Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoublinUp

Un-Written Rules of Hockey

How about in running clock games, don't bullshit around with your teammates after a goal. Get back to the damn face off circle.

RANT

I think showing up to stick time with full gear is definitely over the top. I can see wearing the bottom half since there is a huge difference skating with pads on versus just sweats. The rink definitely needs to enforce the rules because you are right, there is going to be a disaster down the road.

On a slightly different topic, the rink near my house recently had two different stick times during springs vacation for the school kids. One was for up to 12 years old (and parents) and another for 13 and up. I think that this is a good way to avoid disasters with older guys and young kids. Obviously this depends on having the ice time available to do this.

How about in running clock games, don't bullshit around with your teammates after a goal. Get back to the damn face off circle.

I concur. It really pisses me off when it is a VERY close game and the refs are joking with each other between faceoffs in the third.

RANT

I think showing up to stick time with full gear is definitely over the top. I can see wearing the bottom half since there is a huge difference skating with pads on versus just sweats. The rink definitely needs to enforce the rules because you are right, there is going to be a disaster down the road.

On a slightly different topic, the rink near my house recently had two different stick times during springs vacation for the school kids. One was for up to 12 years old (and parents) and another for 13 and up. I think that this is a good way to avoid disasters with older guys and young kids. Obviously this depends on having the ice time available to do this.

I'll admit I've gotten my little brothers and my cousins together and we've comandeered one of the zones for 4 on 4 or whatever (commandeered as in showing up early, not pushing anyone around). I can see how maybe it wouldn't be a good idea.

On a similar note, my two little brothers (13 and 15) tried to play goalie for about a year, just at sticks and pucks. One of them would gear up, and me and the other one would take shots and work on form and technique. However, because there was a goalie, we constantly had people we didn't know wanting to fire away shots on a goalie instead of an empty net. Too often any practice or training would dissolve into a breakaway line, with a new goalie facing repeated breakaways, pretty much the most difficult thing for a goalie to do, rather than practicing angles or movements on shots they would see more than once a game. More than once I would be trying to coach or advise my little brother and some one fires a puck at an upright goalie with his hands at his side. SOmething I've never understood, but in the future, make sure the goalie is actually planning on taking your shot before you let one rip.

Don't be a dick to new people if you're a regular. Especially when they've done nothing wrong.. My case being made this morning at pickup:

My buddy and I go to pickup hockey first thing in the morning. I haven't been on the ice, other than pond hockey, in a solid ten years. My buddy plays once in a while, but still isn't anything to hang a hat on. We both play inline for our college, but we're paying on a men's ice team this summer and are just trying to get our legs and some technique back. After about 45min. of just shooting and working on stick handling some other guys show up and start stretching out... all-in-all we have six guys. They ask if we want to play 3 on 3 posts. Sure, I'm terrible at hitting posts, but I'll skate hard and have some fun, whatever. Out of the six of us there's one guy that looks like a legitimate hockey player (when he actually felt like playing no one could get the puck away from him, and he was ten kinds of fast) But there is also another guy there in his mid to late fifties who was undoubtedly a regular, he wasn't very good but had an uncanny ability to hit posts. Me and the lazy, albeit good, guy and some other gentlemen get on a team. The better guy spends the entire time just passing the puck and passing up shots to set us up (pretty cool considering to show the main subject of the story up he went post-crossbar-post to prove he could have won the game himself). Anyway, I get some chances... wide-open chances... and just miss the pipe every time. Not too bad, but a bit frustrating. The older guy from earlier decides to start harassing my team about getting beat. Whatever, all in good fun. Next time we're on offense i skate through the crease after a puck... old guy cross-checks me in the back, "don't go in the crease!". I just kinda of looked at him confused, I didn't think I'd done anything to piss him off. Next time skating with the puck in the corner, hacks at the back of my left knee. Same thing after I went around him with the puck to get in alone a few minutes later. I would go on to get slashed, hacked, cross-checked, and slew-footed a good deal the rest of the morning. When time was up I'm skating to the exit when I hear the guy tell me to expect more of the same for a while if I keep showing up for early morning pick-up. Mind you, I took the abuse like a champ. The guy in question is maybe 5'5"-6" 165-75 pounds. I weigh in at 205 lbs. and 6' tall...the guy doesn't intimidate me at all. Normally, whatever, the guy is just a dick with a chip on his shoulder, I'll just be the bigger man. But, I'm on a two week break before my college baseball national tournament starts, I don't need someone out there with intent on hazing, "the new guy." I'm there to learn and have a good time. Moral of this story. The rink I go to is on the verge of going belly-up, and part of the problem is no one comes to open hockey anymore. I can only imagine the antics of people like this guy are partially to blame for the problems the rink has attracting new players. Oh, and you shouldn't treat people like dirt. Rant over.

Drop a line to the owners of the rink. Tell them that you'd be spreading the word about the place if a-holes like that were not there.... Or, next time, just give him a big clean hit and drop his ass.... that will shut him up, and if not do it again till he gets the point.... Basically he is a playground bully with a small penis, cheating wife, miserable boss, all three, whatever.... "his" rink is the only place he has any control over and needs a good bitchslap.

OR, take him out and get a beer.... much easier to make friends out of enemies, ya know.

I can't beat $7 for pick-up. People that treat other people like dirt really bother me. Not only when it's me getting treated like crap, but anyone. Honestly, I love hockey, and growing the game should be part of everyone's agenda. Turning people off to the game by treating them like they don't belong is a joke.

With that kind of a size advantage just drop on his ass with a good clean shoulder check. When gets up ask him if he'd prefer to play clean, or to spend the next hour looking at the rafters and counting pretty little birdies. I normally don't advocate that, but anyone who thinks morning hockey needs to involve hazing deserves it.

I'm heading back Saturday night for the prime pick-up time. The problem I had with dropping him in 3 on 3 is it would obviously be blatant what I was trying to do. Also, the guy is wearing a cage, I wear a visor. I don't want to drop him then yap at him only to get a stick blade in my teeth. You'd think someone wouldn't do that, but something about the guy's demeanor makes me think he believes he's a hard ass. I'm all for playing hard, but if I get slashed across the back of my knee again the guy might be doing snow angels. Same guy was taking slap-shots from the goal-line to attempt to hit the post... Doesn't seem like a mental giant to me.

give him a good hard legal hit if you guys play contact...these dudes only back down when they finally figure out they suck etc etc.

i heard a story about a Quebec Major junior hockey player who went to pick up and all he did was pass the puck but he kept getting slashed by this beer league grinder and friends he lined him up a scott steven- paul kariya shoulder hit and the guy left to never hassle anybody for years to come ahhaha.

Don't be a dick to new people if you're a regular. Especially when they've done nothing wrong.. My case being made this morning at pickup:

My buddy and I go to pickup hockey first thing in the morning. I haven't been on the ice, other than pond hockey, in a solid ten years. My buddy plays once in a while, but still isn't anything to hang a hat on. We both play inline for our college, but we're paying on a men's ice team this summer and are just trying to get our legs and some technique back. After about 45min. of just shooting and working on stick handling some other guys show up and start stretching out... all-in-all we have six guys. They ask if we want to play 3 on 3 posts. Sure, I'm terrible at hitting posts, but I'll skate hard and have some fun, whatever. Out of the six of us there's one guy that looks like a legitimate hockey player (when he actually felt like playing no one could get the puck away from him, and he was ten kinds of fast) But there is also another guy there in his mid to late fifties who was undoubtedly a regular, he wasn't very good but had an uncanny ability to hit posts. Me and the lazy, albeit good, guy and some other gentlemen get on a team. The better guy spends the entire time just passing the puck and passing up shots to set us up (pretty cool considering to show the main subject of the story up he went post-crossbar-post to prove he could have won the game himself). Anyway, I get some chances... wide-open chances... and just miss the pipe every time. Not too bad, but a bit frustrating. The older guy from earlier decides to start harassing my team about getting beat. Whatever, all in good fun. Next time we're on offense i skate through the crease after a puck... old guy cross-checks me in the back, "don't go in the crease!". I just kinda of looked at him confused, I didn't think I'd done anything to piss him off. Next time skating with the puck in the corner, hacks at the back of my left knee. Same thing after I went around him with the puck to get in alone a few minutes later. I would go on to get slashed, hacked, cross-checked, and slew-footed a good deal the rest of the morning. When time was up I'm skating to the exit when I hear the guy tell me to expect more of the same for a while if I keep showing up for early morning pick-up. Mind you, I took the abuse like a champ. The guy in question is maybe 5'5"-6" 165-75 pounds. I weigh in at 205 lbs. and 6' tall...the guy doesn't intimidate me at all. Normally, whatever, the guy is just a dick with a chip on his shoulder, I'll just be the bigger man. But, I'm on a two week break before my college baseball national tournament starts, I don't need someone out there with intent on hazing, "the new guy." I'm there to learn and have a good time. Moral of this story. The rink I go to is on the verge of going belly-up, and part of the problem is no one comes to open hockey anymore. I can only imagine the antics of people like this guy are partially to blame for the problems the rink has attracting new players. Oh, and you shouldn't treat people like dirt. Rant over.

What rink is this?

What rink is this?

I take that comment back.....Don't want to look like a jackass goon

I guess I missed the original comment. My only problem with this is that I've learned that treating people without respect is unacceptable. I'm fine with the fact this older gentleman is a regular at the rink, I hope that when I'm his age I'm still hanging around a hockey rink or baseball field with regularity. But, just because you're always there does not give you the right to treat someone like they are trespassing on your private property. I paid my money, I have just as much right to be there as he does. Also, an intentional trip, slash, or crosscheck could not only result to serious injury to me, but any other person he would try that crap on as well.

I guess I missed the original comment. My only problem with this is that I've learned that treating people without respect is unacceptable. I'm fine with the fact this older gentleman is a regular at the rink, I hope that when I'm his age I'm still hanging around a hockey rink or baseball field with regularity. But, just because you're always there does not give you the right to treat someone like they are trespassing on your private property. I paid my money, I have just as much right to be there as he does. Also, an intentional trip, slash, or crosscheck could not only result to serious injury to me, but any other person he would try that crap on as well.

Completely agree, and after playing at a level where you had to pay a price for crap like that it's frustrating to go play and have people trip, slash, and crosscheck people because thats what they see on TV but they completely ignore the fact that if anybody pulled the stuff they do in the NHL or high level of competitive play they would be leaving minus some teeth and/or a black eye

Here's a new one: "Don't borrow my spare stick behind the bench without asking.' By extension, this would also lead into "Bring a spare stick to the rink."

I was getting set for a face off at pick up, and looked to my wing and thought, "Hey, same stick as mine." (Easton 2 piece stick, say what you want, but still $70 to replace). During play, noticed that it's taped with a maple leaf on the end of the handle...just like mine. Come off, look behind the bench, and that's my stick out there playing without me. Kind of an odd exchange follows when the guy (who I only know by sight from playing pickup) is on the bench:

"Excuse me, that's my stick you're playing with."

"Yeah, I broke mine."

"Put it back where you found it - that's not yours to use."

"F***, don't be such a dink." (Puts stick back, pouts like mommy's little girl).

Turns out he broke his stick the week before.

Here's a new one: "Don't borrow my spare stick behind the bench without asking.' By extension, this would also lead into "Bring a spare stick to the rink."

I was getting set for a face off at pick up, and looked to my wing and thought, "Hey, same stick as mine." (Easton 2 piece stick, say what you want, but still $70 to replace). During play, noticed that it's taped with a maple leaf on the end of the handle...just like mine. Come off, look behind the bench, and that's my stick out there playing without me. Kind of an odd exchange follows when the guy (who I only know by sight from playing pickup) is on the bench:

"Yeah, I broke mine."

"F***, don't be such a dink." (Puts stick back, pouts like mommy's little girl).

Wow... he broke his stick the week before, and shows up to pickup expecting to just grab one off the bench? THAT takes some HUGE balls, coupled with a complete lack of respect for anyone else.

"Yeah, I broke mine."

Wow... he broke his stick the week before, and shows up to pickup expecting to just grab one off the bench? THAT takes some HUGE balls, coupled with a complete lack of respect for anyone else.

Nope, just indicative of the sense of entitlement a lot of people seem to have anymore.

I go to a local rink where they have 18+ pick up. My beef is when the 16 and 17 year old AAA players show up and take a spot for those who are 18+. The rink only lets in a max of 30 guys. This has pissed me off as I am a taxpayer and it's a community rink run by the city. I've told the manger they need to start asking for I.D. and only allow the 16 and 17 year olds to play after the 18+ have been admitted.

dang that stick thing is pretty crazy. I should probably watch out for mine during pick ups now.

It's probably not anything new, but to me it was kind of odd since its at pick up. Tonight at pick up, two guys almost went at it and they were both on the same team.

I don't bring my extra stick to the bench for pick-up...if I happen to break something, a pick up game isn't important enough to where I can't just get off the ice and grab my spare stick. I've had the same thing happen in the past with people using my stick, so that's a simple solution.

That's bush no matter when you do it. I played against a guy in a tourny a couple of weeks ago who kept trying to call for passes from our team.

this will obviously go against the grain, but care to elaborate as to why is it so bad?

I personally think it's a fair game (obviously when applied periodically and NOT all the time so that it doesn't become annoying) - at least it teaches people to look before they pass - makes it real

nope, bush league dick move done even once. It teaches people that you're a douche. There just isn't a way to describe why it's wrong, it just is and anyone who thinks it is acceptable has something fundamentally wrong with them as well. <_<