Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoublinUp

Un-Written Rules of Hockey

That's bush no matter when you do it. I played against a guy in a tourny a couple of weeks ago who kept trying to call for passes from our team.

this will obviously go against the grain, but care to elaborate as to why is it so bad?

I personally think it's a fair game (obviously when applied periodically and NOT all the time so that it doesn't become annoying) - at least it teaches people to look before they pass - makes it real

nope, bush league dick move done even once. It teaches people that you're a douche. There just isn't a way to describe why it's wrong, it just is and anyone who thinks it is acceptable has something fundamentally wrong with them as well. <_<

its wrong in pick-up for sure... but shit, it's fair game in league play. thats basic hockey tomfoolery.

it might have been touched on since i didn't want to read through 14 pages of rules, but the whole drinking out of my gatorade, water bottle.... etc. i bring it for myself and maybe a buddy if he asks but the kids who think they own the rink will suck it down before i know what happens.

Coming to drop-in hammered or high. Nothing worse than having to deal with someone throwing up because they're smashed, or being complete asses because they're baked out of their minds.

I don't borrow stuff at drop-in largely because I feel if I broke someone's stick that was lent to me I'd need to pay to replace it. My luck it'd be a 200 dollar stick, I also don't bring spare sticks to drop-in anymore because I don't want to lend them. I don't take slappers so I rarely break sticks at drop-in and if I do I just call it a day.

My gripe for this week: take shifts according to the bench. If there are five guys on the bench 90 second shifts are great. When there are two guys on the bench you need to stay out longer so the people that just sat down can get a little rest.

i completely agree with the shift thing. hate it when i skate out (cuz im normally a goalie) and i get to play 15 minutes of a 2 hours drop in. i never can find it in myself to piss people off and stay out there for the 45 minute shift that some a-holes will take.

one more thing that just came to my mind. I cannot stand when a group of kids will come together, play on the same team, and not pass to anyone but each other. It gets really frustrating. You pay the same amount to play as everyone else, so share the puck... doesn't matter if your better than me, i still want to have some fun.

I don't borrow stuff at drop-in largely because I feel if I broke someone's stick that was lent to me I'd need to pay to replace it. My luck it'd be a 200 dollar stick, I also don't bring spare sticks to drop-in anymore because I don't want to lend them. I don't take slappers so I rarely break sticks at drop-in and if I do I just call it a day.

My gripe for this week: take shifts according to the bench. If there are five guys on the bench 90 second shifts are great. When there are two guys on the bench you need to stay out longer so the people that just sat down can get a little rest.

If everyone on the bench is taking the same length shifts there shouldn't be an issue with rest. Now, if someone is being fair and shifting the 90 seconds they should, then you are shifting for 5 minutes, yeah, you'll need the rest.

If everyone on the bench is taking the same length shifts there shouldn't be an issue with rest. Now, if someone is being fair and shifting the 90 seconds they should, then you are shifting for 5 minutes, yeah, you'll need the rest.

90 second shifts don't work with two guys on the bench. Let's apply logic: there are five guys on the ice and two guys on the bench. 90 seconds ends, all five should according to your theory come off the ice. Problem is now there are five guys on the bench and two guys on the ice. Do you see how it doesn't work for everyone to take the same shift when there aren't enough players on the bench to replace all of the skaters? See, that leads to some people needing to take longer shifts to make the game work. When these people do this they need to be able to sit down for a minute or so, and that won't happen if the short shift guys are rushing to the bench.

90 second shifts don't work with two guys on the bench. Let's apply logic: there are five guys on the ice and two guys on the bench. 90 seconds ends, all five should according to your theory come off the ice. Problem is now there are five guys on the bench and two guys on the ice. Do you see how it doesn't work for everyone to take the same shift when there aren't enough players on the bench to replace all of the skaters? See, that leads to some people needing to take longer shifts to make the game work. When these people do this they need to be able to sit down for a minute or so, and that won't happen if the short shift guys are rushing to the bench.

You could just stagger the first shift so that people come off a lot quicker at first in 20 second intervals. That means a change at 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100 seconds. By the time 60 seconds rolled around, both benchers would already be in the game, and the person that came off first would be back in. Everybody can do 100 second shifts with 40 seconds rest on the bench, just staggered in changes.

Of course, my regular pickup group is not that clever to actually do this, so if I'm on the ice first, I come off really quickly to start the staggered change. If I'm on the bench, I make my first shift really short to break up the change. After all, we usually have 90 minutes and are sub beer league level, so nobody is complaining about not enough ice time. In fact, the last 30 minutes, most of us are just glad to have a chance to sit, or else we coast around and practice "breakaway" hockey.

one more thing that just came to my mind. I cannot stand when a group of kids will come together, play on the same team, and not pass to anyone but each other. It gets really frustrating. You pay the same amount to play as everyone else, so share the puck... doesn't matter if your better than me, i still want to have some fun.

Going off topic a little, but I've had that sought of thing happen to me at freaking training, that pissed me off no end....

You could just stagger the first shift so that people come off a lot quicker at first in 20 second intervals. That means a change at 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100 seconds. By the time 60 seconds rolled around, both benchers would already be in the game, and the person that came off first would be back in. Everybody can do 100 second shifts with 40 seconds rest on the bench, just staggered in changes.

Of course, my regular pickup group is not that clever to actually do this, so if I'm on the ice first, I come off really quickly to start the staggered change. If I'm on the bench, I make my first shift really short to break up the change. After all, we usually have 90 minutes and are sub beer league level, so nobody is complaining about not enough ice time. In fact, the last 30 minutes, most of us are just glad to have a chance to sit, or else we coast around and practice "breakaway" hockey.

While that would work, if you could actually get guys in a drop-in hockey game to do it I think you ought to go into politics. :)

I play in a roller league run by Robert Morris University for local colleges in the Western PA area. My team is completely funded by individual fundraisers conducted by the club, and we're currently waiting on jerseys from SubliTwill to be finished and delivered. For the games until then we've informed the league and the other teams that we will be wearing black practice jerseys. I tell that story to tell this one.

The team we played last night is also in the same boat we are, waiting on jerseys to be finished and delivered. They have taken to wearing white practice jerseys until they are. Well, apparently one of their players didn't get the memo, or is too much of a prick to go get a $10 white practice jersey. He wore a deep purple/ navy blue jersey last night, making him look really close to one of our players in our black jerseys. Beyond that, anytime we were in the offensive zone this moron was tapping his stick on the court. I don't normally have a problem with this, but the fact he was basically wearing jerseys identical to ours was a joke. I hate being, "that guy," but every time I was on the floor with this tool I made sure he knew exactly how Busch-League his antics were, eventually goading him into taking a roughing penalty. Kid had no respect for the game, or our team, and I think, in this case, the verbal abuse he took from myself and a few others on my bench was well warranted.

When reffing, I've actually had to tell guys like that to change or sit out. You would be surprised how quickly another matching jersey shows up.

When reffing, I've actually had to tell guys like that to change or sit out. You would be surprised how quickly another matching jersey shows up.

Between periods, after this kid had stolen maybe 6 passes in his own end because of the stick tapping combined with the deceptive shirt color, we called one of the refs over and talked to him about it. He went over and talked to the kid and his team... he came back and his response was something along the lines of, "they don't have any other white jerseys for him to wear, and you guys aren't really wearing matching jerseys either..." Maybe he didn't get the idea that we were all in black, and with the exception of their one player, they were all in white. We even had one of our guys offer to give him a white t-shirt. No dice... Busch-League

When I was reffing beer league I used a pretty simple rule: the "home" team's jersey needed to be at the very least 80% white and the "visitor" could have no more than 20% white markings on the sweater. Occassionally you run into the jackass that thinks a jersey that is all colored save for the white shoulder boards is enough to pull a fast one. I just used to call guys over during the warm up and tell them if the sweater wasn't going to cut. Save for one repeat offender. I didn't say anything and the smug douche thought he got one over. Then someone tossed him a pass because they clearly thought he was their winger and was headed in on a good scoring chance. Let him get about three strides and then blew the whistle, and made the captain sit the bench minor for the jersey issue. On the flip side, I don't see being a huge dick about it. I found that the "everyone must have matching sweaters" rule was just unreasonable for adult league hockey. So as long as the sweater was either a home white or a colored away I'd let it slide.

When I was reffing beer league I used a pretty simple rule: the "home" team's jersey needed to be at the very least 80% white and the "visitor" could have no more than 20% white markings on the sweater. Occassionally you run into the jackass that thinks a jersey that is all colored save for the white shoulder boards is enough to pull a fast one. I just used to call guys over during the warm up and tell them if the sweater wasn't going to cut. Save for one repeat offender. I didn't say anything and the smug douche thought he got one over. Then someone tossed him a pass because they clearly thought he was their winger and was headed in on a good scoring chance. Let him get about three strides and then blew the whistle, and made the captain sit the bench minor for the jersey issue. On the flip side, I don't see being a huge dick about it. I found that the "everyone must have matching sweaters" rule was just unreasonable for adult league hockey. So as long as the sweater was either a home white or a colored away I'd let it slide.

haha thats good. its true though. guys are stupid and wear jerseys with dark body and light sleeves and shoulder.

What is the boards opinion of this situation:

We were losing 7-2 in a 40+ league game with 3 minutes left. The other team then started playing keep away with the puck. As they moved into our zone, they would then turn around and pass it back into their zone and continue playing keep away. This was even during their power play. They even had a break away, and the guy veered away at the last minute and skated back out of the zone and passes back into their zone for some more keep away.

Is this against the un-written rules? Is this douch-baggery? How would you react?

I will tell you how I reacted....but i wanted to hear from others first.

What is the boards opinion of this situation:

We were losing 7-2 in a 40+ league game with 3 minutes left. The other team then started playing keep away with the puck. As they moved into our zone, they would then turn around and pass it back into their zone and continue playing keep away. This was even during their power play. They even had a break away, and the guy veered away at the last minute and skated back out of the zone and passes back into their zone for some more keep away.

Is this against the un-written rules? Is this douch-baggery? How would you react?

I will tell you how I reacted....but i wanted to hear from others first.

It's absolutely douchebaggery, and for the most part ragging the puck in you own end is pathetic and breaking an unwritten rule, you just need to throw an intense fore-check at them.

Well, I think the intent there was to not run up the score further. I don't think you would've appreciated them continuing to push for goals, pulling michigan moves, putting the toe of their blade on the puck or over celebrating goals when they were already up by 5 late in the game either. At the same time I can see how the team playing keep away would come off as disrepectful.

I can definitely see how that situation would've been frustrating. Perhaps saying to them at a faceoff or after a game that while you appreciated them trying to not run up the score or trying show boat moves, you'd all rather just play out the game than have them play keep away if they're up.

The game was close up until the 3rd period (4-2 I think), and their skill level wasnt drastically better. A few bad mistakes (2 of our 4 D-men were out and we had 2 forwards playing d) in our zone and in a matter of 5 minutes it was 7-2. Plus it was getting chippy in the 3rd, so I really doubt the keep-away was altruistic.

Well, I think the intent there was to not run up the score further. I don't think you would've appreciated them continuing to push for goals, try michigan moves, putting the toe of their blade on the puck or over celebrating goals when they were already up by 5 late in the game either. At the same time I can see how the team playing keep away would come off as disrepectful.

I can definitely see how that situation would've been frustrating. Perhaps saying to them at a faceoff or after a game that while you appreciated them trying to not run up the score or trying show boat moves, you'd all rather just play out the game than have them play keep away if they're up.

That is really thoughtful advice if indeed that was their intent.

I have never seen a game of keep away such as described when the score difference was that great. Maybe in the last minute of play and the difference was two goals. Sometimes when the score is completely one sided, teams will slow up a bit and make very deliberate passes and move players around for sniper shots or just continue to run the game as they have been.

Very frustrating though in those situations which requires a lot of discipline and anger management.

The break away slight return thing might have set me off though, being a goaltender. After something like that it is difficult to find the motivation to continue to play a team like that with the same energy as the start of that period.

Either that or I start making saves with the pads only and hook their skates with my stick as they go by.

Maybe in a younger league, that'd be fine, but in 40+... ehhhh. It's borderline. Since they weren't that much better, it would seem that they just wanted to hold on to the lead and not run the score up. In our game this past Friday we did the same thing, but the score was 3 to 2, and we weren't going into the attack zone. It was up to the blue line, met with a wall of their players, so we would dish it back to our Dmen and just play keep away. They didn't seem to pissed about. The game was very very evenly matched, so it seemed to fit.