Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoublinUp

Un-Written Rules of Hockey

I wouldn't call this a DON'T, as much as nicer etiquette.

I play at different, private drop-ins. At one drop-in, we have a rule that the puck goes to the other side when one team is offsides, whereas, in the other drop-in, guys will skate it out and start the play again. I prefer the first method, since it's a quick, minor punishment to the team that didn't put enough effort to stay onsides.

Heres a big DON'T: DON'T run the score up, no matter how large the difference in talent between the teams. Total dick move.

It's funny, because at one of the Open Sessions I used to go to regularly, the rule was "If you can dominate, score as much as you can and play like a jerk." And teams would be set so it would be all the guys who play higher levels vs. all the scrubs. But then when I got a few guys from my regular team to show up and we were better than the guys running up the score, it became, "don't try, unless you are trying to run a bad skater, and complain about how much everyone else cares about open hockey."

Two of the guys who were the big culprits were trying to chirp my friend by saying that he cared so much about playing open hockey, to which my fiend replied if you don't care about playing so much why did you even come. They came back with the, "We work here, we play for free you had to pay 10 bucks" My friend stops looks at the kid for a second, then replies, "I wipe my butt with 10 bucks everyday."

After we ruined their nights by not letting them get an easy chance to show off, I stopped going.

I still cant believe I even saw this. We get a new guy, obviously not very secure on his skates but hes hustling and making the effort and having fun. We get towards the end and his team is giving him the puck to carry up and pass or shoot. Well one hotshot had enough of it. As soon as the new guy gets the puck in the zone, his TEAMMATE stick lifts him and races off to the goal with it. Wow. It was sad to watch.

I still cant believe I even saw this. We get a new guy, obviously not very secure on his skates but hes hustling and making the effort and having fun. We get towards the end and his team is giving him the puck to carry up and pass or shoot. Well one hotshot had enough of it. As soon as the new guy gets the puck in the zone, his TEAMMATE stick lifts him and races off to the goal with it. Wow. It was sad to watch.

Sadly, I kind of did that last night. Not as bad, but I felt bad afterwards.

I have a kind of rivalry with one goalie, no matter what I do, he always makes at least one amazing save on me every time we play. He is pretty mediocre against everyone else, but against me he's He's the next Brodeur. Basically, there was a loose puck and my teammate had a direct path too it which would have lead to a 2-0 for us, but I, being the jerk that I am skated to the puck, took it about 2 feet in front of him and then proceeded to get own by the goalie once again.

After that I gave the guy every look I could tried to set him up for a goal. It didn't happen, but he did make a great pressure play which eventually set me up for a goal, so I guess I owe him two for next time.

We have a friendly game where we all know each other, and everyone kind of has someone who they "rival" with. You match up with someone of equal skill and push each other to get better.

That's awful. One of the biggest rules is to give the weaker player his trip up ice now and again.

This has probably been mentioned already. However, I hate when guys use my water bottle without asking! It has happened to me twice over the last 4 weeks at pick up. These are guys I don't even know which makes it even worse.

This has probably been mentioned already. However, I hate when guys use my water bottle without asking! It has happened to me twice over the last 4 weeks at pick up. These are guys I don't even know which makes it even worse.
-don't drink out of anybody else's water bottle

That's right. Bring your own water bottle. Am I being fussy? I think that each player should have his own bottle. With all the colds and flu that's around during the winter, the last thing I want is to catch someone else's crap. I'd estimate that around 1 player out of 5 brings his own bottle. When someone asks for a drink out of my bottle I feel obligated to allow it, just to avoid being alienated. Then the bottle ends up empty before the session is over. And does anyone offer to go refill it? Of course not.

Eveyone should have a bottle in his bag. It requires so little effort.

Try bringing a somewhat unique-looking bottle rather than a generic hockey water bottle. It won't guarantee that nobody drinks from it but people will have less of a tendency to drink from a more personal-looking bottle, especially if there are a few other "regular" bottles to grab.

-don't drink out of anybody else's water bottle

That's right. Bring your own water bottle. Am I being fussy? I think that each player should have his own bottle. With all the colds and flu that's around during the winter, the last thing I want is to catch someone else's crap. I'd estimate that around 1 player out of 5 brings his own bottle. When someone asks for a drink out of my bottle I feel obligated to allow it, just to avoid being alienated. Then the bottle ends up empty before the session is over. And does anyone offer to go refill it? Of course not.

Eveyone should have a bottle in his bag. It requires so little effort.

Try bringing a somewhat unique-looking bottle rather than a generic hockey water bottle. It won't guarantee that nobody drinks from it but people will have less of a tendency to drink from a more personal-looking bottle, especially if there are a few other "regular" bottles to grab.

Aint that the truth. I have a large 2 qt jug that I bring; bright red, and no one touches it without asking.

do: have fun

don't: be an asshole

agree - in addition (really just a clarification to your "don't" part):

do: pass the damn puck!

it's really annoying when you get a bunch of so called "danglers" who just try to skate their way through net to net every time (head down of course) just to loose the puck somewhere in the corner or get it pocked away when there was at least 1 or 2 teammates open in front of the net... really giving them the puck or supporting them when they try driving to the net is not fun!

I wish they at least heard of playing Gretzky rule or something...

well when i go play pick up with friends we always bring like 3 water bottle and guess what everybody use them we're getting tired of this lol.

You know what? it's great that a couple of the guys from the club team showed up to drop-in now that the season is over. And it's cool that a kid who plays Junior came over from Flint to skate with us. but sorry buddy, no matter how many times you hog the puck, force bad shots, and screw up deke moves through four opponents, three teammates and the zamboni, no one is going to come up to you after the skate and ask you to try out with them next season. Pass the puck.

Regarding drop-in. In my book, fancy-danglers who ignore open teammates should not be congratulated on scoring goals. I've come across a number of these yo-yos, none of whom have made a living playing the game, or even played D1/D3 college. The fancy-danglers I deal with are mostly failed Junior players who never got to the next step cause they couldn't make grade in school, or have personality issues.

On the other hand I have played drop-in with/against guys who have played Pro/Olympic,D1/D3 college. The first thing you notice is that they love to pass the puck and are very unselfish. In fact, most of them thrive on setting other guys up. And none of these guys do excessive dangling, cause they are coming from a contact-game, and dangling doesn't really go over so well in a contact game.

Moral of the story regarding this thread is PASS THE PUCK! The puck can move up-ice a lot faster than a player can.

Or do what Chadd did a few yrs back now, bring two bottles to a session. One with regular water that you hide and your usual bottle with straight Vodka in it. Some dumbarse will come off, have a squeeze and learn their lesson one way or another.

Or do what Chadd did a few yrs back now, bring two bottles to a session. One with regular water that you hide and your usual bottle with straight Vodka in it. Some dumbarse will come off, have a squeeze and learn their lesson one way or another.

Lemon juice in the water is my preferred method of dealing with those people. It's no big deal if you're expecting it but a rude shock otherwise. Even better for those guys that use a bottle instead of a shower.

never, ever, under any circumstance, throw a water bottle onto the ice after a bad goal.

especially in the championship game when the game is tied with less than 3 minutes left in the third.

even more especially when it gives the other team yet another power play.

they will score and you will lose.

Lemon juice in the water is my preferred method of dealing with those people. It's no big deal if you're expecting it but a rude shock otherwise. Even better for those guys that use a bottle instead of a shower.

I keep my mouthguard in the bottle before and after playing. Most regulars know I do this, but every once in a while somebody takes a squirt with he bench letting them know about it afterwards.

How about if you're playing a game of pick-up/shinny with people in full gear, atleast put your shin pads on? If nothing else it saves me from feeling bad when I accidentally bean you in the knee cap.

How about if you're playing a game of pick-up/shinny with people in full gear, atleast put your shin pads on? If nothing else it saves me from feeling bad when I accidentally bean you in the knee cap.

When ONE person out of a group chooses NOT to wear padding, you should never feel bad.

Regarding drop-in. In my book, fancy-danglers who ignore open teammates should not be congratulated on scoring goals. I've come across a number of these yo-yos, none of whom have made a living playing the game, or even played D1/D3 college. The fancy-danglers I deal with are mostly failed Junior players who never got to the next step cause they couldn't make grade in school, or have personality issues.

On the other hand I have played drop-in with/against guys who have played Pro/Olympic,D1/D3 college. The first thing you notice is that they love to pass the puck and are very unselfish. In fact, most of them thrive on setting other guys up. And none of these guys do excessive dangling, cause they are coming from a contact-game, and dangling doesn't really go over so well in a contact game.

Moral of the story regarding this thread is PASS THE PUCK! The puck can move up-ice a lot faster than a player can.

That's cause guys who have played the game for a while and at a high level (or maybe not even high level) and also really WATCH hockey to see how the pros play, tend to get much more enjoyment from crisply moving the puck around than trying to skate through 10 guys just to get off a low-percentage shot.

I've never played at a high level but I've done my best to practice having good vision on the ice and be able to have a sense of where my teammates are at all times. Pick-up hockey can be so unispiring when you play with guys who don't or can't be creative. Most of the time, it's not their fault, they are doing the best they can.

I'll just never understand that in a pickup game where there is no hitting and most guys aren't really trying to take the puck away from you, why someone would force a shot from a bad angle. Move the puck around; it'll be more fun watching someone else finish as a result of your slick, head's up pass.

I keep my mouthguard in the bottle before and after playing. Most regulars know I do this, but every once in a while somebody takes a squirt with he bench letting them know about it afterwards.

I've realized that if you bring a sports drink (e.g. gatorade, powerade, etc) people are less likely to help themselves