Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoublinUp

Un-Written Rules of Hockey

Just Getting back into hockey I feel Like there are probably some things i should know before i go out...I know the Rules of hockey and the way the games played. Not being on the ice for almost 3 years...Im sure there are some things I have forgotten... List some stick time and Pick-up Do's and Dont's!

-bring a light and a dark jersey, but no gray or yellow

-don't drink out of anybody else's water bottle

-don't be a super-shifter, keep your shifts around two minutes or less

-make an effort to back-check

-make an effort to play your position

-don't be one of those constant cherry-pickers every shift you're on the ice

-pass the puck when it's prudent to do so, nobody likes a puck hog

-don't be one of those guys who's always borrowing tape or wax, bring your own

-respect the offside rule

-if there is only one goalie, switch sides halfway thru the game

-dont wind up for huge slappers when there is people infront of you.

-dont steal someone elses puck at the end of game( ive lost about 10 pucks due to this)

Play both ways and put effort into it, but it's not the NHL. If you get beat, then you get beat. Learn from your mistake and move on, there's no need to hook, slash, or trip someone that got around you. Keep your stick on the ice, nothing worse than an asshole that's swinging his stick around like it's some sort of weapon from the middle ages. Control your shots, don't take slappers if you have no accuracy with the shot. Don't take a slapper into a crowd of skaters. Don't skate the puck below the face off circles and wind up on the goalie.

Bring a light and dark sweater with you, black and white would be your best selection. If you have to use other colors than don't bring gray and yellow jerseys. A lot of guys seem to feel this is a good way to only have to bring one jersey because gray and yellow could go either way, it's a prick move and it's confusing on the ice. Don't take other people's space in the locker room, if someone's stuff is there when you show find another space. It's a pain in the ass when you get off the ice and some johny come lately is sitting in your spot trampling your bag with his skates. When you're coming in to dress and when your leaving put your stick some place where it isn't falling on other guys or in the way.

Since jersey selection has been brought up...I'll open this to the floor. I wore my Koivu Finland jersey to pickup one week, Baby Blue. I was told not to wear it again because it was confusing them????

I think it's pretty obviously blue...which is not white.

Now, the time I wore the 2004 Eastern Conf. All Star jersey...I can see that being a problem.

dont show boat. on a break away you can deke. dont celebrate after a goal. give the guys on the other team credit if they play a good shift defensively. learn to lose and be a good sport.

I don't see anything wrong with baby blue, but, then again, I've worn tuxedo jerseys on the ice....

Rule: As you return to the bench, call out the position you had been playing. Not "defense" or "forward" or "wing" or even nothing. It's either "right d" or "left d" or "left wing" or "right wing" or "center". Players have expectations of people roughly playing where they should be positionally, so calling out where you had been playing allows the next person to play where they should be.

Rule: If you're supposed to be playing defense, it's okay to jump into the play offensively, but it's rather selfish to essentially try to become a forward for the shift. I've noticed certain players are habitually guilty of this.

Rule: If you are one the ice for more than 90-120 seconds, you are one lazy SOB who is scared of hard work. In other words, NHL players average 35 to 40 seconds per shift, because they sprint the entire time. So if somebody who is far less fit than NHL players isn't tired after even 90-120 seconds, the only deduction we can make is that person had been coasting while on the ice. And age has nothing to do with it. I'm 46 and still sprint on the ice.

Rule: If you are one the ice for more than 90-120 seconds, you are one lazy SOB who is scared of hard work.

I'm not scared of it, I just don't like it. :)

I'm usually pretty good on my shifts though. The only exceptions are when I get stuck on the wrong side of the ice and everyone else goes for a line change or if I'm on the point during a PP and we're controlling play.

While extra long shifts are never a good thing...the OP is asking about Shinny/Pickup/Drop-in/Stick time...not a League. I think being a shift Nazi and going nuts on guys to get off the ice after :90 is a bit much in those situations.

Depending on the number of extras...it's hard to stick to really short shifts.

In a League with a full team is another thing altogether

I've only been a Nazi when guys are out around five minutes, but if you are skating hard, you CAN'T last 90 seconds easily, regardless whether it's pickup.

I understand if the bench is short, you'll have to conserve energy on the ice. But if there are enough players on the bench and everyone is skating hard, you'll get the same amount of ice time -- it will just be over more shifts. And that's more fun for everyone. Ever had the pickup when you say afterward, "That was really fast today...a lot of fun!"

Rule: If you are one the ice for more than 90-120 seconds, you are one lazy SOB who is scared of hard work.

I'm not scared of it, I just don't like it. :)

I'm usually pretty good on my shifts though. The only exceptions are when I get stuck on the wrong side of the ice and everyone else goes for a line change or if I'm on the point during a PP and we're controlling play.

I don't know if I'm scared of it, I've never tried it. It is my goal to get through life without ever having too.

As to the Finland jersey, I'd rather see that then a light jersey with dark sections or vice versa. I skate semi-regularly with a guy who wears a white with dark sleeves and and shoulders, when he turns sideways, at a quick glance he looks like he is on the dark team.

My pet peeve are the guys who bitch and moan about skaters who aren't good enough to skate with them. It is open hockey, where else is a beginner supposed to get his reps? Oh, and don't make the obvious assumption, I've been skating for 35 of my 38 years...

I've only been a Nazi when guys are out around five minutes, but if you are skating hard, you CAN'T last 90 seconds easily, regardless whether it's pickup.

I understand if the bench is short, you'll have to conserve energy on the ice. But if there are enough players on the bench and everyone is skating hard, you'll get the same amount of ice time -- it will just be over more shifts. And that's more fun for everyone. Ever had the pickup when you say afterward, "That was really fast today...a lot of fun!"

For the most part we go between 2-3 min per shift. There are a few who do 4-5+ and they get chirped for it. I HATE when there is only 1 sub on the bench....you end up getting stuck out for like 7 minutes because every time you turn to go off someone else is just going off.

Since jersey selection has been brought up...I'll open this to the floor. I wore my Koivu Finland jersey to pickup one week, Baby Blue. I was told not to wear it again because it was confusing them????

Now, the time I wore the 2004 Eastern Conf. All Star jersey...I can see that being a problem.

I don't see a problem with blue, and any drop-in I've ever played at has had guys in blue, red, green, and so on jerseys. So it's generally understood that it's colors vs. whites, which is fine with me. My only complaint is guys that wear home sweaters from their league teams which have colored shoulders and are more like 80% white/20% color. In a league game that's fine because you know what your team's sweaters look like, but in drop in it can create situations where someone makes a bad pass because they see the color on the shoulders.

Shift times really depends on the game. I do a lot of lunch hockey drop in and usually there's never more than 2-3 subs per team. So you have to take long shifts and take some rest while you're on the ice. Otherwise no one would ever get any time to rest a bit on the bench.

Do:

- Bring two sticks in case one breaks

Don't:

- Use someone else's stick without asking

This pissed me off last week.

I wear a babyblue Italia jersey to pick up (it just flows with my gear oh so well :P ) and nobody passes to me because they don't know what team I'm on...

I wear a babyblue Italia jersey to pick up (it just flows with my gear oh so well :P ) and nobody passes to me because they don't know what team I'm on...

The reason no one is passing to you is because of you Italy jersey lol

Always congratulate a goalie and tell him good game and stuff tap him on the pad and a good save during the game is nice, and don't be a thomas holmstrom lol.

Leave it all on the ice, when I pay the man I go into the other dressing room and I will give everyone a "good game".

Once more, don't be afraid to tell someone to get off the ice or to stop dicking around!!

Hey now, with my last name and stature, it only fits even more. But + 1 one with congratulating the tendy, I used to play and nothing sucked more than pick-up with no defense.

Oh yeah, all the time. We're lucky enough that the group we get is usually ex pro/college or junior or high-school kids where playing posts isn't a total wash, but I meant more as a tender it was no fun getting 100 shots in 2 hours.

Do:

- Bring two sticks in case one breaks

Don't:

- Use someone else's stick without asking

This pissed me off last week.

Why would anyone even think to do that? I don't get it.

That's pretty stupid of anybody to complain about that, in my opinion. Usually colours like baby blue, yellow, even red can go white or dark where I play, we just figure it out before the game (white and red's versus everybody else) and it doesn't take more than a shift or two for people to figure it out.

The reason no one is passing to you is because of you Italy jersey lol

Always congratulate a goalie and tell him good game and stuff tap him on the pad and a good save during the game is nice, and don't be a thomas holmstrom lol.

Leave it all on the ice, when I pay the man I go into the other dressing room and I will give everyone a "good game".

Once more, don't be afraid to tell someone to get off the ice or to stop dicking around!!

At pickup or shinny, nothing should happen that requires being "left on the ice".

Stick and Puck:

Don't lollygag in front of the net. Shoot and get out of the way so you don't get hit. Then go get your puck out (if you only brought one) when no one is winding up.

Bring more than one puck.

Use the neutral zone to practice skating, stick handling and passing, instead of -- yes, you guessed it -- in front of the net.

If you shoot your puck out of the rink, remember to go fetch it at the end of the session instead of leaving with someone else's.

If you are going to practice deflections, wear full gear. Your body, esp. shins, will thank you later.

Never shoot when someone is fishing pucks out of the net.

If you divide the ice so little kids can practice and shoot on one end, don't go down there and blast slapshots. Stay on the "adult" side.

Most of this seems like common sense, but people never cease to amaze me with the stupid shit they do on the ice.

Okay, now go have fun.