Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoublinUp

Un-Written Rules of Hockey

-don't drink out of anybody else's water bottle

That's right. Bring your own water bottle. Am I being fussy? I think that each player should have his own bottle. With all the colds and flu that's around during the winter, the last thing I want is to catch someone else's crap. I'd estimate that around 1 player out of 5 brings his own bottle. When someone asks for a drink out of my bottle I feel obligated to allow it, just to avoid being alienated. Then the bottle ends up empty before the session is over. And does anyone offer to go refill it? Of course not.

Eveyone should have a bottle in his bag. It requires so little effort.

All good stuff. But my primary rule is don't hack. OK, if a stick hits me, no big deal. But if you're chopping a tree and surprised when my fist hits your face, then you are a moron.

They other week I went to an open and all I had was a red jersey. There was another red so it was White and red vs. black and blue. On the SECOND shift, this older guy on the whites takes the puck from me while i'm in the corner. Just out of reaction I scream "douche i'm on your team". The rest of the shift is played out and I go to the bench. He comes to the bench a few seconds after me.

This guys starts cursing the crap out of me, telling me he demands respect and no one calls him a douche and blah blah. He was turning red, screaming on the top of his lungs. I politly try to tell him it was just a jumpy reaction and didn't mean to insult him. plus it wasn't even the first shift. He doesn't want to listen and starts swinging at me. He acually starts swinging at me. At an open session, for calling him a douche. Not to mention I'm wearing a cage, he's wearing a half shield and I'm 22 and he's like in his late fortys. We scrap a little and the guys on the bench hold him back. Eventually security came and took him off and even the cops came. I don't think he got aressted but he was flipping out. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get SOOOO pissed over being called a douche. If the guy was normal I would have appoligized but he wouldn't even give me a chance. Man some people.

:blink:

ung, honestly though I would have rather had that guy than this one guy I had to deal with at open hockey for two years, that guy doesnt sound like he'll be back any time soon this guy just hung around and never missed a session.... Big, fat, slow, ill tempered, called everyone an asshole if they missed a shot or pass or skated slow, but he was an incredible sniper. If he didn't like you, and he didn't unless you were a friggin retired AHLer, you *WOULD* have a puck in the back of your knee, no matter the color of the jersey you wore, he'd end up taking a shot at you without looking like he did. At 6 foot and 190 I wasn't a small guy out there, I almost dropped him once or twice but he was at least 6'6 and weighed in at about 250 or more. Lazy cuss never got off the ice either, there was many sessions with more than 10 on each bench and he'd be on the bench once, maybe twice in a 90 minute ice time.

At pickup or shinny, nothing should happen that requires being "left on the ice".

I was hoping he was talking about skate hard and leave all your energy on the ice...but now I'm not sure. There is no reason for heated arguments to escalate to anything more during pick-up. That's just stupid.

At pickup or shinny, nothing should happen that requires being "left on the ice".

I was hoping he was talking about skate hard and leave all your energy on the ice...but now I'm not sure. There is no reason for heated arguments to escalate to anything more during pick-up. That's just stupid.

i agree with interpathway. Skate hard or dont bother showing up. And if some BS drama comes up it doesnt enter the locker room.

Also, if the teams are signficantly unbalanced don't be an asshole about switching sides. When I skate Wednesdays there tends to be a group that shows up, all beginners fresh out of a learn to play class, and they refuse to separate which usually leaves their side much weaker.

I light of eric42434224's injury post...I think this is worth noting, and should become a 'written rule'

IF YOU GET HURT...GO TO A DOCTOR....NOT MODSQUAD!

Sorry eric...I couldn't resist - glad you are okay.

I light of eric42434224's injury post...I think this is worth noting, and should become a 'written rule'

HAHA...Put that in the agreement when signing up for the site... Mod squad will not be liable for any medical advise given to a member!

And just to add to that... if you are bleeding profusely dont go to the bar and drink alcohol. It will act like a blood thinner and your blood will not clot properly.

And this goes for everything in life and hockey.

USE COMMON SENSE

And just to add to that... if you are bleeding profusely dont go to the bar and drink alcohol. It will act like a blood thinner and your blood will not clot properly.

USE COMMON SENSE

I dont think this guy would agree

USE COMMON SENSE

I dont think this guy would agree

LOL I read the whole thing and kept thinking it was top farfetched, and finally saw "the onion" and felt dumb.

:blink:

ung, honestly though I would have rather had that guy than this one guy I had to deal with at open hockey for two years, that guy doesnt sound like he'll be back any time soon this guy just hung around and never missed a session.... Big, fat, slow, ill tempered, called everyone an asshole if they missed a shot or pass or skated slow, but he was an incredible sniper. If he didn't like you, and he didn't unless you were a friggin retired AHLer, you *WOULD* have a puck in the back of your knee, no matter the color of the jersey you wore, he'd end up taking a shot at you without looking like he did. At 6 foot and 190 I wasn't a small guy out there, I almost dropped him once or twice but he was at least 6'6 and weighed in at about 250 or more. Lazy cuss never got off the ice either, there was many sessions with more than 10 on each bench and he'd be on the bench once, maybe twice in a 90 minute ice time.

Wow! Sounds like the biggest douche bag. No one ever said anything to this guy?

I think I was the only person there who took it personally enough. He seemed to know a lot of people there though, in passing at least.

LOL I read the whole thing and kept thinking it was top farfetched, and finally saw "the onion" and felt dumb.

Yea the onion is some good entertainment... and as far fetched as that story sounds I actually knew a couple of guys back in the day that were probably the inspiration for the story, it made it all that much funnier for me and was pretty tough not to burst out in laughter at my cubicle while reading it.

i agree with interpathway. Skate hard or dont bother showing up. And if some BS drama comes up it doesnt enter the locker room.

Had a guy yell at me last week for not passing to him. I am very unselfish to a fault out there and always try and dish it off. The reason I didn't pass was because I went to retrieve the puck in the defensive zone while he stood still at the offensive blueline and expected me to hail mary it to him while dealing with a forechecker. No puck support (which is usually the case in pick-up), so instead I messed around with it, drew a couple of forecheckers in and moved it to my outlet d-partner. I come back to the bench and he's screaming at me that I haven't been passing all night. I'm usually really laid back but for some reason this set me off and we started arguing on the bench but it wasn't even close to getting physical. Anyways, afterwards I'm packing up and start to walk out and the guy stops me to try and encourage me to stay and take a beer from his cooler which I did. It turned a night that would have pissed me off into an okay session.

at sticks and pucks, if you are going to spend the WHOLE time practicing your stupid robbie schremp lacrosse moves, don't do it in front of the net so no one else can shoot.

Do:

- Bring two sticks in case one breaks

Don't:

- Use someone else's stick without asking

This pissed me off last week.

Wow, if somebody used my stick without asking me (and the answer would alwasys be no) that would be go time in my book. I spend around $150 for my sticks go buy your own. Agree with almost everything else in this thread, long shifts by guys who are coasting or are learning how to play get me upset. If you're learning at super slow speed you will always be a beginner, go hard and get off the ice. I'm not paying to watch you play hockey.

The comment about bring a dark and white (but not grey or yellow) is unfortunately right.

I ended up selling my yellow Vancouver Canucks 'V' jersey because I would get a few guys constantly asking which side I was on. When I was playing beer league we had one team that was red and our team that was orange - everyone seemed to be able to tell who their teammate was, but in scrub you are always going to run into guys that complain about your jersey if it isn't white or very dark.

when i play scrub with an unfamiliar group, i just make sure i play as clean as they are - don't make small hooks, holds, pushing in front of the net, etc. unless that seems to be what everyone else on the ice is doing.

The comment about bring a dark and white (but not grey or yellow) is unfortunately right.

I ended up selling my yellow Vancouver Canucks 'V' jersey because I would get a few guys constantly asking which side I was on. When I was playing beer league we had one team that was red and our team that was orange - everyone seemed to be able to tell who their teammate was, but in scrub you are always going to run into guys that complain about your jersey if it isn't white or very dark.

when i play scrub with an unfamiliar group, i just make sure i play as clean as they are - don't make small hooks, holds, pushing in front of the net, etc. unless that seems to be what everyone else on the ice is doing.

Wrong, don't do it until you know the guys and they know you. Friends are likely to pull some of that stuff on each other but if you aren't in that circle, play it clean.

Don't: take slapshots in pickup unless there is nobody in the way. I was playing D and a streaking forward went down the wings and tried to fire one past me...hit me right on the laces. It hurt so bad I had to miss the rest of the pickup session because my foot was bruised.

I always hated it when people hook my hands or when someone took a two hand slash at my stick in the corner. I know everyone is competitive but there's a point where that kind of stuff is unnecessary, especially in pick up.

Here's a couple from a goalie point of view:

- Listen to your goalie

- Respect your goalie (and the opposing too)

- Support your goalie when necessary (don't turn away after he froze the puck, don't let opponents to slap his hands)

- Say thanks after the game, regardless of the score

- Congratulate him on a nice save

- Don't shoot when he's not looking or when he's drinking/taking a break

Cheers