Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
aal

How to order custom Bauer skates

Anybody know where I can get a pair of custom Bauer skates done in Winnipeg?

I've called all the places I can think of and none of them have any idea. The closest I got was: "Uh, yeah, we can get them it, but we have no idea how to measure you and don't have any of the paperwork."

?

Anyway, I know of a place that'll do custom Reebok/CCM, but that's about it.

Anybody know where I can get a pair of custom Bauer skates done in Winnipeg?

I've called all the places I can think of and none of them have any idea. The closest I got was: "Uh, yeah, we can get them it, but we have no idea how to measure you and don't have any of the paperwork."

?

Anyway, I know of a place that'll do custom Reebok/CCM, but that's about it.

Doesn't a Bauer rep do it? That's what I was told in the states.

Doesn't a Bauer rep do it? That's what I was told in the states.

A sales rep can, but it's normally a retailer or an individual fitter who does it. And in many cases, a retailer or fitter has more experience than the sales rep in the area.

A sales rep can, but it's normally a retailer or an individual fitter who does it. And in many cases, a retailer or fitter has more experience than the sales rep in the area.

That's good to know. I contacted B&R sports here in MI. I was going to get customs before my 8090's broke and I was forced to purchase skates asap.

Topics merged

Yeah, I read this whole thread, didn't post in it because I thought my question was more specific. Sorry.

Regardless, I guess I'll just go for a pair of CCM's, because nobody here seems to be able to do it.

Kind of ridiculous in a hockey city like Winnipeg...

Edited by tareatingrat

It's because not everyone can do it. It isn't easy dialing in a skate perfectly and building the right spec sheet. The fitter is outlying the specs for the manufacturer to create.

The more you do custom fittings, the better you get at doing them since you learn something from each fitting. Really, experience is everything in a custom skate fitter.

Okay, another question, then. I've read this topic a number of times, but didn't really find an answer.

What, exactly, should a fitter be doing?

Some are saying a tracing is taken, some are saying they just go by measurements.

What measurements? Can I do these myself so I have an idea if the guy who is about to take $700 from me is doing a good job?

Is it a good idea to send a tracing anyway?

What questions are you, the fitter, asking to make sure I get a good fit?

To those who know: I don't know if you want to be giving out free advice to somebody who isn't going to be buying something from you, and I can understand that, but any help would be appreciated.

If someone isn't doing all of those things, he's half-assing it.

Every time I do a fitting, I specifically explain everything to the client that I am going to do with the skate. Clarity is important, and not two fittings are the same.

I'm going to adhere to your last sentence at this point.

I think another valuable step in the fitting process is trying on stock skates, and identifying the problem areas. If there is too much or not enough room somewhere then you know know you need to make a correction. There are ways to alter the interior dimensions in every direction, and it is important that you have the proper fit all over.

You probably already know your heal and toes width, but you may not have the midpoint width figured out. Pay attention to width on the inside and outside in the arch area. They can be pushed out on either side by Bauer.

Another thing to consider is the height of the sidewall (terminology?). If you flip the tongue out there should be consistent space between the top of your foot and the top of the boot sides for the length of your foot. Then the tongue should be the right thickness to uniformly fill the space below the laces without too much pressure on the top of your foot. The tongue should not be bulging up the laces anywhere, but it should be firmly against them.

Good luck with the process.

James

Great video. I seen the foot molds my doctor was talking about in the video. He said if I ever wanted custom skates he could make both the right and left mold to give to a skate fitter.

I have a question. When you purchase custom skates from Bauer, do they keep all your foot information? Thanks!

Edited by natbat

Can you please find out how much he charges for two molds, and what process he uses to make it - carving or pouring hot plastic into a mold?

Cheers

My understanding from his tech is that they cast my foot and then pour a liquid into the casting. The liquid sets and then I have an exact mold. I am not sure what kind of liquid or the cost. All I know is that if you cannot find a good skate fitter, the custom process could be a disaster (that is why he recommended the molds). I am happy with my one80's so for me, its just conversation at this point. I did find out that one of my feet is larger then the other and that is why I have issues with my left foot.

In my case its a matter of going with a D toe cup or C toe cup to go with my custom ordered B forefoot. We are going back and forth on which toe cap to get. That's when Bauer offer that the skate could be relasted if wrong fit. So I'm guessing that means they would change toe caps and relast?

But what If I saved them time and money of pouring and modifying the positive into an actual shoe last and more importantly what if I feel that I can do a better job at making a shoe last then any Bauer employee, so I would ship them a finished shoe last (not a foot mold but an actual last) will they accept it?

Cheers.

yeah... that's exactly what I did, the molds ended up in the garbage I guess since Bauer managed to completely mess up the skates!

from experience I learned that if the shop doesn't know what they're doing then it doesn't matter what effort you put in on your end - things WILL go south :(

JR, what do you mean by negatives? if you took a mold of a foot and then made a two part negative with a side A and side B if I shipped them the two negatives it will be much harder for them to get a read on it compared to, if I pored plastic into the mold and then shipped the actual foot mold to them. Because they can simply take measures from that foot mold and pick a shoe last that matches it closely. As for weight, you can use urethane foam of 5lb density when pouring the mold then the whole foot mold would weight less then 500g.

Natbat your doctor does not make the shoe last, he makes a foot mold, which is useless, A shoe last is a different animal, it has a flat boot surface and must have a gap in order to flex it and take it out of the skate once its manufactured, also it must have proper support on top to mount it on a lasting machine, that’s why I asked if he actually makes the shoe last or a foot old which are two different things.

Here is a urethane foot mold:

http://i39.tinypic.com/hrzp60.gif

And here is a shoe last:

http://cottagefootwe...11/03/lasts.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/o77vid.jpg

JR, can you please find out if they would take the actual shoe last meaning if someone made the last identical to the ones Bauer are using?

Cheers.

I understand he does not make the shoe last. My Doctor charges 350.00 for a mold. It would be easier and cheaper just to find a good Skate fitter when ordering customs. Edited by natbat