Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tdjb

Mission fuel 90 XP's...

I found a review on pretty much every other mission skate except for the fuel 90 xp, are the other xp type skates close enough to use them as a comparison?

I've been browsing skates for a bit now and finally pulled the trigger on these today so I'm curious on what I really will be getting. I'm coming from old Bauer air 50's in an 8.5 and am kind of worried about the mission sizing. I ordered the xp's in a 10 because that's what I wear in a dress shoe (10.5's in my normal shoes), any guesses on if that will work? I know I need to try these on but where I live there are no hockey shops so I'm stuck with online purchases.

It's not going to fit properly

Is that because of the boot shape or the actual size is just wrong? Basically my backup plan was if it doesn't fit to just put them up on e-bay since there are no returns on clearance items or try craigslist.

I really miss having local hockey stores to buy stuff from...

A lot of the search results here say to stick with your shoe size or at maybe 1/2 size down, do you have any tips on sizing? They have many sizes available so I might be able to adjust my order. I was just using the mission size chart so that is why I went with the size I did.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A lot of the search results here say to stick with your shoe size or at maybe 1/2 size down, do you have any tips on sizing? They have many sizes available so I might be able to adjust my order. I was just using the mission size chart so that is why I went with the size I did.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have yet to see an online site that has an accurate Mission sizing chart.

Isn't Mission sizing same as shoe size? I think the last pair of Missions I bought I wore a 9D, 10.5 shoe size. But my Synergy Ice skates I wear an 8, like them to be pretty snug.

Isn't Mission sizing same as shoe size? I think the last pair of Missions I bought I wore a 9D, 10.5 shoe size. But my Synergy Ice skates I wear an 8, like them to be pretty snug.

You just contradicted yourself. Shoe size is too unreliable to use as a benchmark for skate buying in any case.

You just contradicted yourself. Shoe size is too unreliable to use as a benchmark for skate buying in any case.

I meant to say I think they reccomend 1 size smaller than shoe size but I like my skates to be a little tighter. Either way if you buy skates online without trying them on in a store you're asking for trouble.

I meant to say I think they reccomend 1 size smaller than shoe size but I like my skates to be a little tighter. Either way if you buy skates online without trying them on in a store you're asking for trouble.

I realize that but there are literally no stores around here to try stuff on at. There is a play-it-again where most of the skates are older then my air 50's (and generally low end skates) and then there is the shop at the rink that has 3-4 models, none of which I'm interested in. Trust me, coming from Denver to here I was very surprised at the lack of pro shops around but I can't do anything about that.

For the guys who have worn missions before, what size would you suggest for someone who wears a 10-10.5 shoe? That size is pretty consistent through most brands for me. Some of the search results here say "stick with your shoe size" while others say "go down a size" and even some others I found said they had gone down a size and a half.

I realize that but there are literally no stores around here to try stuff on at. There is a play-it-again where most of the skates are older then my air 50's (and generally low end skates) and then there is the shop at the rink that has 3-4 models, none of which I'm interested in. Trust me, coming from Denver to here I was very surprised at the lack of pro shops around but I can't do anything about that.

For the guys who have worn missions before, what size would you suggest for someone who wears a 10-10.5 shoe? That size is pretty consistent through most brands for me. Some of the search results here say "stick with your shoe size" while others say "go down a size" and even some others I found said they had gone down a size and a half.

The problem is that everyone wears their shoes differently. Not to mention the differences in one shoe brand to another.

Well shit, I was hoping the sizing chart would be somewhat accurate, guess we'll see when they get here. My only other option is to drop down to a 9 which I'm worried would be way to small.

I fit into 8.5 Missions and wear a 10 dress shoe and 10.5 running shoe, but like others have stated everyone wears their shoes differently. Unfortunately I do think the 10s you ordered will be too big.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. They let me change my order to a size 9 (only others they had in stock) so we'll see how those do.

Aside from all of this sizing stuff does anyone have some real world reviews on these skates?

Got the skates and they seem to fit well. I've only taken them out for one session but plan on doing the full review once I've had more time in them.

:(

Well, the length of the boot and the width at the base of my feet seem to be ok, but the ankle area is killing me after two uses. I understand this is a much stiffer skate then what I previously used, but I'm worried these are not the skates for me. I have major pain on the bone on the inside of my left ankle and average pain on the inside bone on my right ankle. I checked out the inside of the skate and it seems that these areas have run out of padding. By that I mean that all of the padding is compressed so the bone is in direct contact with the hard material from the boot. Is there a remedy for this? Is this where punching comes in?

Any solution will have to be a DIY type thing because again, there are no local stores really around here.

Cutting Edge Sports (The pro shop out at the rink) can do some minor work for you as far as punching them if you need it you also might want to bite the bullet and pay to have them bake them for you. The boot is bakeable for 5 minutes. The big guy with the goatee (I forget his name) is probably the best tech they have. Is it the ankle itself or is it a protruding navicular that is causing most of the problem? I know comapered to Denver that the shop is not much and I don't care for their normal skate selection but they are pretty willing to work with you even on internet purchases.

Cutting Edge Sports (The pro shop out at the rink) can do some minor work for you as far as punching them if you need it you also might want to bite the bullet and pay to have them bake them for you. The boot is bakeable for 5 minutes. The big guy with the goatee (I forget his name) is probably the best tech they have. Is it the ankle itself or is it a protruding navicular that is causing most of the problem? I know comapered to Denver that the shop is not much and I don't care for their normal skate selection but they are pretty willing to work with you even on internet purchases.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm just going to go back to bauer though (I think), that's what I'm in now and have been for along time.

The problem is the protruding navicular bone, not the actual ankle. The "middle" of the bone (part that sticks out the most) is right on the edge of the actual ankle pad/pocket inside the skate (near the eyelet) as opposed to somewhere near the center. It's almost as if the boot is not deep enough for my foot to line up properly inside of it.

I might stop by the shop out there and see what they can do about the one55's I'm looking at though.

I had that same problem for many years in ski boots and my inlines. I know that the shop is not carying a full line but you might want to look at the old Bauer 8000's that they have out there if the SUpreme line is your thing. They are a couple of years old but are a great boot. And good luck.