Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
aal

How to order custom Bauer skates

I'm close to ready to order my second pair of custom Bauer's. I have a pair of One95's that I like quite a bit, but I'm looking for an even better fit.

When I had my current pair made, I asked for the height of the boot to be the same as the One90's were and also to reduce the overall volume to that of the One90. They did a pretty good job on the boot height, but the volume in the lower portion of the boot is still significantly different than the One90's I had before. I was wondering if anyone knows what I can specify in order to reduce the overall volume of the boot. I really liked the overall profile of the One90 and the wrap it gave my foot. I find the One95's to be a far superior skate, but the ALIVE doesn't wrap as well on the top of the foot. According to the info above from eastwesthockey.com, the lacing can be cut back by 1/8" or 3/8", but only for the top 4 eyelets. What is the benefit of this. Why only the top four? Also, does low vamping mean that the quarters will be shorter and better for a thinner profile foot? That is what I am looking for. Any help is appreciated.

I went the 3/8" vamping on my TOs...sure glad I did. Perfect sizing with measurements. Didn't know the new toecap in the TO was a bit taller than in the past. Compensate the height there with foam under my superfeet yellows. Other than that the boot was perfect out of the box...never had to bake them. 5 months of play and still worth every penny...and look as good as new.

I'm pretty confused now. I was under the impression that the fit of the Total One was virtually identical to the One95, with maybe a touch more volume. I am in an 8 C/A One95 with low vamping right now. I tried on a 7.5 D/A TO (they didn't have an 8) and found them to be about as wide as my skates with less volume. I'm wondering how this is possible. One explanation is that the half size down makes the difference, but I doubt it. Another is that my One95s have a One90 tongue which takes up less volume than the TO tongue. I have a bit of extra room in my heel in my current skates, so I want to order custom TO's with C/AA width and low vamping, but I'm worried that I will end up with a skate I can't fit my foot into? I'm going to find a shop that has size 8 TO's and try them on again, but until then, can anyone else tell me what their thoughts are on the width/volume differences between these skates and whether the new tongue is the actually that much thicker than the One90 tongue? Thanks.

I'm pretty confused now. I was under the impression that the fit of the Total One was virtually identical to the One95, with maybe a touch more volume. I am in an 8 C/A One95 with low vamping right now. I tried on a 7.5 D/A TO (they didn't have an 8) and found them to be about as wide as my skates with less volume. I'm wondering how this is possible. One explanation is that the half size down makes the difference, but I doubt it. Another is that my One95s have a One90 tongue which takes up less volume than the TO tongue. I have a bit of extra room in my heel in my current skates, so I want to order custom TO's with C/AA width and low vamping, but I'm worried that I will end up with a skate I can't fit my foot into? I'm going to find a shop that has size 8 TO's and try them on again, but until then, can anyone else tell me what their thoughts are on the width/volume differences between these skates and whether the new tongue is the actually that much thicker than the One90 tongue? Thanks.

I voiced my opinion before, but seem to be in the minority: from my personal experience the sizing between One95 & T1s isn't the same - T1s fit wider & longer, and require I'd say on average going down a .5 size from One95.

it was confirmed though that the internals are different & the padding + liner seems to be thinner so it shouldn't be unexpected (but unfortunate though) that the sizing is different.

BTW I still don't understand what 'vamping' means :( Anyone care to explain plz?!

Edited by SolarWind

I voiced my opinion before, but seem to be in the minority: from my personal experience the sizing between One95 & T1s isn't the same - T1s fit wider & longer, and require I'd say on average going down a .5 size from One95.

it was confirmed though that the internals are different & the padding + liner seems to be thinner so it shouldn't be unexpected (but unfortunate though) that the sizing is different.

BTW I still don't understand what 'vamping' means :( Anyone care to explain plz?!

Definition: Part of the "upper," the vamp is a part of the shoe that can cover anywhere on the top part of the foot between where the toes and the legs connect to the foot.

Remember that stock Supremes are built on an oversized last - they have been since 8090. So a D is an E.

When you get custom skates, they are true to last, so a D is a D. That is something that when being fitted for customs should be taken into account.

THat is why the D you tried on in the store felt wider than your customs.

I'm saying the D I tried on in the store felt about as narrow as my C's do, so other way around. As long as I know that the customs are all built on a true last, I guess I can just order based on my last pair.

How much of a difference would a AA heel be from an A? I understand it is hard to quantify, but I'm wondering... if I have a bit of room in my One95 A heel, should go down to a AA on my TO's? Anybody on here have a custom bauer skate with AA heel?

It will be tighter. Easier to open up a heel than to close a wide one.

This might be a silly question but how do you know if the heel pocket in a pair of skates is too big or too small for you? If your heel lifts up, does it mean the pocket is too big? What would happen if the heel pocket is too small for your foot? Thanks.

LE, Kane and Malkin Winter Classics aren't options for a retail custom skate.

unfortunately...

I was quite upset that LE wasn't an option (tried to put black heel on the T1), but was told that St. Jerome simply doesn't have the parts that are only available for the Chinese run models...

unfortunately...

I was quite upset that LE wasn't an option (tried to put black heel on the T1), but was told that St. Jerome simply doesn't have the parts that are only available for the Chinese run models...

Damn, I was gonna ask for the exact same thing. Supreme logo and heel cup from the One100 LE. I don't like the gold personally. Oh well. It wouldn't surprise me if they came out with a Total One LE once the APX comes out in order to keep interest in the Supreme line. It's too bad that they don't offer any aesthetic options for custom skates.

You're getting a custom skate to the size of your foot. No need for the Flexlite Last.

Yeah, but unless you are a pro, they don't make your skates from a mold. The flexlite last might be just as good or better than sending tracings and measurements. Also, the ankle area can't be custom to your foot without a mold.

I'm not sure how much they actually use the measurements either. The order forms (at least the ones that I used) are ancient. They haven't changed in at least 10 years. The forms said that my measurements were E width in the forefoot. I'm actually a C.

They don't make your skates from a foot mold...but with the tracings and the measurements they certainly do the best job I have ever seen. My TOs are the best fit I have ever had by a mile. The biggest difference was their attention to the volume in the upper ankle - an area I have struggled with for proper fit. I was so tired of getting a great fit in the front and mid sections...to only have to crank on the laces to get a good ankle wrap on my skinny ankles. This leads to a better forward flex for me...because I don't have the quarters wrapping toward the front of my leg...and with my personal preference of a stiff boot it only restricted that flex. After switching from the reflex tongue to the Graf tongue...the proper upper measurement has been the single biggest affect in performance.

so are you saying they can make a x:60 fit similar to one95/100s?

If it's a custom...it's not about a retail last fitting like another retail last...it's about any boot you want fitted properly.

If it's a custom...it's not about a retail last fitting like another retail last...it's about any boot you want fitted properly.

nice for the extra 100 or so that is really worth it then