Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
johnpace2

Switching Holder Sizes---263mm to 254mm

I usually wear about a size 7-7.5. However, in One95 (custom) I'm 6.25 and 5.5 (left and right). I'm used to being on 263mm and have been for awhile. Bauer can fit a 263mm on the L no problem, on the right, they can do it, but it will hang off the front and back a little bit.

Will it be weird if I go down to a 254mm? I know a short blade will probably affect my stride, I'm just not sure how much.

Opinions? Should I just have Bauer force the 263mm on there?

Thanks!

Just get 254 w/ LS2.1. Should feel like a 263. Problem solved.

Actually JR I had a similar situation and went the longer ones. I just shaved the extra plastic off on the cross grind it fit just fine.

I also did Kristen King's skates (Team USA Women's Team) and she had a 1.5 skate and I put a size 3 Tuuk holder and runner on there. Worked very very well.

It just takes some trimming.

Also JR did you look at "Dannys" skates they had 280's on there and were trimmed to fit.

I know, I know it can be done. I mounted Danny's first ONE90s and I shaved the excess w/ the crossgrinder.

But if having an oversized holder on there bothers him, he could go the 254 and since it is longer steel with the 2.1, come pretty close to a 263 regardless.

I know, I know it can be done. I mounted Danny's first ONE90s and I shaved the excess w/ the crossgrinder.

But if having an oversized holder on there bothers him, he could go the 254 and since it is longer steel with the 2.1, come pretty close to a 263 regardless.

Oh of course not arguing.........I guess in my mind it depends on height weight and such.

What generally would be the difference one would feel in going to a shorter blade. The radius would be the same, but would it have a tighter turning radius, but less glide?

I made the switch and my biggest problem is getting used to the shorter blade, there's time where I get my weight to far forward or backward and it causes me to stumble a bit where if i had the longer runner i would be okay

i recently dropped down a significant holder size, especially since my orginal blades were radiused to be flatter. Any way, it was weird at first, but i got used to it just fine after a skate or two.

WSJo22, just wondering if you've gotten used to the shorter blade yet. I'm considering a smaller skate, and going from 263 to 254. Also, I'd be interested in anyone else's comments. Thanks.

WSJo22, just wondering if you've gotten used to the shorter blade yet. I'm considering a smaller skate, and going from 263 to 254. Also, I'd be interested in anyone else's comments. Thanks.

It shouldn't take too long to adjust at all. Usually it takes 2-3 skates and you'll be comfortable again. I went from 272 on my old skates to 263s and now i'm on 263s with 2.1 steel.

Aside from the comfort level, is there any loss of speed with the shorter blades? Someone told me there would be, but since the radius is the same and the amount of blade that's actually in contact with the ice is relatively small, I'd question whether there should be any loss of speed.

Less steel in contact with the ice slows speed because there's less surface area to distribute the weight. Your ability to turn should be improved... this can be adjusted with a profile job.

I guess my question is, is there really any less steel in contact with the ice with a 254 as opposed to a 263? If the blade is just shorter at the ends, the ends aren't usally in contact with the ice anyway, or are they?

I don't think the holder length was ever my problem...I discovered that a sharpener decided to banana the toe on one of my skates and thats what was causing me problems.... My skates are at the shop now getting lifts put in and new steel so we'll see how it goes when I skate sat.

think about the skating motion, your foot rolls through the length of the blade, so it's in contact with the ice longer on a longer blade. the actual rocker you can get to be the same size, but you still have that extra length you wont roll through.

I went from 255 to 238 and initially thought i was losing extra power. you feel it.

• Like 1

puck it, that makes sense. Preliminarily for me, though, I didn't feel any loss of speed, and the shorter holders had a less "clumsy" feel to them.

• Like 1

Resurrecting thread for a question

If I switch from a 6.5D retail skate (254) to a 263 holder, will the rivet holes need to be modified in any way? It will be LS edge to LS2

On July 28, 2014 at 8:49 AM, t6lock said:

Resurrecting thread for a question

If I switch from a 6.5D retail skate (254) to a 263 holder, will the rivet holes need to be modified in any way? It will be LS edge to LS2

bumping this thread as i would like to know the answer to this also. i'm not sure if it was on here but a while ago i'm sure i remember somebody representing bauer saying that the holes would line up for an easy switch if only going up one holder size, was there any truth to this?

On 11/24/2008 at 4:22 AM, aal said:

puck it, that makes sense. Preliminarily for me, though, I didn't feel any loss of speed, and the shorter holders had a less "clumsy" feel to them.

This is what I think and hope to experience when I switch. And I\ve been skating/playing hockey a long time.
Lets see, fingers crossed.

On 11/23/2008 at 7:30 PM, Wolfpack_1986 said:

think about the skating motion, your foot rolls through the length of the blade, so it's in contact with the ice longer on a longer blade. the actual rocker you can get to be the same size, but you still have that extra length you wont roll through.

I went from 255 to 238 and initially thought i was losing extra power. you feel it.

But afetr a bit, did it become natural again?