Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoublinUp

Un-Written Rules of Hockey

Maybe in a younger league, that'd be fine, but in 40+... ehhhh. It's borderline. Since they weren't that much better, it would seem that they just wanted to hold on to the lead and not run the score up. In our game this past Friday we did the same thing, but the score was 3 to 2, and we weren't going into the attack zone. It was up to the blue line, met with a wall of their players, so we would dish it back to our Dmen and just play keep away. They didn't seem to pissed about. The game was very very evenly matched, so it seemed to fit.

Hold on to a 4 goal lead...4 goals?....with 3 minutes left?....and on a power play?

Sorry...I dont buy it.

If they were trying to spare our feelings, why not just dump it in? Playing keepaway by its very nature is going to frustrate the other team.

Maybe in a younger league, that'd be fine, but in 40+... ehhhh. It's borderline. Since they weren't that much better, it would seem that they just wanted to hold on to the lead and not run the score up. In our game this past Friday we did the same thing, but the score was 3 to 2, and we weren't going into the attack zone. It was up to the blue line, met with a wall of their players, so we would dish it back to our Dmen and just play keep away. They didn't seem to pissed about. The game was very very evenly matched, so it seemed to fit.

Hold on to a 4 goal lead...4 goals?....with 3 minutes left?....and on a power play?

Sorry...I dont buy it.

If they were trying to spare our feelings, why not just dump it in? Playing keepaway by its very nature is going to frustrate to other team.

You don't have to buy anything, I personally thing it's borderline because my team employs that tactic in close games. Obviously, your game wasn't that close towards the end.

I'll agree that three minutes with that lead is soft. Were they trying to avoid any contact with your team as well so as not to engage a physical response from you?

There was no physical contact pretty much the whole game....a little chippiness with stickes, etc...that was it....but playing keepaway was what incited the physical reaction.

a few rules

dont showboat hard after a goal (a fist pump is good enough) especially at shinny

no cheap shots (league games or shinny)

dont run the score (league games)

short shifts (shinny or league games)

dont crash the crease (especially at shinny)

switch it up and play D every now and then at shinny to give the d men a chance to play forward.

dont leave your goalie hanging out to dry at shinny, if you ever want them to come back.

dont take shinny to seriously...its shinny for goodness sakes. ive seen fights break out because of rules 1 and 2 being broken at shinny...

final unwritten rule...always have fun and be a good sport.

More unwritten rules:

If you bring your girl to hockey, tell her to expect to see a little flesh whilst we change. And remember that we may have a slightly larger penis than you. Now we are not going to change right in front of her but she should be warned that sweaty clothes must be removed in favor of drier attire.

Don't block the goaltender's access to the fan the entire time you are "on the bench". Sometimes that little bit of moving air in our general direction is refreshing so try not to take all of it.

We really cannot emphasis the dark and light jersey thing enough. It's so simple but always ignored. Just put on the jersey to match sides once teams are chosen. Don't make us break out with the pennies pull overs.

I am sure it’s written in one of the previous posts, but it can’t be reiterated enough: keep your stick down! I took a stick to the face last night playing pickup and the offender had the puck (and a full cage). I have no idea what he was trying to do, maybe put the puck between my legs and then cut inside me, but he hit my mouth with enough force to chip my left upper front tooth (I was wearing a custom mouth guard molded by a dentist) in addition to splitting open my lip for stitches. This is an especially important rule when there is a mix of full cages, half shields, and no facial protection.

What is the boards opinion of this situation:

We were losing 7-2 in a 40+ league game with 3 minutes left. The other team then started playing keep away with the puck. As they moved into our zone, they would then turn around and pass it back into their zone and continue playing keep away. This was even during their power play. They even had a break away, and the guy veered away at the last minute and skated back out of the zone and passes back into their zone for some more keep away.

Is this against the un-written rules? Is this douch-baggery? How would you react?

I will tell you how I reacted....but i wanted to hear from others first.

Sounds to me like they were trying not to run up the score further and just get the game over with. It would have made more sense to gain the zone and pass around until there is a shot that they have to take. Ragging back to their own zone isn't the best move.

It would have been better for them to put the puck deep in the zone and play it around the boards without really trying to shoot than to just toss it back out of the zone and play keep away. That way you would have felt like you were still competing. I would call it being douchey. There is alot more ignorant things they could have done.

I am sure it’s written in one of the previous posts, but it can’t be reiterated enough: keep your stick down! I took a stick to the face last night playing pickup and the offender had the puck (and a full cage). I have no idea what he was trying to do, maybe put the puck between my legs and then cut inside me, but he hit my mouth with enough force to chip my left upper front tooth (I was wearing a custom mouth guard molded by a dentist) in addition to splitting open my lip for stitches. This is an especially important rule when there is a mix of full cages, half shields, and no facial protection.

I think everybody should be required to play without a visor or cage at some point. I don't think you're completely aware of how vulnerable you are until the first time you play without anything covering your face or eyes.

We were losing 7-2 in a 40+ league game with 3 minutes left. The other team then started playing keep away with the puck. As they moved into our zone, they would then turn around and pass it back into their zone and continue playing keep away. This was even during their power play. They even had a break away, and the guy veered away at the last minute and skated back out of the zone and passes back into their zone for some more keep away.

Is this against the un-written rules? Is this douch-baggery? How would you react?

This would have set me off as well. They are basically preventing you from playing something that even resembles hockey. If they really want to not run up the score they'd just dump it in. From the way it sounds, they are scared of giving up the lead. Now if you say that your league goes on a goal differential as a tie breaker, it is a little more understandable but still terrible in my book.

It's absolutely douchebaggery, and for the most part ragging the puck in you own end is pathetic and breaking an unwritten rule, you just need to throw an intense fore-check at them.

The biggest offense is turning away from a breakaway. There is a difference between not running up the score and rubbing it in.

It's absolutely douchebaggery, and for the most part ragging the puck in you own end is pathetic and breaking an unwritten rule, you just need to throw an intense fore-check at them.

The biggest offense is turning away from a breakaway. There is a difference between not running up the score and rubbing it in.

That would be considered douchebaggery at its finest. Have they ever heard of just dumping it in and sending one forechecker and drop four back in D? That's what we usually end up doing if we ever get up by that much or try to get the ppl who don't score a lot of goals some chances at shots on net. As for the breakaway he should have skated it in and shot at the goalies chest or "missed the net" if they didn't want to look like douchebags.

That would be considered douchebaggery at its finest. Have they ever heard of just dumping it in and sending one forechecker and drop four back in D? That's what we usually end up doing if we ever get up by that much or try to get the ppl who don't score a lot of goals some chances at shots on net. As for the breakaway he should have skated it in and shot at the goalies chest or "missed the net" if they didn't want to look like douchebags.

I was just about to say shoot six-hole on the breakaway. Machinehead beat me to it.

For the record, my wife (who watches but doesn't play) just asked me what I was typing. After explaining the breakaway turnaround even SHE says it's not cool. She also laughed at douchewaffles.

i got bitched at (sort of) for fore checking/skating once (instead of standing around waiting for a pass?). was at a game, not pick up or anything

I think everybody should be required to play without a visor or cage at some point. I don't think you're completely aware of how vulnerable you are until the first time you play without anything covering your face or eyes.

agreed.

for about the first 2-4 games per season, i find myself yelling at dudes to "keep your stick down, or take your cage off" one guy did it again after i told him to watch it and i ended up chasing him to his bench... where his teammates echoed my sentiments.

most people over the age of 25 seem to get it, though.

here's another unwritten rule: PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH. if you're going to lecture everyone on the bench, follow it up on the ice.

here's another unwritten rule: PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH. if you're going to lecture everyone on the bench, follow it up on the ice.

And admit it when you don't. We all have bad shifts from time to time.

Agreed, Im the first one to make sure the other guy is ok if I clip or trip him even if its a close game.

Don't trip a guy in front of the net when a guy at the point is shooting.

Today at pick up (I'm sure it was a mistake) a guy on my team wound up nice and high, and I was in front of the net. Just before I made a move to get out of the way the guy behind put his stick between my legs (Again, I'm sure it was accidental). Long story short a trip/thrown off balance makes you very vulnerable.

Don't shower the goalie, intentionally, with ice when stopping.

Don't hack at the goalies glove when it's NEAR the puck on the ice or when they have it covered up.

Don't shoot at the goalies head.

agreed.

for about the first 2-4 games per season, i find myself yelling at dudes to "keep your stick down, or take your cage off" one guy did it again after i told him to watch it and i ended up chasing him to his bench... where his teammates echoed my sentiments.

most people over the age of 25 seem to get it, though.

Either older players or players higher up the skill ladder. The times I've been lumberjacked in the head have all been by lower level players with cages. The other week at pick-up I went to get a guy in front of the net, a pass goes through his feet, and he whirls around with his stick at shoulder level. He looked like a helicopter and just about took my head off. Luckily I was wearing a cage at the time. As I play with higher skilled players (most of whom wear visors or nothing), there's less and less high sticking around. Accidents do happen, but there's generally no reason to have your stick that high. Some people just don't understand that.

And yes, I agree with practice what you preach. I've played on and have watched a team where the most vocal guy on the bench is the laziest and most undisciplined player on the team. Yelling and telling everybody what to do, but can't finish the game because he's so out of shape and sits in the penalty box atleast 2 times a game. I suppose I can't really fault him for being out of shape, but if you're going to coach the whole team, atleast lead by example.

I'm a big fan of just respecting other people and the fact a lot of us have to get up and go to work, class, or be with our families the next day. I got tripped a couple nights ago with the puck and was playing it in a sitting position on the ice trying to make a pass, all of the sudden something smashes into the back of my helmet/neck. I couldn't see what it was, but next thing I knew two of my teammates zip past me and put someone onto the ice. Apparently the guy who had tripped me also decided I shouldn't have a head and two handed me from behind across the back of my head. The guy ended up apologizing, but only after my teammates had threatened to put him in the hospital.

Christ.

I think some guys just have a complete lack of self control. I know with adrenaline/playing the game can get to you, but two handing someone while they're down ... I just can't imagine doing that.

HattrickSwayze

And yes, I agree with practice what you preach. I've played on and have watched a team where the most vocal guy on the bench is the laziest and most undisciplined player on the team. Yelling and telling everybody what to do, but can't finish the game because he's so out of shape and sits in the penalty box atleast 2 times a game. I suppose I can't really fault him for being out of shape, but if you're going to coach the whole team, atleast lead by example.

We got a guy like that on my team. Except he takes partial credit for his "coaching" when good things happen on the ice. Meanwhile when he starts screaming I have to move and can only take so much of it and the fact that his booze/cig breath could stop a charging rhino. :huh:

Don't hack at the goalies glove when it's NEAR the puck on the ice or when they have it covered up.

Don't shoot at the goalies head.

I really don't have much of an issue with these under certain conditions however. More than two hacks is uncalled for. I can understand the excitement and drive that is involved in wanting to score but more than two taps at a covered puck is unnecessary in my book and three might get a response from me.

If I am on my knees and have it held with glove near my stomach, might let you get away with one tap of your stick at my chest or glove but if it is too hard and more than once, you would get a response from me.

Head shots should not occur at all in warm up. During a game if I see you smile and then let loose some cob web clearer, I will shake the first one off but you are gonna get tripped if I see it again.

But that is me.

A guy pulled a bull move on me last night. We were losing 6-0, the other team was just better than us. Not much we could do about it. So throughout the game i keep ending up getting a one on one with the same defender. He was good, no matter what i tried he would stop me and would keep making comments like, "not today buddy", or "like thats gonna work". so in the third period I caught him out of position and got around him. Once i got about a foot gap between us i was at the hashmarks about to shoot. next thing i know i get shoved hard from behind and get knocked over. I proceed to try and get up but i was moving to fast and just blasted the boards sitting straight up against my back. Not good when you had bach surgery a year ago. I thought that was a little unneccesary.