Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgoblue

Biggest Busts

np. Curtis is the last name of the inventor. He licenses the design out.

Was the advantage of this handle obvious when you played goalie? Better control, and less chance of losing your stick when throwing out a poke check I suppose?

Was the advantage of this handle obvious when you played goalie? Better control, and less chance of losing your stick when throwing out a poke check I suppose?

The advantage is when a goalie lays his stick on the ice.

The advantage is when a goalie lays his stick on the ice.

Exactly, you can go paddle down and the shaft is flat on the ice.

As far as I can tell the advantages would be lesser likelihood of losing the stick on a pokecheck, clearance off the ice to make the stick easier to pick up, and the ability to have your blocker sit on the ice when putting your stick along the ice (parallel to the ice).

It wasn't really a bust but more of a gimmick that didn't take off...the blue rubber on the blades of Hespeler composite sticks. It's purpose was supposed to be the same as the si-core.

Adding to the Mission innovation (and I know its roller stuff, but still):

Vibe Chassis

714 Glove with removable/adjustable cuffs (although I liked these gloves a lot,never caught on)

Also, any Combination of half cage/half visor or half visor/half cage.

And CCM skates with the swappable chassis of an ice blade to a roller chassis (can't remember the name)

It wasn't really a bust but more of a gimmick that didn't take off...the blue rubber on the blades of Hespeler composite sticks. It's purpose was supposed to be the same as the si-core.

It worked ten times better than the si-core.

i also heard for those curtis sticks... some goalies need to flip the stick around to shoot the puck (theodore), instead of the traditional sliding your hand up (turco dipietro and most other goalies). People like thodore use the trapper at the top of the stick, and the hook provides more leverage so its easier to shoot.

The bend at the top was so the knob didnt keep the shaft off the ice.

Do they still make those "trigger finger" paddles on goalie sticks?

Mission Carbster and three finger gloves. Great products, people just weren't ready for them at the time.

I still use Mission 3 fingers for inline. It's a shame they're crusty now, but they were top gloves. I just bought some X70's and it feels very odd having 4 fingers. Will take a bit of getting used to.

And that Locjaw brings back memories!

i also heard for those curtis sticks... some goalies need to flip the stick around to shoot the puck (theodore), instead of the traditional sliding your hand up (turco dipietro and most other goalies). People like thodore use the trapper at the top of the stick, and the hook provides more leverage so its easier to shoot.

Christian had the "Curtis Curve" first I believe. I had a red one, Beaupre pattern. You were supposed to hold the stick at the bend which took a lot of pressure off your wrist/forearm, and kept your blocker in better position. The only problem was you couldn't handle hard drives on the ice while holding it there. The stick would spin and most of the time go though you. Poke checking was thrown off considerably. The top bend was supposed to make it easier to pick up off the ice. It also added a ton a leverage which made shooting with it awesome lol. They should have dropped the handle curve and had a straight shaft with the top bend only. That would have been highly illegal but awesome.

It wasn't legal, he couldnt have used it... and I think they still make them.

im pretty sure andy moog used one for a while in his bruin days...

You are correct sir. I was going to mention that :P

Thought Vic had it first.

Yeah, but but overdrive blades have been used to and they aren't legal. ;) Things have gotten tighter.

Yeah, but but overdrive blades have been used too and they aren't legal. ;)

Cool article about what the Overdrive Blades are

overdrive%20closeup.jpg

http://www.cariboo.bc.ca/news/Past02Mar25/...overdriveD.html

While the Overdrive blade has been a hit with goaltenders from Toronto to London, it didn’t meet the approval of the National Hockey League, which banned the blade for the 2001 season because it was deemed performance-enhancing equipment.

Dave Dryden, the NHL’s consultant on goalie equipment, and a former goaltender himself, said the Overdrive was banned because it was not used for protection, but simply for performance.

Many professional goaltenders were using the Overdrive at the time of the ban, including Jean-Sebastien Aubin of the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins and Patrick Lalime of the Ottawa Senators.

I still swear by OD blades for any goalie who's had knee or hip problems. I'm OK in that respect, but I know a lot of senior-level goalies for whom they're a major benefit. Joint insurance.

The ban was horribly ill-advised - they were still letting Garth Snow staple roofing shingles to his shoulders at the time - and will probably be overturned at some point.

Easton T-Flex system, at the time it seemed gimmicky but probably set the course or tapered shafts/blades we see today. Agree or disagree?

Easton T-Flex system, at the time it seemed gimmicky but probably set the course or tapered shafts/blades we see today. Agree or disagree?

Agreed. At the time tapered blades were damn hard to find. I thought it was going the way of the Betamax or Laserdisc.

Never thought it was a gimmick, especially after I tried it. The original synergy was just a t-flex.

But its not a bust?

It was at retail.