older goalie are happy with their skates and the younger goalie finds them too sharp), I did the change to 95/75FBV. It was quite a lot of passes and redressings for the goalie skates to lose the ROH and get even edges. I could produce even and sharp edges to all their skates.

Unfortunately the ice-condition during the public-skate on our outside-rink has been terrible today (soft ice with snow). All of my boys have been able to skate fast with stops, quick turns and shuffles. After half an our on the ice the skates are still in a good and sharp condition without losing an edge. Due to the bad ice my kids have not been able to tell me whether they like the new sharpening on their skates or not. I think i have to wait until they had some training-sessions on our inside-rink during the next week.

Today i tried a tip from another hockey-dad who plays amateur-hockey himself to use a water/alcohol solution based spray as a lubricant and coolant for the sharpening. Its working ok and could be a solution to my calibration problem on the goalie-skates, which probably is caused by a heat-dependant expansion of the steel.

Now, one week, three training sessions and one tournament later i can tell you about my boys experience. All of them adjusted to the FBV within one our. The six year old player had an amazing improvement on his skating technique. The speed on skating forward was not the issue but he had a big improvement on the speed skating backwards, making transitions, turns and agility, just like he was dancing nimbly on the ice.

The six year old goalie had a noticable improvement on his skating-technique and was satisfied with his skates beeing just right and not too sharp anymore.

The eight year old goalie had an amazing improvement on his agility and skating speed. During a training session with player gear and goalie-skates, my wife heard one trainer saying to another that he has never seen a kid with goalie-skates skating better than him. He could tell me very differentiated about his experience. He says that the biggest inprovement was to have more agility, maneuverability and speed. The edges are just right for him and he told me that he had an improvement on pushing for butterfly-slides. I told him about the option to test a 90/75 or a 100/75 FBV but he wants to stay with the 95/75.

At the moment there is no reason to go back to ROH. Lets wait for the long-time-experience.

It seems to me that kids get a bigger benefit from FBV than adults. What are your experiences with kids and FBV ?

Edited by hockeydad3

Finally got my X01!

I have some beginner questions:

1. How often should I dress the wheel? Or how can I realise that it's time to dress?

2. What should I do to get really smooth result? Cuz now my blades sharpen little bit "wavy"... Is there some way to get smooth surface probably?

Thanks in advance!

Finally got my X01!
I have some beginner questions:
1. How often should I dress the wheel? Or how can I realise that it's time to dress?
2. What should I do to get really smooth result? Cuz now my blades sharpen little bit "wavy"... Is there some way to get smooth surface probably?
Thanks in advance!

I usually dress for every pair, or for every skate if I have to fix a lot of problems on the steel. More consistent speed and pressure should reduce/eliminate the waves. A finishing product like an oil or wax on the last pass will also help.

Hey guys. I've been a lurker for a while, but this is my first post. I've read through much of this topic, but likely haven't read every post on the 115 pages so I apologize if any of this is repetitious.

I just bought a new X-02 from Blackstone. I ordered with it a 1/2" ROH spinner, as well as a 95/75 spinner (with advice from this board, and I personally really like the cut).

I, personally, am very happy with the quality and build of the sharpener. I have been sharpening my own skates for a couple of years with a large Blademaster, and now that I've figured out the differences in the holder and Bat-Gauge from what I was used to, I am able to put a good, level, polished edge on a runner just as fast and easily as I could the biggun'.

I'd also like to comment on the Bat-Gauge. I don't know if they've updated the design recently of anything, but I personally much prefer it to the Blademaster Pro Square that is used at my rink. I really like that it is more easily used with one hand. The only thing I can see that might throw people off is that you really need to flip one end of the part that touches the edge with your finger to make sure it's set properly on the edges. Doing that, I get pretty much the exact same readings on the Pro Square as on the Bat Gauge, and I don't have to fumble with two different pieces. Anyway, my &.02. I would not discourage anyone from getting the Bat Gauge.

Anyway, like I said above, I have one FBV and one ROH spinner. Ideally I'd like to have a variety of at least 4 spinners each to choose from. With ROH I'll probably go with 3/8, 5/8 and 3/4, along with the 1/2" I have. What FBV cuts would you recommend for the same kind of variety?

(Edit) and yes, I know there are several cuts available equivalent to each ROH (bite-wise), but I just want to dumb it down a little so if someone tells me, "woah, that's too much, man," I can dial it back a tad and visa versa. Thanks

Edited by JagrBombs

Ok newer to ice but wanted to try the fbv sharpening. I read through more than half this thread before deciding that I think I'll go with the 100/50 as I enjoy a 9/16th hollow and the ice here is still very hard and luckily most of the rinks I'll be playing on are maintained very well.

There were only two places near me that were listed to have it, one I don't trust and another one that was over an hour away so I was delighted to see the local rink had it. I got in there and I see the blademaster sign for whatever their flat sharpening is and I see all blademaster machines. I was dissapointed and just went for a regular roh. Looks like I'll be giving bob the call.

Ok newer to ice but wanted to try the fbv sharpening. I read through more than half this thread before deciding that I think I'll go with the 100/50 as I enjoy a 9/16th hollow and the ice here is still very hard and luckily most of the rinks I'll be playing on are maintained very well.

There were only two places near me that were listed to have it, one I don't trust and another one that was over an hour away so I was delighted to see the local rink had it. I got in there and I see the blademaster sign for whatever their flat sharpening is and I see all blademaster machines. I was dissapointed and just went for a regular roh. Looks like I'll be giving bob the call.

What would have been the downside of trying it?

I've been using the 100/50 for a while now and really like the bite it provides.

I'm curious, those who own their own sharpener, how did you learn how to sharpen?

Ok newer to ice but wanted to try the fbv sharpening. Looks like I'll be giving bob the call.

Just met bob tuesday, had a combo radius, and my 1st FBV done.

When he handed me the blades the sharpen was very straight and very smooth (except for the edge of course).

Very ez to deal with, and very helpful in helping make a decision.

Tried out the new runners yesterday (100/50- usually a 1/2"roh), and they really performed.

Smoother glide, and sharper turns.

Not sure what portion of the work did what, but I'm very happy with the results....and that was on a sheet that was in fairly rough/ bumpy shape. I wouldn't hesitate giving his work 2 thumbs up.

Blackstone has videos on their website showing us how to sharpen.....pretty damn easy.

Gonna have to give those a watch. Thanks for the heads up.

Tell me please. How to put spinner? inscription on spinners to the bronze washer or vice versa? X-02.

FBV spinners are symmetrical, it shouldn't matter. I put the number up.

FBV spinners are symmetrical, it shouldn't matter. I put the number up.

On the minis, yes, because it sits in the aluminum casing and the screw is what has the pin.

However, can't do it on the big machines - number's gotta be up on that because it's the opposite, the pin's on the machine and the drag cap is flush with the top edge of the spinner.