Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoublinUp

Un-Written Rules of Hockey

There was one guy at a university skate who kept doing that CONSTANTLY. He was so clueless that he did the exact same thing try to call for passes from his own team AND to try to confuse the other team. Every two seconds he was on the ice, whether his team or the other team had the puck -- tap-tap-TAP. Nothing verbal, never in position -- tap-tap-TAP. Guys with the puck are looking straight at him -- tap-tap-TAP.

Finally, after redlining for an entire shift and tapping out mating calls to every woodpecker in the province, he got a breakaway. Guy puts his head down and starts chugging away like he's got Sami Pahlsson on his tail. Sensing the opportunity, I flip my stick into a shooting grip, skate off to the side of the net -- tap-tap-TAP.

His head shoots up, and for one precious second, he hesitates -- and both benches started guffawing just as he shoots. I never moved.

Possibly the best goal I ever conceded, apart from the time I setup a power-play one-timer against myself.

aw, i was really hoping for a hasek/gaborik ending to that, followed by a sarcastic *Tap Tap*

That's bush no matter when you do it. I played against a guy in a tourny a couple of weeks ago who kept trying to call for passes from our team.

this will obviously go against the grain, but care to elaborate as to why is it so bad?

I personally think it's a fair game (obviously when applied periodically and NOT all the time so that it doesn't become annoying) - at least it teaches people to look before they pass - makes it real

this will obviously go against the grain, but care to elaborate as to why is it so bad?

I personally think it's a fair game (obviously when applied periodically and NOT all the time so that it doesn't become annoying) - at least it teaches people to look before they pass - makes it real

I think it just shows poor sportsmanship. Instead of getting the puck via a hockey play, one is trying to trick a guy into giving up the puck. Maybe its fair game at some level of hockey I've never played, but with the folks I've played with, its a great way to look like a bit of a dick.

That's bush no matter when you do it. I played against a guy in a tourny a couple of weeks ago who kept trying to call for passes from our team.

nope, bush league dick move done even once. It teaches people that you're a douche. There just isn't a way to describe why it's wrong, it just is and anyone who thinks it is acceptable has something fundamentally wrong with them as well. <_<

It's bush league because it demonstrates the tapper's assumption of the other team's implicit stupidity (ie. poor sportsmanship), and additionally demonstrates the tapper's own explicit and active stupidity for believing that it will work regularly against anyone over the mental age of five.

It is the kind of move in which fourth-line overagers in Junior D leagues delight the world over, alongside slew-footing, the open-ice can-opener, the immobile toe-drag, and the full-stride slapshot from below the face-off circle.

It's bush league because it demonstrates the tapper's assumption of the other team's implicit stupidity (ie. poor sportsmanship), and additionally demonstrates the tapper's own explicit and active stupidity for believing that it will work regularly against anyone over the mental age of five.

very interesting definition... Other then the fact that I've seen this work for people biologically much much older then 5 (but who knows what their "mental age" was really :)) seems like there's a lot of "stupid" people around...

re this point "Instead of getting the puck via a hockey play, one is trying to trick a guy into giving up the puck." - I guess we should all forget about faking/deking as well - just "plow it like a man" right? ;)

as a disclamer I've never done the tapping shit myself personally, but seen it happen way too many times & never had a problem with that (hence I think I have an unbiased opinion :) ) - after all comparing with all the hooking, tripping, slashing & other cheap stuff this is really nothing

I don't see it as that bad unless you're doing it constantly. If someone is stupid enough to pass the puck blindly just because someone taps their stick or calls "drop", they really don't deserve the puck in the first place.

Its tough to explain why its a bush league move, its one of those things that just is. Kinda like ARod screaming "I got it!" at the Toronto third baseman, as he was rounding third, a couple years back, same concept.

Its tough to explain why its a bush league move, its one of those things that just is. Kinda like ARod screaming "I got it!" at the Toronto third baseman, as he was rounding third, a couple years back, same concept.

I was thinking of the same example, I think its just like that.

I don't see it as that bad unless you're doing it constantly. If someone is stupid enough to pass the puck blindly just because someone taps their stick or calls "drop", they really don't deserve the puck in the first place.

This one happened a few seasons ago.

Wes Walz of the Wild, called for a drop pass from former teammate Andrew Brunette(then a member of the Avs). Bruno dropped it right to Walzie, with out hesitating. Bruno laughed the whole way to bench.

Sometimes, it is ok...between friends.

This one happened a few seasons ago.

Wes Walz of the Wild, called for a drop pass from former teammate Andrew Brunette(then a member of the Avs). Bruno dropped it right to Walzie, with out hesitating. Bruno laughed the whole way to bench.

Sometimes, it is ok...between friends.

According to this article, you have it backwards.

precisely my points - thanks Chadd!

good discussion though - it's important to know that there're some sensitive people out there that can take it the wrong way (isn't there always for everything) :)

I think part of the reason why it bothered me so much last time was that, the guy who was doing it was that, this was happening in their defensive zone and I play D and the guy was the winger on my side, so the whole time while my forwards were cycling it down low he kept tapping his stick about 5 feet away from me and I had to keep yelling "don't pass it back here". I think he did it in 3 or 4 different shifts.

re this point "Instead of getting the puck via a hockey play, one is trying to trick a guy into giving up the puck." - I guess we should all forget about faking/deking as well - just "plow it like a man" right? ;)

Hmm. You honestly can't see the difference between an actual hockey play, like a fake or a deke, vs. someone tapping their stick trying to trick someone into a mistaken ID pass?

I guess I'm on my own.

Hmm. You honestly can't see the difference between an actual hockey play, like a fake or a deke, vs. someone tapping their stick trying to trick someone into a mistaken ID pass?

I guess I'm on my own.

To me, it's valid in an actual game situation. Especally in the playoffs or whatnot. You do what it takes to win.

Pickup though, it's kinda a douchbag move.

I guess I'm on my own.

both are deceptive moves that trick you into making a mistake - like it was said above it happens even in the show, it doesn't hurt - so what's the big deal about?!

sounds like a differnce of opinions to me...

A deek is a legitimate skill move, if you cant see the difference I guess we'll all just have to agree to disagree at where the douchebag bush league line is.

this is an interesting discussion re tapping. I never encountered it when I played in high school decades ago. But upon getting back into the game again a couple years ago, mostly via open hockey sessions, I come across it all the time. The place I see it most is at a game where there are a lot of Junior players, as well as Russian players who played high-level on the other side and live here now. It's a pretty intense pick-up game actually, and lots of fun. A lot of them tap-tap. I would say most actually. It never bothered me though. It just struck me as being competitive, an effort to distract. And sure enough, I started doing it too from time to time. But nobody on the other team has ever flipped the puck to me as a result. And to be honest, I don't think it is very effective in distracting opposing players under most circumstances.

But man, I had no idea it was considered "bad manners" in pick-up. Or worse yet, a "douchebag" move! Ouch!

So from now on, it's one thing to do it in my Juniors/Russians pickup game if the urge strikes me. But I'll make a point not to do it in the other pick-up games, which are more laid back. I pride myself on being a good sportsman, and honestly had no idea that this was considered unsportsmanlike in pick-up. Thanks for pointing it out!

I guess I'm on my own.

both are deceptive moves that trick you into making a mistake - like it was said above it happens even in the show, it doesn't hurt - so what's the big deal about?!

sounds like a differnce of opinions to me...

By your analogy of 'deceptive moves', then, stick-tapping would be the dekeing equivalent of a huge reach-to-reach Junior D toe-drag.

Do it once (cf: Walz & Brunnette drop-pass, or the Spezza-on-Souray drag) in a professional game, and it's effective, significant and entertaining. Do it to a friend at shinny, laugh it off.

Do it constantly either A) to zero effect against superior competition, or B) to occasional effect against the worst hockey players on earth, and you're a prick.

The guy who does nothing but huge toe-drags all game makes the same implicit assumption as the constant stick-tapper: my competition is so terrible they're going to fall for this all night.

Where is competition that terrible, and stupidity that rampant? The apocryphal bush leagues.

I would have been less annoyed if it was a highly competitive game with teams that knew each other extremely well with highly skilled players. Instead it was in a fun pick up game between some guys that really can't play all that well but are giving it their all and having fun (the only reason I play). The guy doing it was one of the top 3-4 skaters. He probably could have gotten the puck with a little effort but instead decided to be a dumbass and employ that move.

I really like the comparison the A-rod play. While not against the rules (I think), you better be ducking the next time you're in the batter's box.

is it me or were these guys being a-holes?

here's the scenario:

a rink not too far from me has stick time on the weekends on sat. and sun. remember, i said stick time not open hockey. every weekend you see all different types coming out from little kids to older men along with some pretty good players.

today, a group of guys i'd guess either college-aged or in their 20's come out in full gear, about 10-12 along with a goalie and decide to take half the ice to play pick-up. they're going full bore just short of full contact, not like they were just practicing. also, it's not like it was just a group of hs kids just having some fun. they were full grown adults, albeit young, who were pretty high-level players.

coming late to the rink, i'm like "is there open hockey today?", then i noticed these little kids and random players skating around on the other half.

there were quite a few people who came out, and a good amount of kids ranging from 3-12 along with their fathers, some still learning how to skate(which is what i thought stick time was for).

now am i being a bit too sensitive about this or does anyone else think this is a recipe for disaster? if it was just a group of adults then i'd be a little less po'd about it, but there were kids wandering onto the other side of the rink every now and again just because they didn't know any better.

i could easily see one of those guys not paying attention for a split second and bam!, someone's kid is in the hospital.

imo, if you wanna play pick-up, leave it for drop-in/open hockey. i didn't think stick was an appropriate time for this.

even though i pretty much suck, i was tempted to lay a shoulder into a guy who pretty much ran into me...on our side of the ice. i saw him coming so it was only a minor glancing blow enough to take him off the puck...yeah, i could've gotten out of the way, but he was on our side ;-)

[/end rant]

thoughts?

at my local rink it says "NO GOALIES, or scrimmages". ive been there before where a few kids from the local high school team took one side and just played posts and the other half was for everybody else and it seems to be fine, but full gear is a lil over the top i think.